How do you play this?

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Last edited:

elint

Registered
If the billiard goes, it's close. The 4 definitely doesn't pass. I got out of line on the 3 and played the CB behind the cluster. But I was confuzzled. :D

Edit: The safety on the 4 wasn't on either (banking it behind the 9).

I'm an amateur, so take my opinion with a grain of salt (mostly posting so I can see some better opinions). I'd try to carom off the 3 to break out the 4, and if that failed, pick up the cue and give the incoming player BIH on the 4.

My first thought was to slow-bank the 4 around the 9 for a safety, but if it doesn't pass the 9, then I don't see how the incoming player would be able to do much with BIH on the 4.

(feel free to correct my ignorance -- I'm here to learn, so I'll take any criticism well) :)

--Cody

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
I'm an amateur, so take my opinion with a grain of salt (mostly posting so I can see some better opinions). I'd try to carom off the 3 to break out the 4, and if that failed, pick up the cue and give the incoming player BIH on the 4.

My first thought was to slow-bank the 4 around the 9 for a safety, but if it doesn't pass the 9, then I don't see how the incoming player would be able to do much with BIH on the 4.

(feel free to correct my ignorance -- I'm here to learn, so I'll take any criticism well) :)

--Cody
Yep. I was actually trying to get the downward angle on the 3 so I would have the option to go into them or to play behind the 9.

But I got awkward on the 3, and only had the safety option left. But I wouldn't willingly give BIH ever. I'd play the billiard before I did that, whether it goes or not. Or at least tie a ball up...SOMETHING! :grin:

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The billiard looks pretty good if you're around the foot spot, but since things don't always look the same on these diagrams as they did on the table, let's assume it's not on.

I would definitely try to go into the 4 right away off the 1. Since you have BIH, you should be able to get just the right angle to come down the side rail with some draw and break them up. Since the 2 is right in the middle of the table in front of the side pocket, you'll have shape after hitting the 4.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the time, I'd probably just shoot the 1 and stun the cue ball down for the breakout. But that doesn't have to leave you with a good shot on the 2. If I was going all out to win, I think I'd play safe to break out the 4 and 9 and pull the CB back behind the 8 (even against an A+ player). Should leave him pretty tough, especially since the 1-9 combo is likely to be on line and the 5 helps block.

Cory

CueTable Help

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The billiard looks pretty good if you're around the foot spot, but since things don't always look the same on these diagrams as they did on the table, let's assume it's not on.

I would definitely try to go into the 4 right away off the 1. Since you have BIH, you should be able to get just the right angle to come down the side rail with some draw and break them up. Since the 2 is right in the middle of the table in front of the side pocket, you'll have shape after hitting the 4.

Thats my first choice also. Second choice would be to play safe off the 1. Bank it off the top side rail and put the CB in frozen on the 8. Try to put the 1 in a better position to break up the 9/4.

Karate

Do you expect me to post?
Silver Member
Good attitude Cody...

pick up the cue and give the incoming player BIH on the 4.

--Cody

Cody,

Never ever pick up the cue ball and give it to your opponent.
Learn good safes and/or how to tie up other balls, but getting into a
safety battle with someone and letting them go first isn't the correct move.

As far as this thread goes...run to the carom and take it.

Karate-

donny mills

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the time, I'd probably just shoot the 1 and stun the cue ball down for the breakout. But that doesn't have to leave you with a good shot on the 2. If I was going all out to win, I think I'd play safe to break out the 4 and 9 and pull the CB back behind the 8 (even against an A+ player). Should leave him pretty tough, especially since the 1-9 combo is likely to be on line and the 5 helps block.

Cory

CueTable Help

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's a tough one. you could shoot the one off the rail and into the 4/9 or just into the 4/9 and try to get him with the 5

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member

Cory

CueTable Help

this is my first thought also. try and shoot the 1 into the rail then into the 4 or directly into the 4 and if possible, get the cue ball to roll up behind the 5.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I'd try to run up to the 4, and play a safe off of that(unless I get a good angle for a break shot off the 2 or 3). Other safeties look too risky. Not a great rack to have, all you can do is try to get a good angle on the 4, for a decent safe.

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cory

CueTable Help

I like this shot a lot. Nothing bad can happen, opens up the table, gives you a remote chance at an early win. All you have to do is draw the rock a few inches and even if you fail to do that, you'll have 9 feet between the cueball and the 1ball.

Here's probably the best shot if the balls were lying correctly. Play BIH safety on the 1, stick the cue behind the 8, and leave the 1 at around the foot spot. If your opponent fouls, you have a free shot at the 1-9 combo. Even if your opponent hits the 1, he might break up the 4-9 and leave you a shot at the 1 and the run out, giving the angle that he'll be kicking at.

I think the second best option is to go into the 4-9 from the 1 ball with BIH. The angle looks pretty good for that, and it looks there would be a fairly good chance for a decent leave on the 2.

I think this gives you the best chance to win from where you were at.

BIH Safety 1.JPG

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's probably the best shot if the balls were lying correctly. Play BIH safety on the 1, stick the cue behind the 8, and leave the 1 at around the foot spot. If your opponent fouls, you have a free shot at the 1-9 combo. Even if your opponent hits the 1, he might break up the 4-9 and leave you a shot at the 1 and the run out, giving the angle that he'll be kicking at.

I think the second best option is to go into the 4-9 from the 1 ball with BIH. The angle looks pretty good for that, and it looks there would be a fairly good chance for a decent leave on the 2.

I think this gives you the best chance to win from where you were at.

View attachment 89895

Although I like your thinking, I can't agree with your first option with Cory In DC's diagram just floating out there. If the carom might not go, the combination probably won't go. Besides, if you don't get that 1ball to land perfect, you're sorta stuck in the same place you were in before. That's not bad but not better than Cory's play.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member

Cory

Cory (and Jude),

I respectfully disagree that you don't figure to get a good shot on the 2 if you just play the straightforward break-out off the 1 ball. If you hit the 4 anything like full, you've got a shot on the two. With the entire upper right quadrant of the table open, any cut shot on the 2 in the side, even a very thin one, affords a reliable route to get on the 3, and an easy out for a decent player. And the side is the biggest pocket for the 2, but it goes in at least 2 others in case something unexpected happens. I think playing off the 1 to break the cluster and going for the runout is the percentage play here unless you're really not playing with confidence at this particular moment in time.

-Andrew

Although I like your thinking, I can't agree with your first option with Cory In DC's diagram just floating out there. If the carom might not go, the combination probably won't go. Besides, if you don't get that 1ball to land perfect, you're sorta stuck in the same place you were in before. That's not bad but not better than Cory's play.

You may very well be right about my shot. If the 9 doesn't have a pretty good chance to go on the 1-9 combo, then it's no good. It also is pretty difficult to leave the 1 in an ideal position where you could shoot the combo and keep your opponent from making a good 1 rail kick hit on the 1 ball.

If my 1st option is no good, I still think my 2nd option of pocketing the 1 and going right into the 4-9 better than Cory's shot, although his shot selection is fairly good I think. Going into the 4-9 off the 1 I think is certainly better than going into it off of the 3. It looks like you have a pretty good angle to break open the 4-9 after pocketing the 1 and get a reasonably good shot on the 2 and the run out.

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cory (and Jude),

I respectfully disagree that you don't figure to get a good shot on the 2 if you just play the straightforward break-out off the 1 ball. If you hit the 4 anything like full, you've got a shot on the two. With the entire upper right quadrant of the table open, any cut shot on the 2 in the side, even a very thin one, affords a reliable route to get on the 3, and an easy out for a decent player. And the side is the biggest pocket for the 2, but it goes in at least 2 others in case something unexpected happens. I think playing off the 1 to break the cluster and going for the runout is the percentage play here unless you're really not playing with confidence at this particular moment in time.

-Andrew

I think you're being a bit optimistic. You MIGHT be able to get the break-out and a shot on the 2 on your first try. Out of 10 tries, you may get it 8 times (I'm assuming you'll improve along the way). The safety, you can nail that on the first try AND you could nail it 10 of 10.

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
well whats the race too? and are u leading? and so on ,if im leading id play position for 2 and use my 3 as a break out or coss side bank the 4 while giving u a chance to make the 9 providing u get a clear shot

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
well whats the race too? and are u leading? and so on ,if im leading id play position for 2 and use my 3 as a break out or coss side bank the 4 while giving u a chance to make the 9 providing u get a clear shot
I'm pretty sure the cross side bank wasn't available. Sorry if that doesn't show in the diagram.

Cory's option seems to be best. I don't remember if the 8 was out far enough from the rail for that safety though, and breaking them up right away off the 1 seemed like it wasn't even an option when I was at the table.

But what do I know? I was extremely nervous and sort of went into brain lack this particular rack. I'm unsure about the exact position of the 8 and 6 (although I'm sure they were in that general area). And the 5 and 7 I'm kind of guessing.

I don't even remember if I won that rack, but I remember playing a good safety behind the cluster off the 3 ball.

Thanks for the responses. :)

Edit: I don't think Cory's safety was available, actually. Now I remember considering it but the 8 was too close to the rail to hide behind. Sorry for the boo boo.

Last edited:

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
well wen i have a tough out i remember it so i can practice it but wen i have an easy run out i tend to forget how i did it