How expensive is your daily player

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
zeeder said:
I prefer to have the bulk of the money of the cue wrapped up in the joint protectors. That way they are nice and secure in the pocket of my case while I am playing!!

then you would need to buy Joint Protector Protectors!!

lol..

All the cues in my signature are my playing cues :) some i play with more then others... but currently i have been playing alot of the mottey in the bottom.. the espiritu's all never hit a ball..

chris

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
cuetime said:
The type of cue you use is probably one of the least significant factors in your game. The tip (quality and shape) has more impact on your game. Just look at the pros. They play with any cue they can get the best endorsement from. Every piece of wood is different (like fingerprints). I've had two (seemingly) identical Schons that several customers have told me hit completely different. I have hit with a "Southwest Cue" and hated it. After putting a Moori tip on it, I loved it. I have a player that shoots with a $100.00 sneaky Pete that would not sell it for $1000.00.
This is one of the main reasons that you should not buy cues off of the internet. If you're a discriminating player, you need to play with the cue before buying it.
I tell my customers that the most important factors are that you (1) have to like the hit. (2) Have to like the feel and (3) you have to like the looks. Anything else is window dressing. You can buy a $2000.00 cue that looks good and feels horrible or a $50.00 cue that looks horrible and hits great.
The amount of detail in a cue (along with brand name) determines it's value. More points and inlays increase cost, they do not improve playability.
Is there a big diference between a $20.00 Wal-mart cue and a $600.00 Schon? ABSOLUTELY! Is the a difference between a $300.00 Joss and a $600.00 Schon? In my opinion, the major difference is the name.
Bottom line - Determine your price range, select the cues that appeal to you the most, hit with all of them and then buy the one that feels and hits the best.
Hope this has been helpful

Possibly the best post of this thread...buy the cue that feels good to you.
Go for the "name" and the inlays if they are important to you, but how it feels to you should be priority number one.

despotic931

Mr. Felson's my dad...
Silver Member
My current daily player is my Predator SP, 300 Bones. And, here is my ego boost, it's the most expensive cue I've ever owned to date. But, I'm shortly purchasing a Jacoby ;) :D

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Daily Player is.....

a Balabushka.
Prior to the Balabushka cue I played (daily) with a Barry Szamboti cue and prior to that I played (daily) with a Gus Szamboti cue.

I will never forget Gus Szamboti's response to a question I asked him in 1986 - "Gus, can I break with it?" Gus replied "Of coarse!" And for almost 20 years I broke with his cue.

Words can never express how great a Balabushka or Szamboti can feel in one's hand and hit the balls.

Many times I have been offered over $15K for each of these cues, however I firmly believe I could never find a cue that plays so well.

Best Regards,
Hal in Ohio

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
despotic931 said:
My current daily player is my Predator SP, 300 Bones. And, here is my ego boost, it's the most expensive cue I've ever owned to date. But, I'm shortly purchasing a Jacoby ;) :D

You won't be sorry. I love my Jacoby. But I'd suggest keeping that Predator..."until you're sure".

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
PoolCueSickness said:
I’ve been looking at all the really expensive cues some of you guys own,
And I am just wondering how many people really play with them.Do most
you guys Just collect them and play with a less expensive cue?
And also if you do play with a really expensive cue every day, what do
You think it is worth and what is it ????

Thanks
The cue I play with only cost $175 with two shafts. I think it works as well as a Predator as far as squirt goes. The ferrule came off, but I found that you can just glue a tip to the end of the shaft if you use a pad and you are careful chalking. It seems to hit the ball more solidly that way. ( I have some other shafts with ferrules, but I don't use them.)

I like my cue like an old shoe. It fits. I wouldn't take $30,000 for it. I break with it, too, now that I don't have to worry about the ferrule.

dooziexx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My daily player is a $2900 Mike Bender. Been using it for the last 3 years, one of the best hitting cues I've ever owned.
bender09a.jpg

bender09b.jpg

qfancier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid about $2k for it a couple of years ago and have been offered close to $3k for it. It ain't fancy, but it is special and a player.

Jersey

Clickin' & Clackin'
Silver Member
$Daily Player$

Not overly expensive, but my daily player is a Schon LTD $1100...break with a Stinger...looks like Shawn's got everybody beat! :eek:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Playing cue: Predator 5K8 with Z-shaft (Have a Prather from 1997 too, with both Z-shaft and original shaft)
Break cue: Predator BK-1
Jumpcue: A nice Asian-cue I got for 25 $ and it works as hell!!!!

Ken Barlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years back I owned a $2,500 Schuler Custom that was my daily playing cue, that is until I had a few too many to drink, played like a fool against someone who I would normally have wiped the floor with, lost after missing a straight 8 (Playing 8 Ball at the time) and ended up $100 out of pocket...oh, and the cue somehow fell to the floor with great force (it may have been assisted by my hand, arm and shoulder) and splintered into a thousand pieces......oooppps! (Shaft came out of it un-damaged by the way). Now, I stick with the $400 sticks, have learnt my lesson and have not repeated my mistake since.

Current Playing Cue: Viking, Schuler Custom
Break Cue: A $20 Taiwanese thing that breaks really well
Jump Cue: Robin Dodson's the Frog (Had a long time now and love it).

Kyros

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a Bob Dz sneaky pete that cost me $250! It's a great cue and I don't really worry about banging it around at that price, which I have. The butt has a few dings in it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have to update this thread from my first answere in april, i have been using a B.Szam at the pool room by my house its worth a bit over 10K,

for travelling I use a Sugartree,

I have one bushka that probably plays the best and I take it to the pool room once in a while earily in the morning when there are zero people there.

the B.Szam gets the most play,

I still play with all my cues no matter the price etc, its good for them. And t dosent affect my game much-not being accustomed to a cue, Bugs did it so can I-well almost ;).

Last edited:

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
McDermott

PoolCueSickness said:
I’ve been looking at all the really expensive cues some of you guys own,
And I am just wondering how many people really play with them.Do most
you guys Just collect them and play with a less expensive cue?
And also if you do play with a really expensive cue every day, what do
You think it is worth and what is it ????

Thanks
http://mcdermottcue.com/M29A_a.aspThe Knight with a I-2 Shaft and custom lizard wrap about $1,800 total:)

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$350 Pred Sneaky Pete. I just like the way they play.

I have an extremely fancy custom due in Nov - but it will be for my visual enjoyment. It may not hit a ball.

Best custom I've ever hit a ball with though is a BENDER. I've hit with three Benders, and liked them all right off the bat. Those cues are a little pricey - but I would say worth every penny.

Oddball

It's your break.
Silver Member
My cue is in the $200-$250 range. Nothing expensive, but I like the way it looks and the way feels when I shoot. I don't think I'd be able to buy a cue stick and just not use it.