How do one pocket players feel about the Carbon Fiber Shafts?

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend on mine who plays a lot of one pocket has notice that there aren't that many one pocket players using carbon fiber shafts. Have you noticed this also?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I've noticed it, but One Pocket is a game played by accomplished players most of the time and that may correlate with age. Not many older guys going for carbon shafts.

A friend on mine who plays a lot of one pocket has notice that there aren't that many one pocket players using carbon fiber shafts. Have you noticed this also?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A bunch of us play with carbon fiber shafts. I’m using a 12.4 Revo. Joeya plays with a Revo. Just to name a few. As more shafts and manufacturers enter the market it be become the norm for most that want quality equipment

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, this came up the other day while talking to friend who lives in Vegas and who plays 1p a lot. He said that for him the ball comes off too hot and is much harder to control the real soft, delicate shots that come up. He's not the only person i've heard of saying this just the first to tell me directly. Could be mental thing as well. I know when i tried out the Revo's it seemed to me like the ball came off quite a bit hotter also.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Funny, this came up the other day while talking to friend who lives in Vegas and who plays 1p a lot. He said that for him the ball comes off too hot and is much harder to control the real soft, delicate shots that come up. He's not the only person i've heard of saying this just the first to tell me directly. Could be mental thing as well. I know when i tried out the Revo's it seemed to me like the ball came off quite a bit hotter also.
Maybe a thick, softer tip would help. Eventually you learn to hit the ball softer.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right!

Why spend 500bux on a shaft just to have to change how one plays?

I know three very high level One Pocket players that have gone back to there wood shafts, two of them said the same thing, why fight to adjust for what doesnt seem to be any real gain for One Pocket.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some players also feel that way (comes off too hot) but Bob Jewett feels a softer tip will help with control. I would think its an adjustment period also but I don't play with carbon fiber shafts.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would it be reasonable to say most players have a quality cue/shaft and don’t feel the need to swap.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Maybe a thick, softer tip would help. Eventually you learn to hit the ball softer.

I switched from the victory soft to a precision soft and it took a lot of the power away. So I can attest this helps... at least in my case anyway.

I actually had gotten used to the extra juice and missed it tremendously. I have a lot more control now but honestly I think I rather have the option for extra power since I could control it to begin with. To me it feels like negating one of the shaft’s strengths

The upside is that the tip takes away a lot of the ‘harshness’ that people dislike about carbon shafts

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon Fiber Shafts have certainly changed the game but I don't think they help much playing One Pocket. In One Pocket many of your shots start on the rail where you can only push the cueball. And, when you are on the end rail most of your shots are shot softly thinning off an object ball trying to tuck behind balls by your opponents pocket. When you are playing around the rack you often need extreme english which IMO is easier to achieve with a standard shaft. Lastly when taking balls out of your opponents pocket you want the cueball to ark or squirt such that you can get behind the object ball to take it out of the pocket. Carbon Fiber Shafts IMO makes this difficult to accomplish.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon Fiber Shafts have certainly changed the game but I don't think they help much playing One Pocket. In One Pocket many of your shots start on the rail where you can only push the cueball. And, when you are on the end rail most of your shots are shot softly thinning off an object ball trying to tuck behind balls by your opponents pocket. When you are playing around the rack you often need extreme english which IMO is easier to achieve with a standard shaft. Lastly when taking balls out of your opponents pocket you want the cueball to ark or squirt such that you can get behind the object ball to take it out of the pocket. Carbon Fiber Shafts IMO makes this difficult to accomplish.

Vey well said!

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should post more...good mind.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Meucci has his mechanical device for testing deflection. Whether good or bad, he has been using it for years, so there is at least internal consistency to his method. Does Predator or any other carbon shaft maker have such a device to compare shafts?

The expensive, to me anyway, carbon shafts remind me of sport of target shooting. Beyond competent gear and ammo, it all boils down to skill, experience, and whatever zen there is in the sport.

It is telling that most, maybe all of the major shaft retailers are jumping on the full-carbon shaft product. Assuming the carbon shafts last a lifetime, like modern handguns and rifles, manufacturers may be cutting their own throats when they have to depend on the birth and growth of new players to sustain sales.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is telling that most, maybe all of the major shaft retailers are jumping on the full-carbon shaft product. Assuming the carbon shafts last a lifetime, like modern handguns and rifles, manufacturers may be cutting their own throats when they have to depend on the birth and growth of new players to sustain sales.

If they don't jump on the band wagon, they are going to be left behind.

The new generation of players are going for the high-tech stuff.

I have custom shafts, production shafts and carbon fiber shafts and none of the wood shafts play as consistent as the carbon fiber shafts.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...you often need extreme english which IMO is easier to achieve with a standard shaft.
I'm pretty sure it's the same, but how it feels to you is probably what's important.

...you want the cueball to ark or squirt such that you can get behind the object ball to take it out of the pocket. Carbon Fiber Shafts IMO makes this difficult to accomplish.
If you mean it's harder with less squirt - couldn't you just aim where the squirt would otherwise take you? But that's a change to adjust to and, again, what you're used to is (maybe most) important.

pj
chgo

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they don't jump on the band wagon, they are going to be left behind.

The new generation of players are going for the high-tech stuff.

I have custom shafts, production shafts and carbon fiber shafts and none of the wood shafts play as consistent as the carbon fiber shafts.

I agree 100000000%.

CF cues are just getting started.

Any company that doesn't get on the CF wagon very soon will miss out on the market "rush"....and any business person knows that the "rush" time is the time where the "smarter" companies get in the running.

The companies that lay back and "see" if its gonna take off are the companies that will miss that "rush" from the customers.

After there are CF cues in 50% or more of the players hands ....well....lol...at that point IMO.....only the cream of the crop will "continue" to flourish because the "rush" will be long gone.

At that point, custom cue sales will be changed forever.....its headed that way but the following don't like to admit it:

People that have a collection of cues that they bought to try and make a hefty profit off of.

Now, which custom cue owners will not suffer....the following:

People that have a collection of cues simply because they "want" them....investment was not a part of the equation.

As a matter of fact, the second group....lol.....may end up being the true winner since they will most likely get opportunities that where not possible before.

People (cue "investors") keep saying, "we'll see". If they open their eyes they could see "now".

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Slowing the CB down with a revo for those "touch" shot is VERY, VERY easy to do and there are multiple ways to do it.

Least expensive and best way.....practice...practice and then practice some more.

Another way.....softer tip....

Another way.....add extra pads under your usual tip...works like a charm....

Another way.....add a ferrule like I did. Just had it done yesterday but, so far....I'm REALLY liking it. The FEEL and SOUND are just like wooden shafts but, with the really low deflection revo and other CF cues offer.....

Adding a ferrule to my revo didn't add any deflection that I've noticed.