How do you "cinch" a ball?

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard that used by Earl several times in his pool commentary but I'm not clear on the meaning. Anyone knows?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cinching a shot is nominally shooting it in your comfort zone be it a certain speed, english, or angle. Often a player will sacrifice ideal position in order to cinch a shot ie. not miss it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard that used by Earl several times in his pool commentary but I'm not clear on the meaning. Anyone knows?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Just make the ball and not worry about shape. Have to do this a lot on tight tables where you're far more concerned with just making the ball.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cinching a shot is nominally shooting it in your comfort zone be it a certain speed, english, or angle. Often a player will sacrifice ideal position in order to cinch a shot ie. not miss it.
To add to the above, generally hitting the shot at an easy pace, which increases the size of the pocket and maximizes your chance of making the shot, even if that pace will sacrifice the cue ball having a chance to get to where you need it to for your next shot.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
To add to the above, generally hitting the shot at an easy pace, which increases the size of the pocket and maximizes your chance of making the shot, even if that pace will sacrifice the cue ball having a chance to get to where you need it to for your next shot.
Speaking of making the pocket bigger by using pocket speed why is it that it seems so many league players like to fire the 8 ball in 3 times as hard as they hit any other ball??

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of making the pocket bigger by using pocket speed why is it that it seems so many league players like to fire the 8 ball in 3 times as hard as they hit any other ball??
If they never miss, it’s a form of showing off and rubbing it in on your opponent. However if they miss, it’s moronic. Sometimes, the pressure element causes the cue to go off in their hand and they hit it way harder than intended. There are some pretty good players that on a key pressure shot on the last ball, seem to feel more confident letting their stroke out as opposed to cinching it, even if it does decrease their margin of error.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... There are some pretty good players that on a key pressure shot on the last ball, seem to feel more confident letting their stroke out as opposed to cinching it, even if it does decrease their margin of error.
I think many top players tend to shoot the game ball firmly. Afraid of roll-offs or other funny stuff? Expression of domination? AtLarge needs to add another column to his statistics spreadsheet. :giggle:

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you cinch a ball, you must be pretty sure you, at a minimum, will fall where you can see your next ball.

This does not go without saying

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think many top players tend to shoot the game ball firmly. Afraid of roll-offs or other funny stuff? Expression of domination? AtLarge needs to add another column to his statistics spreadsheet. :giggle:
Many top players who situationally shoot their game balls firmly, habitually do that to ensure the CB has enough speed -- post-shot -- to travel a good distance away, into a contingent safety position in the event they *do* miss the shot. Their opponent is then faced with a maximally difficult attempt at the missed ball. A well-designed built-in safety on game balls (and mid-match difficult shots) is not a bad habit in high-stakes matches whether it's tournament play or "wagering" ones.

Arnaldo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree.

I prefer to hit the game ball a bit firm to ensure I have “control” of the cue ball. I have more confidence in my stroke than I do the table or table conditions.