how are ya'll doing in league ?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just had a fun thing in our inhouse league playoff. I have been traveling for work and missed a bunch of league nights, but my son was live streaming the playoffs. I was playing pool at a bar near Indianapolis, having some scotch and a cigar, while texting my team mates and watching them play :) Was as much fun as being there LOL

I was here

Capture1.JPG

They were there

dquarasr

Registered
Played Scotch Doubles last night. Singles match against a 3 (I’m a 5) resulted in a 4-0 win in a 4-2 race. Partner (SL3 vs SL2) won 3-0 in a 3-2 race. Doubles went to hill-hill which we won, so feeling pretty good. In first place after two weeks.

I am shooting well after securing my elbow up, no drop, accuracy through the roof (for me). I expect (hope) to move to SL6 soon if I keep playing like I know I can. I look forward to matches in this Scotch Doubles league against SL 7 to truly gauge my progress.

jaywheel

Registered
Won my first MVP in APA this summer in 8 ball. I'm a 6 in 8 and 9 ball.
Fall session started this week. Played a 9 yesterday. Won the race 46-29 which gave me an 18-2 win. We were trailing 48-32 when my match started. What looked like a massacre in the making ended up being a 50-50 tie.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My 9-bll Team Qualified for States at our recent Tri-Cup event. No thanks to me. I got spanked in each of the first two rounds, they didn't play me in the final round. (I didn't disagree)

I'm thrilled for our team. Just felt really down on how I played. I can handle losing. I just get very down on myself for poor play. By my estimation, its probably 70% mechanics, and 30% mental. If I get the mechanics better, the mental issues should be eased as well.

The way I look at it, I have about 8 months to try and get my act together before States in June ;)

Coyote501

Not been shooting as sharp as last session. But just sharp enough to win 3/4. Seriously I am getting just lucky enough to win. But I'll take it.

dquarasr

Registered
Since making the discovery correcting my grip, I’ve gone rackless two matches in a row.

In Scotch Doubles 8-ball after five weeks I haven’t lost an individual or doubles match yet.

I hope this post doesn’t jinx it. 😀

Last night I played a two-cushion safety based on a video from Niels The Terminator, freezing the CB up against one of my opponent’s own balls.

Feeling pretty good lately.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I really wondering what changes I can make in my game after I get and read the book that's been recommended most for the mental side, with winning in mind
I know it won't be an overnight thing. But very curious on what it has to offer

dquarasr

Registered
OMG, so many things wrong to report here. My Scotch Doubles APA league:

Before tonight, I had won 91% of available points, undefeated in singles, and undefeated in Scotch Doubles.

My arrogance: I've been having trouble making any balls on the break. So I gave my opponent the break to start the match. I'm a new SL6, he's a SL5. 5-4 race. This is my first mistake, being so confident I could steamroll anyone based on how I've been playing.

First rack, opponent runs all the way to the 8, but misses. I run 5 balls, set up a perfect 30-degree angle, I'm set up perfectly to make my last two balls and the 8. I rattle the 6th ball. Lose the rack. Ugh. My second mistake.

Second rack, I shoot after opponent makes a handful of balls after his break. Make a couple of balls, then try a 2-way offensive/defensive shot. Kiss-kiss, ruh-roh, there goes the 8!!!!! Down 2-0. My third mistake.

Third rack, I'm now in my head. My final mistake. Couldn't make two balls in a row if they were both hangers. It went downhill from there.

So, for the first time this session, I lost. I deserve it. Brings me back down to earth. And I'll NEVER give up the break again. Rather, I'll try to figure out why I suck breaking.

OK, so my partner wins 2-1. Got my $h!+ together, made some great shots in Scotch match, including the final shots of the match, a very long down-the-rail-past-the-side-pocket rail hugger to set my partner up for a dead-straight money 8-ball side-pocket shot, so I redeemed myself. We won the doubles match 4 rack to 0, so 6-0 team points, won the night 8-4 before bonus points (don't get me started on APA "bonus" points. I don't understand why I get points for filling out the sheet correctly, and staying current with match dues. Shouldn't points to taken away rather than given?)

After the match was over, I played the SL5 who beat me, informal, no $$. Beat him 3-1, including a break-and-run. I didn't even realize it was a BNR until he mentioned that he didn't shoot. If I had known my last two balls I was on a BNR, I probably would have screwed it up. I had little recollection of the rack. I've only had one 8-ball BNR in league play, and I've rarely done it in practice. But I did one tonight. Even though it didn't count for anything, I'll use it to build upon.

And I'll try to recall why I let the first rack of league play, then the second early 8, get into my head where I played the rest of the match as a SL3. At least I recovered and played like a SL6 in Scotch match, thankfully. I'll chalk this up (pun intended) as a learning experience.

Coyote501

I almost pulled off a hat-trick this past Wednesday. Won the lag and damn near broke and ran. Had 1 ball left, but no shot. 12 Ball was buried in a cluster and I couldn't break it out. Second game was an inch from making the eight on the break. But I did go Rackless.
We got a couple good new shooters on the team, so I don't to play the opposing teams ace anymore. I'm a SL4 and been taking on 5s and 6s in past sessions. Now I'm shooting against 4s and actually doing pretty well. Half way through the session and I'm 5-1. Hopefully I can finish the session strong.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Still slogging away...no real consistency. I get a sense of some small level of improvement, but I still struggle at times when I shouldn't.

I managed a win against a young player who is really good (far better than me) and only gonna get better. He's kicked my butt the last few times we've played, so I was happy to be in it at the end. Somehow ended up squeaking it out. (Not really certain that he was giving it his all, but I don't get caught up in all that.) So there was a small sense of satisfaction with that, I guess.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I started in a 1pkt league. Won 3 of 4 so far lost the first today, got to hill hill with one ball, alot of fun.
Its a lot of fun with my low handicap lol.
Several of them I probably couldn't beat without it . But it's a good vibe and environment change which is what I been wanting.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Not playing super good, not in the top ten but can feel good that I have the second most bnr"s and tables runs in the league
Top guy has more than double me lol

dquarasr

Registered
Last night had a really fun match with my best competition in Scotch Doubles league. In prior matches 4-4 races I won 4-1, and got shout out 0-4. Last night I was down 0-2, then 1-3 but clawed my way back to hill-hill.

Ran to just the 3-ball left, set up an in-your-sleep 20° shot to the side pocket. Someone at the next table made a joke; distracted, I didn’t stand back up as I should have, went tittie-tittie and missed with perfect leave on the 8. Darn. Shoulda-woulda-coulda.

To get on the hill my opponent left me a safe with both CB and OB about 1” off the long rail about 1” apart. I had to bank from one long rail across the table to the diagonal corner pocket. Made a hero shot (for me) and left whitey perfect for the 8 and win.

This was a fun chess match. Between the two of us we recorded 21 defensive shots. Was great fun playing a smart opponent who can run out at any time.

Win some, lose some.

7-ft table had brand new (not a good brand) cloth. OMG! I could draw back full table across the full table! Can’t do that at home on my older 860HR!

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I finally did it, I made it to that point, can't stand league pool any more no longer fun, quitting them all but the 1pkt

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
had a couple decent weeks of playing, nothing earth shattering, but i felt better about what I was doing. Last night, I'm ahead of my opponent most of the game, he catches me on the next to the last rack, then flukes on to keep his run going, and to finish. Sigh. At least I didn't get my butt kicked. I had my opportunities, so the fluke shouldn't have even been a factor....

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Last night, I'm ahead of my opponent most of the game, he catches me on the next to the last rack, then flukes on to keep his run going, and to finish.
It's not the fluked shot that bothers one so much as it is the amount of points they sometimes get AFTER the fluke!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
It's not the fluked shot that bothers one so much as it is the amount of points they sometimes get AFTER the fluke!
yeah...well, he only needed a couple more after that. I only needed 4 or 5 myself. So it did kind of hang in the balance, but I dogged an easy 9 earlier, which should have not only given me two more, but who knows how many more assuming I could actually make a ball on the break 😉