How good is/was Scotty Townsend?

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I count myself lucky to consider Scotty to be a good friend. Since when does/did Scotty ever play one hole? Having said that, Scotty may be the best PERSON out of champions. If Scotty likes you, he would literally give you the shirt off of his back. God help you if he didn't like you, lol. For anyone that doesn't know Scotty, this story should sum him up. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM PARAPHRASING HERE, AS I DON'T KNOW THE EXACT WORDS. Warren Kiamco(or his rep if you like) asked Scotty in Olathe at the ring game if he "how about we give you the 8 and play some sets". Scotty says "how about you keep the 8, and we play some sets". Long story short, Scotty gets the cash. That isn't a word for word, but ANYONE that knows Scotty knows this is right in line, lol.

Yeah, this is the story I was going to post. In Olathe,KS, I thought originally Scotty was going to get the seven from Kiamco. But whatever happened, Scotty said screw the spot, let's play even. And like you said he got the cash. This is 'old school' personified. Scotty is one of a kind.

Ralph Braswell introduced me to Scotty at a tournament in Port Arthur, TX, back when Action Jackson was pumping up the calcuttas. Ralph said "Scotty,you're one of the best pool players in the country, I'd like you to meet one of the best horse racing handicappers in the country." Ralph may have been exaggerating some on my part, but I did turn him on to some good plays several times.

Hope to see Scotty again soon.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scotty had a super high speed of play, we battled many times

A player came into the US Open practice room once amazed that Scotty had just run 7 and out on CJ Wiley to strand him on the hill when CJ was right at the top of the rankings. I just said, "Don't you know who Scotty Townsend is?"

I heard he ran 8 racks of 10 ball in that Memphis ring game one year. He's a champion player, no doubt about it. Finished 3rd in the Camel World 9 Ball once, but he's never played the pro tour full time that I'm aware of. Someone should sponsor him to play all the pro events.

That's right, Scotty had a super high speed of play, we battled many times in cash games. I don't remember the US OPEN story, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I always spotted him and would end up winning, however, it would take several days straight to do it. His best game was bar tables, although he could play superb on a 9' table as well. Most of our cash games were on bar tables playing "Two Foul" rules.

MikesCues048

Cues 4 Christ
Silver Member
I am happy to say I've known Scotty for 10+ yrs.
I've played Scotty on bar tables, 8' & 9 ft.
I've watched him play others for hrs.
He is a nice guy, but get on the table with him after you beat out a friend of his in a tourney & 7-0.
Monster player, great story teller, gambler, etc.
Don't ever bet against him in anything, because he can flip a quarter better than anyone I've seen.
He bet a guy he'd eat a watch, the guy bet, Scotty grabs the guys watch & eats it.
I have had the pleasure of being around him watching, learning, laughing & listening.
He always wears his bear claw around his neck & most often is wearing a sleeveless T-shirt.
All around good guy, glad to know him, hope to see him play again soon in GA.

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotty's adventures.

Iwas playing in a tournament at Jack's Billiards in Newnan,Ga.one year and heard Scotty was coming.Kept waiting and waiting,no Scotty.Somebody said he's outback.Went outback and there was Scotty skinning a bobcat.I asked Scotty ,what the hell are you doing.He said he ran over it on the and wasn't about to leave it there.Shook my head Got a million more.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I got to spend some time with Scotty a few years back at a tournament we were both in.
I really enjoyed talking to Scotty , he's funny as any comedian and man can he play.
He has a real simple game with a short open bridge and he didn't miss much even playing Earl at this event

Last edited:

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotty drunk.

Scotty told me one night he got drunk and passed out by the railroad tracks.Next morning three guy's woke him up and demanded money.Stilll lying on his back,he reached in his pocket,threw some change up in the air and said,have a party.Had a couple of thousands on him.My name is Larry Hayes.Love that guy.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotty has a good story about how he learned to control the cue ball.

Last edited:

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess my first post didn't go thru.Jack's Billiards in Newnan,Ga.had a tourny and was told Scotty was coming.Everyone was looking but no Scotty.Somebody said he was outback.Went outback and there was Scotty skinning a bobcat.Asked Scotty where did you get that?He said he ran over it on the way up and just couldn't leave it there.My name is Larry Hayes and Scotty is my hero.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is only one and will never be another like him. All the crazy stories are true, He is one amazing guy, and he is my friend.

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As good as they come

Never backed down from ANYONE, fearless, capable of beating everyone when he wasn't overly medicated with his love for liquor. God Bless him, really lost a GREAT friend.

PoolChump

Banned
Who is Scotty Townsend?

Anyone know how good he played in his prime? And how good he is now? I saw him play at the U.S. Open several years ago and he didn't seem like anything special at all, but I've been told by more than one person that he was a monster, that he could run out whole sets, never miss all night. Any truth to this?

Who is Scotty Townsend?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i saw him play in las vegas many years ago
he had an ebony schon box cue that caught my eye

then his shooting put me in shock

at one time he played very good

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Scotty Townsend

I only found out yesterday about Scotty, he was like another brother to me and my brother Calvin, I know where ever I would run into him on the road he always hug my neck, it may have been years or months between times but at that moment it was like we had never been apart! I'm sure it was that way for many of you too.

I know for me, Calvin and all of you that were friends with Scotty we will miss him dearly, especially the words of humor and jokes he could come up with and have the whole room laughing.

Rest in Peace Scotty Townsend

David Harcrow

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw him win some big tourn. is Dallas about 25 yrs ago. The Airport Hotel ball room. All the big boys were there. Dick Lane , Buddy and many other. It came down too Little Al and Scotty. They acted like they couldn't stand each other and a neutral racker was required. Scotty had the hotties girlfriend you ever seen. Before matches started Scotty had her bet big on whoever was giving out lines during the tourn.