How fast do you break?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Evgeny Stalev's relaxed (but POWERFUL!) break

This thread has been a lot of fun and very interesting as there are many suggestions that can be used by anyone to improve their break speed and break quality.

No one has really weighed in on the cut break. I'm kind of curious how much speed is reduced for the cut break.

As for me, DocHutch has been MIA for the last couple of days (so the Iphone app is not available) but I have been breaking a little differently the last couple of days trying out different techniques.

I'm not sure if I have the eccentric contraction thing worked out but I'm trying that, moving stroking hand forward, rising up on my final break stroke, trying to move forward on my final break stroke. People now cower when I come to the table as my cue ball takes on the properties of a North Korean rocket launch.

I'll work on control a bit more and see if that helps. In the meantime, I there is a certain kind of perverted satisfaction that I finally have some people scared of my 9 ball game.

Joey:

Just curious, but have you tried Evgeny Stalev's breaking technique, which uses the pectoral (chest) muscle?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PkCG3q2PDa4#t=9m20s

You'll notice his "wind up" is just like a clock spring, and then the eccentric contraction comes from the pectoral muscle as he launches the arm forward -- with only a slight drift of his body forward. (That is to say, unlike other power breakers that look like a machine flying apart, Evgeny doesn't look like a "strained machine about to explode into a million pieces" -- with bystanders getting cotter pins and bits of metal in their eyes. Rather, he's very relaxed and very smooth. But the sheer sound of what happens lets you know just how HARD he hit the rack.)

Thoughts?
-Sean

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the reason people have not mentioned the cut break is, because I think when most people think of the cut break they are thinking more of a good hit on the one, then speed. Of course, the thread's original title was asking about break speed.

I am sure speed has a lot to do with making the one ball reliably. I think people should be versed on the cut break for when they cannot pound the corner ball in, however, the biggest problem with the cut break is that you are trying to make the only ball (which is not the 9) that is always racked in the same spot. Accordingly, using the cut break, it is hard to play position on the lowest ball after the break, since the whole point of the break is to make that ball.

Part of what makes SVB's break so devastating is not just that the balls explode, but he is great a getting position on the ONE. He plays position for it when the conditions allow. This is why I think the cut break is not as good a break as one where you can consistently make another ball.

kollegedave

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey:

Just curious, but have you tried Evgeny Stalev's breaking technique, which uses the pectoral (chest) muscle?

You'll notice his "wind up" is just like a clock spring, and then the eccentric contraction comes from the pectoral muscle as he launches the arm forward -- with only a slight drift of his body forward. (That is to say, unlike other power breakers that look like a machine flying apart, Evgeny doesn't look like a "strained machine about to explode into a million pieces" -- with bystanders getting cotter pins and bits of metal in their eyes. Rather, he's very relaxed and very smooth. But the sheer sound of what happens lets you know just how HARD he hit the rack.)

Thoughts?
-Sean

That is a good catch. Thank you for that clip!!!! I am going to try and remember to experiment with that.

kollegedave

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey:

Thoughts?
-Sean

I agree Stalev has one of the hardest breaks but I think his break lacks a little of controll. Actually I think he doesn't think about cueball controll all lol.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Joey:

Thoughts?
-Sean

I did notice that when Evgeny pulls the cue back on the final backstroke, he turns his forearm, parallel to the floor, kind of like when some people jump a ball. This might achieve that eccentric contraction that Colin talked about in his video. I'm going to try this and see how it works for me. I'll call the local State Farm agent to see if he can sell some insurance policies to those who are silly enough to stand at the foot of the table when I give this a try. :D

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Post about the Break Shot & it's difficulty. Lots of good sound ideas, especially about accuracy of hot & speed & some cue ball control.

Didn't see anything about practicing this shot to develop those areas...

JoeyA

Silver Member
Good Post about the Break Shot & it's difficulty. Lots of good sound ideas, especially about accuracy of hot & speed & some cue ball control.

Didn't see anything about practicing this shot to develop those areas...

Are you suggesting that the BreakRak MAY help increase your breaking speed? ;)

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm suggesting that practice will develop your rhythm & coordination, which will build your speed & give you more control on the lead ball hit. Bad practice or no practice will give you nothing but disappointment.

I didn't mention the BreakRAK.

There was no mention of practice in the thread. There were several good ideas for having a better break, but practice wasn't mentioned.

firemankc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you suggesting that the BreakRak MAY help increase your breaking speed? ;)

Joey, If you really want to increase your breaking speed TURN BACK THE CLOCK. You may still look younger but father time is upon us.

P.S. The Break Rak will be in my house soon. Hope they are in Tunica, Ms. Will buy one there.

hillbilly

Pro Player
Understanding the Break Mechanics

This is what I mainly teach in my video is the understanding of all the body mechanics and HOW TO DEVELOP TIMING.... I do have a great understanding of how and when to break hard, but if you don't understand how to generate that timing consistently then what good is breaking hard... :thumbup: Smack 'Em Hard -Breaking the Hillbilly Way

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Breaking

20 years ago in Vegas, I broke 26, 28, and 31 something, but was inconsistent. Time takes its toll on you, and I redid my break a few years ago. Today, I am more about precision and hitting the head ball solid.

I break from the side rail for both 8 (2nd ball break) and 9 ball. When I switch to an 'in the box' break, my speed goes up a few mph, but not too much, maybe 22-24 tops. If I make more than 1 ball, great, but all I want is to make 1 ball and have a decent shot after the break. Like I said, I concentrate a lot more on being consistent on the break.

BTW, I got my pool nickname 'Snapshot' because of the way I broke the balls at that time, with more of an pendulum swing on the final stroke. I am 5'7", and found I could generate more power with that type of swing.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just bought it Break Speed Pro

My first try hit 232 mph........
I said this software is apiece of junk.
Tried it 5 more times and it said 14.98 mph.
This I can believe. :eek:

I broke a rib 3 weeks ago in the pool room.
I am taking it easy on the break but that seems right to me.

My break has always been bad or should I say slow.

Going to order Breakrak to try and improve my break?

18 mph here I come, yeah lol.........:rolleyes:

RobDeBank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top out at 27 but consistently break 22-23. When my stroke is working I can plant the cue ball probably 30% of the time.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Turn back the clock......I'm trying....

On Wednesday night and Thursday day, I tried to break using some of what Evgeny does, trying to turn my forearm parallel to the floor just before giving it a go and it sounded pitiful but I did make a couple of balls when breaking an eight ball rack but at least 50% of the time, the cue ball looked like a drunken honey bee.

Casey, let us know if the BreakRak turns your break speed up a notch. Hopefully, you have a Iphone or an Android with the App for clocking your speed. If not, part with some of those government funds and buy one to go with the BreakRak.

Myrtle_04

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read some of the comments in this thread. Shane is considered to have one of the best 10 ball breaks and I thought his break was around 19-20mph.

The azer asking about the rising up from the down position. I think it's a motion. In every sport you start out with knees bent and use body mechanics and timing to generate power. Boxers use their legs to generate power in their punches.

You may not see it, but there is a whip-like motion when you rise up to the ball. power starts in the legs, transfers to the hips, torso moves up and forward, and the arm swings. All the motions in a timed flow generate more speed and power.

Obviously it's not easy to get all of these movements timed correctly so many people do use it. It's not just rising up...it's also a forward motion.

sorry if i repeated someone else's point here

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can get it to 25/26 or so with control, after that there is a good chance whitey ends up on the floor

JoeyA

Silver Member
20 years ago in Vegas, I broke 26, 28, and 31 something, but was inconsistent. Time takes its toll on you, and I redid my break a few years ago. Today, I am more about precision and hitting the head ball solid.

I break from the side rail for both 8 (2nd ball break) and 9 ball. When I switch to an 'in the box' break, my speed goes up a few mph, but not too much, maybe 22-24 tops. If I make more than 1 ball, great, but all I want is to make 1 ball and have a decent shot after the break. Like I said, I concentrate a lot more on being consistent on the break.

BTW, I got my pool nickname 'Snapshot' because of the way I broke the balls at that time, with more of an pendulum swing on the final stroke. I am 5'7", and found I could generate more power with that type of swing.

Scott,
22-24 mph is a great speed for breaking, at least from what I have gleaned from watching the pros break and clocking their speed. I think I will be satisfied when I get to that speed. I'm at 19-20 right now without doing anything so it shouldn't be a big jump to move up another 10-15%. We'll see.

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
Mine is 20mph with perfect cue ball control and usually 2-3 balls in. Don't see why it should be faster

JoeyA

Silver Member
Mine is 20mph with perfect cue ball control and usually 2-3 balls in. Don't see why it should be faster

NICE!
If I were pocketing 2-3 balls on the break on even a semi-regular basis, I wouldn't change a thing either.

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
NICE!
If I were pocketing 2-3 balls on the break on even a semi-regular basis, I wouldn't change a thing either.

Yep, the 1 into the left middle pocket and one into the right side pocket, this is normal. Then with luck another one goes in :grin: