How long or UNUSED tips good for?

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend passed away and his wife gave me all his cue making stuff. I have many Ultraskin black tips both soft and hard
and also Oinkers brown soft and medium, layered tips. They are new' never be used and could be as old at 10-20 years. Do you think they
are still good to use. Thanks for your advice.
Tom

slim123

A friend passed away and his wife gave me all his cue making stuff. I have many Ultraskin black tips both soft and hard
and also Oinkers brown soft and medium, layered tips. They are new' never be used and could be as old at 10-20 years. Do you think they
are still good to use. Thanks for your advice.
Tom
They are probably ok, however when you install one and cut into it you will know for sure

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They should be fine. If anyone has any really old Triangles they are afraid to use I am interested in them. I am down to my last 6 and the new ones just are not the same.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should be fine. If anyone has any really old Triangles they are afraid to use I am interested in them. I am down to my last 6 and the new ones just are not the same.
LOL
The Fat Man would carry a few tip in his pocket for months or years. No telling.
He claimed simply handling them improved them over time.

He came in one day and handed me a bunch of tips he claimed he pulled off a cue rack from an old pool hall. The owner apparently glued cue tips on when the leather flaps or rubber thingies failed to secure the shaft end.

Most were ugly but also large. 14mm, some even larger.
They were nice once glued and groomed.

1976? Maybe?
Island Drive.. Help me, when did Ichy open Stardust in Carbondale?

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
They should be fine.

A older cue maker died out here in the Vegas High desert and I know a guy who bought the tip inventory. Tips were fine and some were over 20 years old for sure.

So in a enviroiment that averages 17% reative humifity as yearly average they were good. I would assume in a more humid location they would be good too.

Get a couple , install them and see how they trim and contour. Bring your durometer and also do a random sampling of the hardness.

Hard Knock Cues

I could part with a 1/2 dozen if the drawer is labeled correctly and these look like them. I boght out a bunch of supplies a few years ago and im not experienced enough to know. Best i can tell the cue maker passed in 2008 so these are at least that old.

Do you know what kind of tips are in the second picture, with the red pad attached?

Sorry if the resolution is poor, I can't download any pictures with a higher resolution.

Attachments

• 17056799925593748480360452064572.jpg
    17056799925593748480360452064572.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 52
  • 17056800401843061726324136448524.jpg
    17056800401843061726324136448524.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 52

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I could part with a 1/2 dozen if the drawer is labeled correctly and these look like them. I boght out a bunch of supplies a few years ago and im not experienced enough to know. Best i can tell the cue maker passed in 2008 so these are at least that old.

Do you know what kind of tips are in the second picture, with the red pad attached?

Sorry if the resolution is poor, I can't download any pictures with a higher resolution.
PM me how much you want for them. Those are probably Triumphs or Champions.