How did you first start playing and get in the APA? **Caution, long thread**

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was 1988. I had finished basic training and tech school for the Air Force and had just been stationed in Nebraska. What is there to do in Nebraska when you're under 21? NOTHING! There is a pool table in our day room in the barracks, so I decide to play a game. I've always liked playing pool, but never took it seriously. I had a good time playing so I figured this would be a good way to pass the time from now on.

The table was a Brunswick table. Don't know which type because at that time I didn't care about equipment. Except for the cue I was shooting with. It was a house cue with the awesome slip on tip!! So I decided to go out and buy a cue. Where does every player that doesn't know jack about pool, purchase their first cue? That's right...K-Mart!! Oh, it was a beauty! That wonderful screw on tip and that smooth plywood shaft. How could you beat it? Purchase made, time to go and play. I head back to the barracks and start playing. In a short time, others started to join me to play and it was a great time. None of us were worth a darn, so it was pretty competitive. We were playing for things like laundry detergent and who was going on the food run.

Occasionally, this one guy would come and watch us but would never play. This went on for weeks. We never said anything to him, because we were all new Airmen in the Air Force and we had seen him in uniform before and he was a Sergeant. Finally one day, I just simply asked him if he wanted to play and he said he would be right back. He went to his room, changed clothes and came back with this case that looked like it had a rifle in it. He pulled out a two piece cue, that looked sort of similar to ours...but not really. I remember breaking that game, and never breaking again!!!!! This guy was making that cue ball dance all around the table! It was going at all sorts of different angles and even BACKWARDS!! What the hell was that and how can I do it? It was the coolest thing that I had ever seen! I had to learn it! Eventually the other guys quit playing. To them it was no fun to lose, but not me. I wanted to learn how to play like this guy, and if that meant getting my butt kicked then so be it!

We would play almost every day. I never asked him to show me anything. I just watched him play. I would keep playing by myself for hours after he had gone. Then one day, I did it! I finally beat him in a game. He laughed and said 'good shooting kid'. It was ugly, I don't know how it happened, but it did. I still had no stroke and was still using center ball english a lot!! He told me that there were leagues and tournaments that I could play in when I was 21 and that if I wanted to play in them, that I should continue practicing. He asked me if that was something I would be interested in. After I told him yes, he told me to meet him in the day room that Saturday. I forget the time, but I was there already playing when he came in and asked if I was ready to go. I thought he meant to play some pool, but I was wrong. He asked if I had any money and if he could take me somewhere, and I said sure. He took me to a billiard store. When I walked in all I saw were pool tables everywhere and pool sticks all around the walls of the store! It was like pool equipment heaven! So I start looking at all these cues and was amazed. They were beautiful! Schon, Joss, McDermott and Meucci's all over the walls (I didn't know anything about custom cues or that they even existed). Apparently I was looking at the wrong walls, because for some reason some of those pieces of WOOD had prices in the $1000's! He said to me that since I was a beginner, it would be best to look at this other wall. There I saw, Dufferin, Viking, and Schmelke's. I decided on a plain looking Schmelke. It was only $80.

We went back to the barracks and he went to his room brought out his cue and gave me my first 2x2 case. It was a Porper case, but he told me that I could only have it under one condition. That I never put that K-Mart cue in it!! No problem! The cue went into my wall locker and never brought it out to play again.

We started to play a little and then he told me that this would be the last time that we would play together. I asked why and he told me that he gave me the basic tools to continue to learn and he wanted to see how I play in a couple of years when I as 21. His name was Roger.

So I continued to play by myself again. It was like a drug. I would come home from work, shower, change, and grab my cue and head into the day room. I would play for hours!

I learned how to put backspin on the ball and after that it was over! You all know that once a beginner learns backspin, that's all they ever want to use!! I realized quickly though that I could not just use backspin, and started experimenting with hitting the cue ball in different areas. I saw how it made the cue ball act after impact and started learning how to move the cue ball around the table and put it in the general area that I wanted it in. Not always successful mind you!

Eventually the guys that I played with originally saw that Roger was no longer playing, so they decided to start playing again. They noticed how much I had improved and then they were interested in learning. We went back to that same billiard store and they all bought cues as well. None of us had the same cue.

Because I had been playing a little longer than them, I was the first one to develop any kind of stroke, but I was so excited to be the best at something (within our group of friends), that I couldn't keep it to myself. I started showing them the little things that I had learned, and in no time we were playing for laundry detergent again.

We found out that there was an intramural league on the base. Different squadrons around the base had pool teams and together they formed a league. At that time our squadron didn't, so I asked if we could start a team. After all the okay's were done, all of us played together in this league. We lost A LOT, but man was it a good time. We found out about the APA from others in this league that were also of age and played at local bars in the APA league. At that time you had to be 21, so we made a pact that we would wait for all of us to be 21 before we joined the APA.

Now we're all 21 and join the APA. We go to this local bar in Bellevue, Nebraska. There's 5 of us and that is just enough members to have a team, but the owner of the bar says that you can have up to 8 and it's good to have extra players just in case someone can't make it. We tell him that we're brand new to the league and don't know anyone else. He tells us he's a 5 in the league and he would be glad to shoot with us. Of course we say yes. He's the bar owner. What we didn't know is that with him, came a lot of advantages. He paid for us to join the APA, he paid our quarters for home and away matches, he gave us all shirts with our team name on it, we drank for free as long as it wasn't beer or alcohol, and he drove us to all away matches. He was awesome!! We couldn't have gotten any luckier! We also found out that he owned a pool hall just across the river and state line in Council Bluffs, Iowa. It was called Esquires. They had about 25 Valley bar boxes. It was a very nice place, although some of the people that came in weren't so nice.

We started playing APA out of there as well, and got the same benefits from this place. As time went on, our skill levels changed. We all started as 3's, but eventually started moving up. So much that we were unable to keep the team together. We tried to keep it together but we couldn't find any lower skilled players. They were and still are very hard to come by! We were together for about 2 years and it was great! I was the first to go. At that time I was a 5 and formed a new team with friends that were new to the APA, but not new to pool. We started shooting out of a bar called Uncle Charlie's in Council Bluffs, IA. Shortly after that I got moved up to a 6 and again the other players also improved and the team had to break up. Now, that was 2 teams that it had happened to, so something had to change.

I decided to instead join a team with established players and found one back in Bellevue, NE. Now shooting out of a bar called Rumour's. We had all been in the league for a while and were pretty much stuck at our current skill levels. We had a strong player at each skill level, and that team eventually went to Vegas. We did well, but I think we were overwhelmed by the experience and didn't play as well as we normally did. Shortly after coming back from Vegas, we lost a couple of players due to getting orders to serve overseas. They were hard to replace and eventually the team parted ways.

Joined another team shooting out of a new pool hall called Fort Crook Billiards also in Bellevue. This became my home. Which was a problem, because you see by this time, I already had a wife and kids. I was playing on APA teams 3 nights a week and 1 BCA team on another. So I wasn't exactly the best husband and father that I should have been. My wife being the wonderful and loving person that she was had always put up with my pool habit, and then one day decided that it was time for a wife intervention. She changed what was called her "Dream Sheet" in the military to read "Open Overseas". Which roughly translates to...we got orders to England within a month!! My APA days were over until we got back from England.

That was 1998 and we were there 8 LONG years! Didn't play at all for 6 of those years, then they started to remodel the community center on base. I went in and talked to the manager and told her that I would be interested in starting an intramural pool league for the military. In trade for letting me start this league, I would make sure that the new equipment would be looked after and the players would even help with the cost of upkeep.

I started a league similar to BCA. Of course were weren't sanctioned by the BCA, but it was the simplest format to follow for any kind of handicap. The entry fees to the league went into a fund to help with the upkeep of the tables and equipment, and the weekly dues all went towards an end of session picnic. There was never any money awarded in our league as that would be against Air Force regulations. Sad to hear that when I left England the league fell apart, but for 2 years it was fun.

We get orders back to the US. Now living in Virginia, I seek out somewhere to play pool. I drive by a place called Break Away Billiards late one night and decide that I would check it out that following weekend. I met my now best friend John that first day I walked in. He came up to me and introduced himself. I got there in the middle of an 8-ball tournament and noticed that there was only a couple of good players. John and I started to talk and eventually started a team in the APA. They were able to find my old stats and so I started back up playing as a 6 again. I'm not sure why such a difference between skill levels here and the ones in Nebraska, but I was walking thru everybody and in no time was a 7. I remember the 7's in Nebraska were super strong. They would break and run a rack almost every time and if they couldn't they would seal you up!! Here, it was rarely that I saw a 7 break and run a rack and I could tell that there was a big gap between their skills, so I was beating all of them. Apart from a couple of 7's in this area, the rest are so watered down that at Nationals even though they're 7's, they would get spanked!!

Ownership of Break Away Billiards changed and it went from good to bad!! It progressively got worse and so in 2009 I quit playing APA. I was a 7 in 8-ball and a 9 in 9-ball. I'll never believe that those numbers mean anything though. Unfortunately in this area it's pretty much the same teams going to Vegas every year. Their skill levels never seem to change. They've been playing together for the 4 years that I've been here and somehow they never improve and still go to Vegas every year. Yet, I've been on 5 different teams playing 1 day a week, and all of those teams have had to split up because our skill levels went up so fast. I'm not saying that there's something shady going on, but...okay yes I am.

I'm not bashing the APA. It has been the source of a lot of good times in my life. When and if ran properly it's a great way to introduce people to the game and possibly then they will eventually improve and outgrow the league.

Stay tuned for my extremely long winded gambling stories. This is what happens when I take the day off of work. I should probably stop doing that!

Jpowell7575

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a long read but one of the best written posts I've read on here. Don't be afraid of posting some more!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My story isn't nearly as grand as yours... :p (Sadly I think it's just as long - sorry!)

My best friend has a few years on me, and has been playing since he was a kid. He joined our local Eagles club several years ago, and began playing pool again frequently, something he hadn't done in a long time. Eventually he joined one of their APA teams, eventually captaining his own. Our Eagles club pays for it's teams annual dues, which is nice.

About three years ago he tried get me interested in playing, and I resisted, citing a lack of free time due to work and family. He would take me into the club (have to be signed in by a club member) and I would play for a while with him. That's being generous. I had never played before, no more than any kid that bangs away with other kids at the YMCA for an hour once every few weeks. But they serve beer and my buddy and I were having fun bs-ing, so it didn't really matter that I couldn't play well. Of course that attitude didn't last long with me...

The more frequently we went (from once a month to every other week or so) I began to get annoyed that I couldn't do better than I was doing. Not because I wanted to beat my buddy, I knew better than that. It just frustrated me to not improve. My buddy sensed this, and realized he was setting the hook! :p

For my birthday 2 years ago, he bought me a cue, a basic 2-piece no-name. I chuckled when he gave it to me, understanding the underlying premise. Fortunately, by this time our Eagles club had gone to non-smoking, so I could stand to be in the pool room much easier. (LOW ceilings and poor ventilation, bad combination.) We started going to play a bit more frequently. That September, he was chatting with me on the phone, lamenting the fact that his league session was about to start and he didn't have enough players for the session, due to a few of them dropping out for one reason or another. I sighed and said, "OK, I'll play. You know I suck , but I'll play." He quickly replied "we need beginners, you're going be fine and you'll be helping us out."

Now that he had me, hook, line and sinker, he starts actively teaching me, as opposed to the basic hints he'd been giving me before. I gobbled it up, and it's been no looking back. I found this site, buy books, watch streams, and have gotten to the point where I'm playing pool 4-6 nights a week now. :) (Our wives are best friends, so they tend to get together to watch their girly TV shows, or whatever, so they quite glad to get us to go away, and they know we aren't gonna get into any trouble at the club. :p )

I've done reasonably well, in my own opinion, going from never having played to an SL5 in just over a year. Picking up a game as complex as this at 46 years old, and expecting to do well is a losing proposition, but I'm tackling it head-on! Of course I've hit one of those infamous plateaus, in combination with playing more skilled opponents, so I tend to get frustrated with my lack of progress. (And I do still have to work 6 days a week, and while my kids are far busier with their own things lately, we do have family time occasionally! :p ) But that's a good thing, it means I'm not satisfied. I'm one of the rare people who actually wants to go up in Skill Level, because that will mean I've improved.

Or area didn't have an active 9-ball APA league, only 8-ball, until this current summer session. (Which is very strange, because our town is the biggest in our half of the state, yet several smaller divisions in surrounding towns have both 8 and 9 ball divisions, both well attended.) Our LO did some things for an incentive to get this one started, so we managed to get 4 teams to play. I'm having a blast with 9-ball! Of course as I'm getting to understand that game better, I struggled. I had to start as an SL5, since that was my 8-ball handicap, and I was again playing more skilled players. So I went down to an SL4, and usually don't pull the better guys currently. I'm starting to better understand the nuances, so my results are better, as well. MUCH more to learn in both games, as well as in refining my stroke. But I'm having a great time.

I know that other areas have issues with how the APA is run, and I don't doubt that there are issues. I'm fortunate that our LO seems to do a pretty good job in comparison. Do I agree with everything he does, nah, probably not. But as a businessman I understand there is a larger picture sometimes, too. I'm glad I have the APA where I live, and I hope that sometime I'll be able to try some of the other leagues and tournaments, too. If we ever get either around here. (Yes, I'd love to play a "pool vacation" to go play in some tournaments, or at least watch. Someday!)

Last edited:

Oregonmeds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good stories.

I'll make mine shorter, or try. My mom and dad owned a bowling center when I was a kid so I was the youngest ever team bowler and playing on their gold crowns before I could see over the table without using a step stool. They both worked at the lanes so that's where I spent most of my childhood.

I didn't play either game after my parents divorce around age 13 until I went into the army. Same deal there's just not much else to do many places other than play pool and or drink like a fish so I got really good at both. I regularly kicked most peoples ass in the army but wasn't that good, not really.

Got married after that and didn't play another 7 years.

Got divorced and started looking for things to do, ways to meet people, finally got serious about pool and joined the APA or BCA league at a bar near me with 8' tables. (I can't recall which I did first bca or apa, have been on both and a few teams since then.) Suprised myself at how I seemed to be a better player than most everyone else even with my lack of play in years, was rated a 7 I think is all, but got a lot of wows with some off the wall shots I could pull off and cuts others thought were impossible.I had a knack for english others thought was insane, and billiards off balls full length of the table and back half the length with crazy backspin and shooting down on the ball in ways others just don't do. Not bragging, I'm still not a great player just good for casual bca and apa stuff at times and with certain shots.

Anyway later changed my focus from playing pool to drinking and smoking pot thanks to progressive alcoholism which the army prepared me very well for, and got kicked off the last team just for being too messed up too often and hitting on girls in less than cool and subtle ways making an ass of myself.

Took another break for several years, worked on sobriety, mostly failing and substituting pot for drinking.

Now I'm finally near the point where I can go to a bar and not drink or get stoned but not be feeling like I still miss it when most others are doing one or the other, so I'll be back at playing pool shortly, should be able to improve my game a lot easier. Even the pool hallls around here, at least the large majority and all close to me, have alcohol as well so I had to stay away again even though it's my favorite game of all time.

On the theme of drinking and getting high, I think the death of pool, pool rooms, etc can largely be blamed on the new stupid tough DUI laws which on the one hand target non drunk drivers and do little good, but on the other hand finally made me see the seriousness of my problem and got me sober.

Maybe it's just me, or my area, but all my life it seems like casual and fun play has always gone hand in hand with at least some amount of drinking and smoking for most people, especially APA and BCA, and I wonder how much pool there will be going forward as over a million and a half even just minor small time drinkers per year get charged with diu's in this country, and fewer and fewer people can even afford to go out at all either because of the threat of dui even below .08 in many places or because of the economy. I wasn't a drunk driver actually, they got me at .08 and I know I was fine with my high tolerance at that time but they didn't care, they were stalking the bar parking lots and looking to pull over anyone that did the slightest thing wrong just to see if they'd get lucky.

There's a real push to ticket anyone who drinks and drives with any amount period lately, or just to ticket everyone for everything possible to prop up our budget shortfalls and keep the police, etc paychecks flowing so I guess I'm saying both watch out guys and hoping pool survives all this. Don't be like me and the other 1.5 million dui's per year, it's not worth it.

Last edited:

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure there's plenty of stories still out there. Maybe people just don't like long threads!

Come on people share those stories. I love a good read!

OUSooner

Known Fish
Silver Member
I was a regular at a local bar and all I could do was make the ball in front of me. But I made most anything I shot at. I beat the team captain from that bar out of a little money and started playing on his team a week later as an SL3. I didn't know english or pretty much anything else other than make the ball in front of me and I played for 5 years that way. Then I played a guy named Mark Dimick in a rated tournament. He was going to 13 and I was going to 4 in 9 ball. He tortured me. I didn't win a game. I asked him if he gave lessons and that was a few years ago and it began my pool addiction. I went from a once a week league banger to a full on pool addict. I've realized my real talent isn't in playing now but in being a stakehorse. :)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kinda hard to tell your pool experience in a short post but i will try to make it short as possible.

when i was 13 we had a table at home til i was 15. got to where i was better than my step dad which aint saying much because he wasnt exactly a world beater.

when i became 16 and got my drivers liscence i became his designated driver. there were some hole in the wall bars i could go in with him and they let me play on one of the back tables. i was kind of a novelty to most of the regulars because i was beating just about every body. mostly i would play guys for a coke or a dollar or 2 and most would laugh about getting beat by a kid.

once in a while there would be a problem when a drunk would get pissed a bout losing a few bucks to me but my step dad or one of the regulars made sure he calmed down real quick.

got married quit playing for 15 years. kids all grown and wife left so i hit the bars again. im playing one night and the guy i beat 4 in a row asks me what league i play on. i told him i dont play league and that i never have. he asked why not. i said i didnt think i was that good. he said hell you are better than any one on my team and asked me to join. i did , it was bca. a year later i was a 7. i quit for personal reasons and didnt play pool at all for 3 years.

met a girl last year who asked me to join her apa team. it was double jeapordy league. the 1st night i play an 8 in 9 ball and since i am new i am a 3. halfway through the match th e opposing teams captain is on the phone to the lo complaining about me. i beat him before he got halfway to his designated points. i am moved up quickly lol.

i wound up hurting my hand and no longer play like i used to but ther are days when it feels ok and i show flashes of my younger days. i currently fluctuate between a 4 or 5. my hand is is constant pain so it has affected my playing ability greatly.

win or lose i still enjoy playing every time i get the chance.

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brozif, I was stantioned at Offutt AFB, NE for four years in the late eighties. I started playing in tech school and it carried over to Warner Robins AFB, GA and RAF Lakenheath, UK. I won the base championship in England one year but never played league. I bought a custom Richard Black 'Almao' cue while there. At RAF Lakenheath we would play straight pool every Friday night. I was then moved to Offutt AFB, NE where I played several times a week over at the rec center.

Once I got out of the military, I meet this girl at a pool tournament and she asked me to play on her APA team. First week I was 4. Second week, I was a 5. Third week a 6, then the following session I was moved to a 7. And I have been a 7 (8 ball), 9 (9 ball) ever since. I normally play in all the leagues now APA, BCA and VNEA.

Played in the U. S. Open back around 2002.

Instructor now for around 15 years.

Nice memories. Thank you for the thread!

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! We crossed the some of the same paths. I was at Offutt from '88 to '98. My wife got orders to RAF Lakenheath and I was working at Mildenhall from '01 to '06. Curious when you were in England. For some reason the last name Dunn sounds very familiar to me. My wife both worked for the LRS squadrons.

I thank everyone for their posts and hope there's more to come!

Last edited:

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK from 1983 - 1987 and the Offutt AFB from 1987 - 1992. At Offutt, I was in the 55 MSSq, and worked as the NCOIC of the Orders Section.

Michael Dunn.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK from 1983 - 1987 and the Offutt AFB from 1987 - 1992. At Offutt, I was in the 55 MSSq, and worked as the NCOIC of the Orders Section.

Michael Dunn.

We were at Offutt at the same time. Do you remember the intramural league at the airman's club/community center? They had four Brunswick's in there.

They remodeled the old community center at Lakenheath and called it 48th Ave. The old one was so bad that everyone went to the community center at Mildenhall.

I was in Mildenhall TDY in 1991. Do you remember "Hog Call"? Did they have it back in your early years there?

BrokeStroke

I need the wild 2.
Silver Member
Here is a long, drawn-out, story for you.

When I was 11, my grandpap decided he wanted to get a pool table for his basement. He didn't play at all, but he went out and got a used one off a guy for $150. It was an 8' return table, wasnt slate, but it had Simonis on it. I'd come home from school and hit a few. Did that for a while, but never serious.

When I was 16-17, my buddies would come over for a hard-drinking weekend. Not too proud of it now, but on garbage day, you'd swear we had a bar downstairs. We'd always end up playing from 5 p.m. on Friday until we had to go back to school on Monday morning. Still, nothing serious.

Then, one day after school let out, we decided to go bowling. The lanes had league that night and the only thing to do was shoot some pool. It was a 1950's or 60's Brunswick table. 9 footer. Terrible cloth and a short wall on one side. This happened a few nights in a row, and soon we were going just for pool. But we graduated that summer and I went to Ft. Lauderdale for a while. Didnt shoot any pool for a year and a half.

Came home in 2001, I was 19 and just got a new job working steady midnight shift. Called up a pool-shooting buddy of mine and he told me about a small room a town over. It only had 5 tables, but it was perfect to learn in. A guy that worked there watched us shoot a little bit and came over and started talking to us and I started asking questions about the game. From what I knew then, an old-timer isnt going to give away any secrets and I shouldve known better than to even think about asking. But this man took a liking to me and started showing me things. I shot with him everyday, 6-8-hours a day. Longer on weekends. He took me to a few tournaments. Thats when I first saw 'TOP' players. Jimmy Marino, Don Steele, John Stepoli, Jerry Slivka, Bill McCollum, and a bunch more. The only thing I could do is try to make sure nobody tripped over my jaw or my ass during those first few tournaments.

Around 2004, I was shooting top of my game. I was a solid B+ but not quite an A player. Then, my friend who I had shot with the entire time ended up dead in 2005. Shortly after, the pool room closed. 2 weeks later, the man who taught me everything I knew about the game lost his wife of 38 years. After all that happened, I just didnt want to shoot. I didnt touch a cue for any reason for 4 1/2 years.

Then I got a phone call in September 2009 from a friend that used to stop in the pool room. He didnt shoot a lot, but he was pretty decent then. He said he was getting back into the game and asked me to join a couple leagues. Him and another friend started an APA team and asked me to join. My first night of practice might as well have been my first night ever shooting. There is nothing worse than the feeling of knowing exactly what to do, but not being able to do it. After a good 4-5 months, I was getting the feelings back, getting what some would call a stroke back, playing my position and speed. I felt great about shooting my first APA match.

I lost 3-0, got moved to a 3.

The next week, I blank a 5, 2-0 in 1 inning and move up to a 5. The next week, I blank another 5 4-0 in a few innings and move up to a 7 and thats where I've been ever since. After being involved in APA, I cant say I like it. But I do like spending time with a few friends a couple nights a week.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you happen to know or remember Roger's last name?

Roger Edgar.

I kept it out because I didn't know if I should put it in a public forum, but he was a great guy and I owe him so much.

I wish I knew where he was today. I should have never lost touch with him, but it's difficult sometimes to stay in touch with other military members because of the moving around that we go thru.

Q-Street

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a coincidence.

Reading your story reminds me of exactly how I started to play too. I was also stationed at bellevue but in 2001-2004 and started to play in the dorms. It was very nice how most airmen have access to pool tables in the common living areas (8ft home tables) as well as the community centers (4 8ft oversize gold crowns). I started playing at the dorms and played in the intramural league too. The league was so fun & even though we weren't that good, the competitiveness made it exciting because there were teams from different squadrons. I played the league w/ my first cue, a $20 blue fiberglass cue w/ bass fish decals on it that I got from Walmart. That thing didn't even last a couple months. No more intramurals though. Heard a few people are trying to start it back up. That would be so fun. The GC's had simonis on it but it was recently replaced by some furry felt. Heard about local leagues often but never joined yet.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading your story reminds me of exactly how I started to play too. I was also stationed at bellevue but in 2001-2004 and started to play in the dorms. It was very nice how most airmen have access to pool tables in the common living areas (8ft home tables) as well as the community centers (4 8ft oversize gold crowns). I started playing at the dorms and played in the intramural league too. The league was so fun & even though we weren't that good, the competitiveness made it exciting because there were teams from different squadrons. I played the league w/ my first cue, a $20 blue fiberglass cue w/ bass fish decals on it that I got from Walmart. That thing didn't even last a couple months. No more intramurals though. Heard a few people are trying to start it back up. That would be so fun. The GC's had simonis on it but it was recently replaced by some furry felt. Heard about local leagues often but never joined yet.

It's a small world. I'm glad to hear that the dorms still have the tables though. Also that the community center still has their 4 tables. I hope they remodeled or did something to it though, because it was getting kind of run down. Heck the last time I played in that community center was in the mid '90's. Can't believe that it was almost 20 years ago. I remember those tables and of course they didn't have Simonis on them at that time. It was around, but too expensive for a small community center. I remember playing on them and it felt like I was playing on a shaggy carpet, but where else could you go and play on oversized 8' Brunswick GC's for free as long as you wanted?

You have to love all the extra's that the Air Force gives you!

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to thank everyone for sharing your stories on this thread. I know it's not easy because most of these stories involve a lot of typing and some people just don't like to do that. But thanks for taking the time out of your life to share your stories with me and all of the great people in this forum.

Thanks for all the friend requests and for the green rep that you have given me. It is greatly appreciated. I will in turn share some green rep back. Give me some time. I have a lot of people to share it with and of course it's telling me that I have given out too much in the past 24hrs and that I must wait. I will get to you and if I don't, send me a PM and I will make sure that I do.

I started a different thread about gambling and that thread took a turn that I didn't not expect, so I've been dealing green rep over there like a drug dealer with new stock!!

I welcome any and all friend requests. I love this forum and there are just too many good people in here! I wish I could meet you all!

Thank you!

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I was playing on a Moose League. Not too many players really knew me as I wasn't a bar player or PH junkie. Someone on one of the other teams that I was playing against asked me after our match about playing on another league.
At the time it was called the Busch League. He said that they needed a player like me. It sounded interesting so I signed up. Was told that I needed to just play good enough to win the match. Didn't understand the concept at first as I was use to playing heads up and each game counted. They wanted me to be a C3 for whatever reason the numbers were preceded by the letters of the Busch league, H2, C3, S4, U5 and B6 then Super Pro 7. I was coached by the coach on when to win lose, miss and etc. Played that one season and then quit. It was no fun and I could see why it was called the Busch League. Other than being sponsored by the beer.

Many years later I got back into the APA. Sad thing is a lot of the Busch league stuff still exists.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing on a Moose League. Not too many players really knew me as I wasn't a bar player or PH junkie. Someone on one of the other teams that I was playing against asked me after our match about playing on another league.
At the time it was called the Busch League. He said that they needed a player like me. It sounded interesting so I signed up. Was told that I needed to just play good enough to win the match. Didn't understand the concept at first as I was use to playing heads up and each game counted. They wanted me to be a C3 for whatever reason the numbers were preceded by the letters of the Busch league, H2, C3, S4, U5 and B6 then Super Pro 7. I was coached by the coach on when to win lose, miss and etc. Played that one season and then quit. It was no fun and I could see why it was called the Busch League. Other than being sponsored by the beer.

Many years later I got back into the APA. Sad thing is a lot of the Busch league stuff still exists.

So each letter from the league's sponsor was used as a skill level?

I remember it being called the Busch league, but do not remember that ranking system. I started playing when I was 21 so that was back in 1991. I'm not sure if it was still the Busch league or if it had already become the Bud Light league. Wasn't it Camel at one point also? Heck, I don't remember. I've always just called it APA.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
So each letter from the league's sponsor was used as a skill level?

I remember it being called the Busch league, but do not remember that ranking system. I started playing when I was 21 so that was back in 1991. I'm not sure if it was still the Busch league or if it had already become the Bud Light league. Wasn't it Camel at one point also? Heck, I don't remember. I've always just called it APA.

At that time there was also the 21 rule. I think it was 1986. The skill levels were still the same 2, 3, 4 ... Etc but for some reason the letters preceded the number so you weren't a 3 you were a C3. You also had to win the amount of games that your skill level was. I don't know when it was changed to the new format of less games but I guess it had to be done to speed things up.

It was the APA but called the Busch League. I guess they got big enough that they don't want any sponsors or it may be that they can't get any.