How level is "level" for pool tables?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've never seen a table with lift-out slate...? All the recovers I've seen, the rails are put on after the cloth.

pj
chgo
Some English pool tables have those. One piece lift out slate and the rails fasten down with clips. It works ok for a small table and small balls. Scaled up it wouldn't be good, I suspect.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Imagine my frustration when I'm trying to level a 7' valley after a league night and they won't quit leaning on the table from both sides to get a close look at the level. :mad:

I started out with a table with 17 beer coasters and 3 easy slide furniture movers under the feet to make it "level". The legs were all fully extended, one just sitting on the threads (not engaged at all). One leveler bolt bent severely so the foot only touches on one point and is in no way flat to the floor.

I got the table to under one mark (starrette) side to side and 3 marks end to end. I wasn't satisfied but they wouldn't listen, no jack and at this point it's 100X better than it was.

Owner won't buy anything to fix the bent leveler. It's frustrating because if I had 30 minutes by myself and a bottle jack I could have got the table as perfect as possible with a bent leveler bolt but everybody and their brother was suddenly an expert at reading a machinist level while leaning on the table at the same time. 🤣

There must have been some kind of a deal on nine foot tables right around WWII or just after. Every country store and bar of this era seemed to have one. Sitting on sill and plank floors, the floorboards with big enough gaps between them that dirt and cigarette butts were just swept through. Beer coasters were the standard adjustment, even in the rare cases of adjustable feet. What made me a wee bit crazy was that it wasn't unusual to find the coasters under all four feet with over an inch of coasters under some feet! I leveled the tables a bit sometimes but I knew it was a losing battle.

Hu

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond considers .001” for the length of the table, to be level.

The video mentions that Starret machinist level is accurate to 0.005 over 12" whereas that level is accurate to 0.000,5 over 12" (or better once you learn to read it well.) {He also failed to mention nulling the level on a surface plate prior to using the level.}

I level my home table with a jack and paper shims. The shims are 0.004" thick, and you can tell by slow rolling balls watching if the roll off in the last inch of travel coming to a stop. This was after the mechanic set up the table leveling the base, and then the slates; because the pier and beam house moves with changing ground moisture.

On my cloth (Simonis 760) more than 1 paper shim out of dead level allows the ball to roll off.

TexasShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The video mentions that Starret machinist level is accurate to 0.005 over 12" whereas that level is accurate to 0.000,5 over 12" (or better once you learn to read it well.) {He also failed to mention nulling the level on a surface plate prior to using the level.}

I level my home table with a jack and paper shims. The shims are 0.004" thick, and you can tell by slow rolling balls watching if the roll off in the last inch of travel coming to a stop. This was after the mechanic set up the table leveling the base, and then the slates; because the pier and beam house moves with changing ground moisture.

On my cloth (Simonis 760) more than 1 paper shim out of dead level allows the ball to roll off.
At 2:11 mark he says each line represents 1/5000 of an inch over 12 inches. That’s 0.0002”. He later indicated that, if the total of the measurements along each side is within 5/5000, it is acceptable. 5/5000 is 0.001“. The legs on the diamond are easy to adjust with the bolts. I followed his instruction for all the shims with a 0.0002” level and it worked out great.