How long before you got it

Onepocket73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You were a run-out player after playing for 1 year?
Yes,I was very capable of running a 9ball or 8ball rack after about a year.Like I said,the bigger challenge is doing it under pressure against good players,which is a whole other side of the game.Goes way beyond the physical act of playing and taps into the deeper psyche of a man where all of his insecurities and fears lie.It's the truth....

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I think the best I've played was in my 30's, when I was playing alot. Now I'm back to playing 3 or 4 months a year, and mostly only 3 or 4 times in a month. It used to be if I ran out now and then from a open shot I was happy. Now I'm aggravated when I don't run out, because I expect to get out.

To me the biggest difference between a low b (me) and a A player is defensive shots and when they are played. I'm probably more likely to sell out if I get out of line, than I am to play a good safety.
Seems the better you get, the more you realize how much you have to improve. If you want to be a good player, play the best competition you can, watch the approach to defense, to run outs, even to the break.

And wish I played one pocket, because its a game that helps in almost every other game. Lack of 9ft tables in my area makes it a rare game.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes,I was very capable of running a 9ball or 8ball rack after about a year.Like I said,the bigger challenge is doing it under pressure against good players,which is a whole other side of the game.Goes way beyond the physical act of playing and taps into the deeper psyche of a man where all of his insecurities and fears lie.It's the truth....

He was questioning because there is a HUGE difference between one who can run a rack and being a run out player.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Tramp Steamer always knows the right thing to say... Confidence and One Pocket.

The more you play / practice, the more confidence you gain... the better you get. One Pocket will help to destroy your confidence if properly played with merciless senior citizens who delight in the torment of youngsters or the uninitiated. The balance that lies between these two things will keep you on the correct path and you will know precisely where you stand at any given moment.

Warmest regards,

Lesh
aka Whipping-Boy

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive been playing like everyone else, recreationaly in the bar and a few pool hall visits here and there for most of my life but until the first of this year, never really took it serious. I have really been bitten by the bug and I feel like I am obsessed with the game. I am just wondering how long it took you before you were a consistent shot maker. I know it takes a ton of practice and im not looking for any magic solution, Im just curious to know how long it took before you felt like you were decent.
Try not to think, or focus too much on 'getting decent.' You will save yourself alot of time and heart ache by focusing on specific things, like proper alignment, body position, and cue delivery.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I never did learn tooooooo fast. But I started playing in 1963-4 and 1969 lost to Varner in the Midwest Collegiate 14.1 finals @ IU. After play we went to the pool room, won about $340 and also tapped into $teve Oaks? Tommy Spencer and Joey Gold were comin' up Quick too. Cole Dixon was a ball better + than any of us at that time.

I never had thought about how long it took to do what or get to what level....the game had me by the ''rack''. Looking at the timelines above it happened quicker than I thought, but I've never felt I've got it ''all the time'' so it's fun chasing and catching the rabbit now and then.

Thanks to the Thread Starter for this subject.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a sport, not a light switch.

Theres no 'got it'.

Even top players continue to learn and be exposed to new things.

Ive been playing like everyone else, recreationaly in the bar and a few pool hall visits here and there for most of my life but until the first of this year, never really took it serious. I have really been bitten by the bug and I feel like I am obsessed with the game. I am just wondering how long it took you before you were a consistent shot maker. I know it takes a ton of practice and im not looking for any magic solution, Im just curious to know how long it took before you felt like you were decent.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Been playing for 25 years and it took me 15 years to be consistently calm and relaxed on the table feeling that I'm in control of everything. Still not really consistent overall but I can feel it. If that makes any sense...