How Do You Express Your Displeasure With Your Ineptitude?

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I swear - at myself, not the balls, the table, or the competition. When I'm playing well I don't swear. So I swear whenever I'm at the table, except before the first shot.:D

Here we have Earl breaking his cue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXb7-xSLfo

Early in the commentary on this frame, we learn that, a few years ago, Michael Holt became so upset that he punched the table, breaking his hand and putting himself out of competition for an extended period.

2006 Grand Prix – Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Michael Holt
Frame 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cSzHO81P__E

By comparison, O'Sullivan retiring from a match seems a remarkably controlled response.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9YdhIp2Io6c
 
Last edited:
I put my head down and call myself an idiot. This unfortunately happens all to often... One of the guys on my team loves to punch down on the table after a loss. You think he would learn that it hurts..
 
The answer for me is not at all. I accept failure readily, quietly, and with dignity, just as long as I feel I'm giving my best effort. If I'm not giving my best effort, a rarity, then I try to give myself a silent pep talk to get myself rededicated to the task at hand.

My highest priority, though, is to conduct myself in a way that does not affect my opponent's concentration. If I fail to live up to that standard, I offer a sincere apology to my opponent.
 
Trying not to express displeasure

When playing alone I look over my mistake and try not to reflect on the past. This keeps me out of slumps while practicing

When playing with others / in public I am trying to do the same and when I am successful I play better overall.

One thing I am working on is maintaining consistent body langauge.
 
I scowl for about half a second and shake my head a couple times. Then I quietly walk back to my chair and sit stone faced. I never say anything audible and try to make any facial expressions while my back is turned to my opponent. I never look my opponent in the eye after a miss, I just sit in my chair and try to think about what I did wrong. Letting your opponent know your confidence is shaken gives them strength.
 
Last edited:
Scaramouche said:
Personally, I swear - at myself, not the balls, the table, or the competition.

That's about it for me, too. I swear at myself when I make a mistake, but try not to dwell on it. A line from the Hustler says, "Excuses are a loser's best friend."
 
sjm said:
The answer for me is not at all. I accept failure readily, quietly, and with dignity, just as long as I feel I'm giving my best effort. If I'm not giving my best effort, a rarity, then I try to give myself a silent pep talk to get myself rededicated to the task at hand.

My highest priority, though, is to conduct myself in a way that does not affect my opponent's concentration. If I fail to live up to that standard, I offer a sincere apology to my opponent.

Good answer. I hate playing with people who have the "Earl" mentality.

I've often wondered why some people don't put as much time into the game instead of the rude childish behavior.
 
I make an effort to internalize as much as I can, but it doesn't always work.:D

One of my favorite quotes comes from tennis player Marat Safin "I can not possibly keep everything in!".
 
Last edited:
I generally firmly tap the chalk on the side of the table one time, then shrug my shoulders and quietly go sit down to try to put in behind me and mentally prepare for the next shot.
 
Generally I swear and berate myself. Occassionally in a moment of great frustration I'll blame the equipment (which is sometimes true) or somebody inconsiderate (which is often true), or in a moment of supreme frustration I'll lash out (verbally) at the person I consider being inconsiderate.
I prefer quietly berate myself, but now and again I all the pent of frustration has to find a verbal (loud) expression. Someday I think I'll grow up.
 
I accept that I made a bad choice, go sit down tell myself to focus and make better choices. Then play that shot in my head a couple of times seeing myself make it or doing the right thing instead of what I did. This helps me see something positive quickly and helps me remember to just focus instead of allowing emotion to control things.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sjm
I usually asess what I did wrong and why. Was I rushing? Did my fundamentals waiver? Was I just not concentrating enough?
Once I know what happened, I make a mental note NOT to do it again.
Losing one's temper at the table happens, but I remind myself that there will be many more shots, and many more games, and DO NOT let one little mistake ruin the game for me. I see it happen to so many people. One minute they are playing very well, the next thing you know, they miss a simple one and there goes their game for the day.
 
I'm As Agile As A 337 lb. Snowflake

Scaramouche axed:
How Do You Express Your Displeasure With Your Ineptitude?



I thought about killing myself, but I couldn't afford the expense over & over & over. I decided to just EAT. I was 145 lbs. when I began using this tactic. I stopped playing pool two years ago at 337 lbs.
Doug
( see, it worked )
 
Scaramouche said:
Personally, I swear - at myself, not the balls, the table, or the competition. When I'm playing well I don't swear. So I swear whenever I'm at the table, except before the first shot.:D
I make an entirely too over-the-top production out of it. I can't help it. That's my personality. I'm not exactly thrilled with my behavior.

Fred
 
Last edited:
Well, my forehead is flat for a reason.

Too many open palm slaps to it. :D :D

If you're ever in a pool hall and hear a big "SLAP" and someone yelling, "Geeesh, you idiot"........that would be me. :D :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: sde
Jeff said:
Well, my forehead is flat for a reason.

Too many open palm slaps to it. :D :D

If you're ever in a pool hall and hear a big "SLAP" and someone yelling, "Geeesh, you idiot"........that would be me. :D :D

You don't yell "D'oh"? :)
 

Attachments

  • doh.jpg
    doh.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 220
I can sum my own behavior up with what others have already said.

How I'd like to (and how I strive to) handle my own poor performances:
sjm said:
The answer for me is not at all. I accept failure readily, quietly, and with dignity, just as long as I feel I'm giving my best effort. If I'm not giving my best effort, a rarity, then I try to give myself a silent pep talk to get myself rededicated to the task at hand.

My highest priority, though, is to conduct myself in a way that does not affect my opponent's concentration. If I fail to live up to that standard, I offer a sincere apology to my opponent.

How I actually end up handling my own poor performances:
Cornerman said:
I make an entirely too over-the-top production out of it. I can't help it. That's my peronality. I'm not exactly thrilled with my behavior.

Fred

I make an ass of myself far too often when I'm making a lot of mistakes. I don't make a lot of excuses or lash out at anyone, I just become a big whining baby, crying and sulking about how badly I'm playing.

-Andrew
 
Back
Top