Hi,
I have a question for anyone who has a solid answer for it...
How far can you turn down a 314-2 shaft?
Now, I have another member who just purchased one and asked it I could do the turn down for him. Normally this isnt a problem at all and not take very much time to do (I charge $25 for the service, plus the return shipping). The problem I am having is that he has his heart set on getting it down to 11.90-12mm., which Im not at all comfortable doing, but I said that I would ask you all to see what everybody informed thinks about it...
Also, I am well aware, and have informed him as well, that:
- the Predator warranty is voided below 12.25mm
- Seyberts will only go to 12.30mm
- The 314-2 is hollow for the front 5"
- KJ is probably the leading authority on this, and has posted many times on similar questions
- The structural integrity of the shaft will be compromised greatly at some point
- Shaft longevity will be reduced
- Deflection properties will be changed (and most likely not for the better)
But I guess my main question is if someone is dead set on getting it done, how far has anyone gone on a 314-2? Does anyone have a 314-2 with a diameter 12 or lower, or ever even seen one?
My personal player is about 12.2 at the tip, at 12.3 at the base of the ferrule (measured on the wood)..
Thanks for any help,
Rain-Man
I have a question for anyone who has a solid answer for it...
How far can you turn down a 314-2 shaft?
Now, I have another member who just purchased one and asked it I could do the turn down for him. Normally this isnt a problem at all and not take very much time to do (I charge $25 for the service, plus the return shipping). The problem I am having is that he has his heart set on getting it down to 11.90-12mm., which Im not at all comfortable doing, but I said that I would ask you all to see what everybody informed thinks about it...
Also, I am well aware, and have informed him as well, that:
- the Predator warranty is voided below 12.25mm
- Seyberts will only go to 12.30mm
- The 314-2 is hollow for the front 5"
- KJ is probably the leading authority on this, and has posted many times on similar questions
- The structural integrity of the shaft will be compromised greatly at some point
- Shaft longevity will be reduced
- Deflection properties will be changed (and most likely not for the better)
But I guess my main question is if someone is dead set on getting it done, how far has anyone gone on a 314-2? Does anyone have a 314-2 with a diameter 12 or lower, or ever even seen one?
My personal player is about 12.2 at the tip, at 12.3 at the base of the ferrule (measured on the wood)..
Thanks for any help,
Rain-Man