How league operators take more than they give

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have competition that is heavily APA. APA players who wanted to play out of our room were forbidden to. A few teams quit based on principle.

Our room has 90 percent of the old timers and the better big table players. It's a room like days gone by. When guys want to improve, they get off the small tables and play better players, with or without handicaps. Beating a housewife just isn't the same. Pool rooms should have a hierarchy based on ability on the table.

You pretty much personify why pool is (arguably) dying in the U.S. Your views defy logic. If you want pool to grow, you want more people to play. Leagues are the perfect way to get new players to play. You're just bashing APA because you don't like the tactics of some local APA guy and it's hurting your pool hall business. Don't wrap it up into "what's good or bad for pool", because you don't seem to know about that.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fake news. He has been trying to promote APA, as a matter of fact. The LO, meanwhile, has forbidden teams to play at Salt City Billiards.

A real pool town is a place that's got strong players and guys that like action. You will get played over there if you're looking for a game. Babe Cranfield is from Syracuse, I believe.

lorider, why u all salty?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't play league pool if they gave me 50 dollars a night .
That's what I think of it in case anyone cares , or even if they don't. lol

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leagues are great for pool because they bring in players. People who say things like "beating a housewife just isn't the same," besides being retrograde and offensive, completely miss the point of why people participate in leagues.

Meanwhile, league operators who try to stop players and teams from participating in other leagues or at particular venues are sleazy and should be shunned.

These are not contradictory sentiments.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way all hotel reservations work, regardless of length of time reserved, is that the first night is guaranteed with a credit card (either yours, or possibly your LO, if they made the reservations). Once you check in, usually a credit card is required, and they charge you by the day. You pay the bill when you check out, whether you stayed the entire time, or not. This just happened a couple weeks ago at the DCC. I had reserved 10 nights, and only used 8...which is all I had to pay for. So, under that scenario, if your LO made and paid for your rooms...he kept the money from the extra days that your team didn't use. If that's what happened, you have a legitimate gripe, that you should take up with APA National in St. Louis.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

It wasn't my team but I know the team captain that was there. As soon as they were eliminated, they were told subsequent night would not be paid for. It was a raw deal.

To SBC.... We really do wish you the best of luck. You may have the fortune to live and operate in an area that has enough of the kind of player you cater to. Where your vision is obscured, is most do not operate in areas that have enough of this kind of clientele. I do find it a little short sighted that any business owner would alienate any potential customer.

Again, the best of luck to you.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Leagues are great for pool because they bring in players. People who say things like "beating a housewife just isn't the same," besides being retrograde and offensive, completely miss the point of why people participate in leagues.

Meanwhile, league operators who try to stop players and teams from participating in other leagues or at particular venues are sleazy and should be shunned.

These are not contradictory sentiments.

Agreed........