how are ya'll doing in league ?

BlueRaider

Registered
It’s insane to think how many matches in a row an APA team has to win to take home the trophy in Vegas. Just getting to Vegas/through Cities is already super difficult, and the brackets once you get out there are colossal. What is it, 10 matches or so to get to the finals? So counting Cities most teams that win it all are on 15+ match win streaks.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
So a week later, I have to play a SL3 again. I tell myself this is my chance to make up for last week, right?

First game, I have a freak accident and scratch on the 8 in the first game...here we go again.

Fortunately this particular 3 played a bit more like a 3 than last weeks opponent, and I managed to get my stuff back together and take the next four games. Sheesh!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
finished my 8ball session with a 5-1 and brn on the hill over a 6 whos really a 5
still doing good on apa,lol bca well find out tonight

my apa team will finish 1st or second, to bad we have a bye for the last week
the team thats neck and neck with us would have to score less than 6 for us to get 1st place and straight to tri cups

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s insane to think how many matches in a row an APA team has to win to take home the trophy in Vegas. Just getting to Vegas/through Cities is already super difficult, and the brackets once you get out there are colossal. What is it, 10 matches or so to get to the finals? So counting Cities most teams that win it all are on 15+ match win streaks.

This is why it takes a very calculated put together team with "managing handicaps" (sandbagging? I did not say that, no sir ;) ) things past just good play. As with the lottery, SOMEONE has to win, but if you look at local and national events, the same teams and players seem to finish in the top ranks much of the time. That is no accident.

BlueRaider

Registered
This is why it takes a very calculated put together team with "managing handicaps" (sandbagging? I did not say that, no sir ;) ) things past just good play. As with the lottery, SOMEONE has to win, but if you look at local and national events, the same teams and players seem to finish in the top ranks much of the time. That is no accident.
Yeah, in addition to a savvy captain, you pretty much have to have a team that's "all-in" on making it to Vegas and going deep. That's tough to find. I'm guessing that a lot of the teams that do well are comprised mostly/entirely of APA veterans who know what they're doing handicap-wise. And even if you have that, you still need a lot of luck.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
lol theres a local thats an apa 3 at a notorious room for sandbaggin whos got a fargo of 500ish
its not cute , and i dont play out of that room ever because of it and several other reasons

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
lol theres a local thats an apa 3 at a notorious room for sandbaggin whos got a fargo of 500ish
its not cute , and i dont play out of that room ever because of it and several other reasons
What I’m wondering is if the singles have the same structure. If someone won more than 5 or so in a row wouldn’t they almost definitely go up a level by default? Unless they lost their last something like 5-10 matches prior to the tournament?

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
What I’m wondering is if the singles have the same structure. If someone won more than 5 or so in a row wouldn’t they almost definitely go up a level by default? Unless they lost their last something like 5-10 matches prior to the tournament?
not sure really,

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Well I'm sitting in the Toronto airport waiting or my flight to Vegas.

If anyone is going to be at the Westgate for the next handful of days. I'll be playing in the masters. "Canada State Champs"
Tied 32nd yet again...lol. This is the fifth time in a row we haven't broken that barrier.

This year's team was the strongest yet, but my team mates struggled to get accustomed to the valley CB action. Honestly should have just made more of an effort to hit the practice tables.

Ended up going out 7-6, 7-6. Both sets provided opprotunities for us to take the win.

Oh well... At least we cashed. Gambled away my prize money on that V10 chalk... Stupid purchase imo, but at least the odds of it being useful are better then what I could expect from the craps tables...lol

Coyote501

Made the playoffs again. We are going in like we belong. Had alot of shit happen this session. Team captains boyfriend got killed in a accident, me and another guy got Covid........ Screwed us up. But we earned the playoffs and expect to win.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
i been hitting em really well, really got my break dialed in good thispast week, plenty of bnr`s in practice, even a 2 pack against a mate on sunday.
played well against the toughest team wed, was in every game, had a good bnr.
monday beat a 6, whos not really a 6, in 5 innings, 6 games 5 innings lol

thursday, the 3man league where the level is way lower, again im cursed by the 350 and unders
two weeks in a row i jump to hit the 8 and it goes in a different pocket. i run down to the 8 and miss, and a 380 runs an 8 ball out on me, another guy just out right tells me hes sandbagging for vegas, cause everyones doing it and i guess if your sandbagging for vegas you must be bringing home some big cash. i dunno, but im not playing this lower level league again , im simply cursed. and i was hittn well in practice, confident on my game , not tonight or pretty much any night on the 3 man team.
fuggetaboutit

Last edited:

Coyote501

We got crushed in the playoff match.
I shot really well, almost broke and ran and damn near made the 8 on the break. But the guy I played against was a little bit better. We are getting a couple stronger shooters this coming session, so hopefully things fall our way.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Sandbaggers and now the mystical powers of low level players in bca make me wanna straight up quit league all together and just play for money and in tournaments where you know they are playing to win for sure
But then I'd be playing alot less and would have to find some sort of a life...........
It's a classic catch 22

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I just don't know what to think or do about it other than to stop.
Can't play a lick of bca anymore.
Every 400 I leave with a full table bank on the 8 drills it. Every 350-500 I've beaten in races will run 7 ball outs after a scratch on the break. Or will if I just on the 8 it finds a different pocket on every 250 I play. Can't play safe on any lower player because they'll drill it. Haven't won a game in 2 weeks. Even when I'm gifted bih with a wide open table, I go to shoot one hanging in the side and the gd thing stalls out instead of bouncing off the rail

Don't matter if I practice 4 hrs before or show up 10 mins to start. If I come in with my game face on or having a laugh with other people all night.same results

unfortunately I'm in the middle of a 40 week bca season that if I quit all the teams money is forfeit.

Can't get any wins , I'll just see how far down the Fargo gets before I can find a different mentality to playing or call it quits for good , league is getting less and less fun. Surprisingly difficult to manage emotions and mentality with as much table time I get.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Can't get any wins , I'll just see how far down the Fargo gets before I can find a different mentality to playing or call it quits for good , league is getting less and less fun. Surprisingly difficult to manage emotions and mentality with as much table time I get.
The CCS (ACS) league I play in has given thought to reporting to fargo. I really enjoy my fun league night with my buddies, but that change would probably have me quit. I play to win but have zero interest in being forced to grind or jepordize my competitive rating on a night that just as much about drinking a few beers.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I can't wait for this summer season to end. The whole playing with my off hand is really gotten long in the tooth for me. The novelty is gone and leaving countless points on the table has become extremely frustrating.

Sure I can string some balls together and pull out a shot or two that most (in league) can't with their good hand, but it's nowhere near enough to keep me entertained.

Just a few more weeks

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just don't know what to think or do about it other than to stop.
Can't play a lick of bca anymore.
Every 400 I leave with a full table bank on the 8 drills it. Every 350-500 I've beaten in races will run 7 ball outs after a scratch on the break. Or will if I just on the 8 it finds a different pocket on every 250 I play. Can't play safe on any lower player because they'll drill it. Haven't won a game in 2 weeks. Even when I'm gifted bih with a wide open table, I go to shoot one hanging in the side and the gd thing stalls out instead of bouncing off the rail

Don't matter if I practice 4 hrs before or show up 10 mins to start. If I come in with my game face on or having a laugh with other people all night.same results

unfortunately I'm in the middle of a 40 week bca season that if I quit all the teams money is forfeit.

It sounds like you could use some coaching, or at least some mental help with the game. A great book for the mental side of sports is "The Inner Game of Tennis". It really helps you to calm the mind and your thought process. It's worked wonders for myself and a few team members.

If you don't want to get a coach, then simply change your equipment to LD or non-LD ( the opposite of what you currently use). Some may find this counterintuitive, but it will force your brain to learn new concepts. When I get in a funk, I change something, be it equipment, stance, aiming method, to help myself get out of the process I've grown accustomed to recently. A coach will always expedite the process.

The more you continue to lose, the more frustrated you will become and you will mentally separate yourself from the game. It's very discouraging when it gets to that point.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
It sounds like you could use some coaching, or at least some mental help with the game. A great book for the mental side of sports is "The Inner Game of Tennis". It really helps you to calm the mind and your thought process. It's worked wonders for myself and a few team members.

If you don't want to get a coach, then simply change your equipment to LD or non-LD ( the opposite of what you currently use). Some may find this counterintuitive, but it will force your brain to learn new concepts. When I get in a funk, I change something, be it equipment, stance, aiming method, to help myself get out of the process I've grown accustomed to recently. A coach will always expedite the process.

The more you continue to lose, the more frustrated you will become and you will mentally separate yourself from the game. It's very discouraging when it gets to that point.
Second that regarding changing cues. Bring out the cuetec clad stick. I also practice banks exclusively sometimes when I am in a funk. Anything to shake things up.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Thanks I'll check that book out. I agree I need some mental side coaching just wouldn't know where to begin other than the book
I agree I felt something needs changing, I'm getting out of a few leagues at this one room I play them in and going to another. Going from an apa league to a 1pkt league also.
I tried to change how I approached the game last night but just to frustrated at that point. Can't change my cue though it's too pretty and expensive to not use 😂

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I tried to change how I approached the game last night but just to frustrated at that point. Can't change my cue though it's too pretty and expensive to not use 😂
It sounds to me like the problems you're having are out of your control. If the lower rated players are making shots regularly against you that they shouldn't be making because of their ratings, that sh*t will play out on them at some point in time. The percentages will catch up to them. Keep plugging away. Only way out of a slump is to shoot your way out. I can tell from some of your past postings that you are a capable pool player. This is why handicapped pool (even with Fargo rates) is looked upon with disdain among many posters here. Sometimes the things that happen from game to game just don't play out as being fair. You should stay on and rise above it. Your time to shine will manifest itself again!

Maniac