How does a "spot" work ? thanks :)

Ishooteem69

I GOT THE GOLD !
I see and hear talk of spotting a player to make the game more competitive but don't understand some of the terminology. For instance when somebody says they will give you the 6 & the 7,,,, what does that mean?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
A spot is simply a way of giving the less skilled player a handicap in order to make the game more"equal" and facilitate a wager, similar to giving strokes in golf.

In 9 Ball, the player getting the 6 and 7 can win the game by making either the 6, 7, or 9 balls, while the player giving the spot must still make the 9 ball to win.

Essentially a spot is a handicap.

Last edited:

jamesjr1963

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see and hear talk of spotting a player to make the game more competitive but don't understand some of the terminology. For instance when somebody says they will give you the 6 & the 7,,,, what does that mean?

Usually works well for the player giving the spot but seldom from the player receiving it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As mentioned above, if the weaker player makes the named balls he wins the game and a new game begins. Against a very good player such extra "money balls" are not as large a spot as they seem to most people. There are lots of details, such as what happens if either player happens to make a spotted ball on the break, and those details are rarely all decided before the match starts.

I think a better kind of spot is "games on the wire" which means, for example, that you have to win 3 games before the good player wins 10 and you play by the standard rules of nine ball.