How many of you are ambidextrous?

AlinEdm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of weeks back the friend I was playing with asked the owner of the club why mechanical bridges were not allowed in billiards. He responded by asking him why my friend's name was Arthur.

Being left-handed I am used to figuring out the "right" way to do things, and so when I started playing pocket billiards I made it a point to practice with my other arm periodically. It still doesn't feel natural, but it does help sometimes when I want to keep the rhythm going. Another benefit is that it makes my dominant arm feel even more natural.

Now that I'm hooked on billiards I'm thinking that this skill is even more important to develop, especially if I were ever to play on a larger table. Hence the topic's question: how many of the members here can switch arms at will?

shayne87

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bridges

A couple of weeks back the friend I was playing with asked the owner of the club why mechanical bridges were not allowed in billiards. He responded by asking him why my friend's name was Arthur.

Being left-handed I am used to figuring out the "right" way to do things, and so when I started playing pocket billiards I made it a point to practice with my other arm periodically. It still doesn't feel natural, but it does help sometimes when I want to keep the rhythm going. Another benefit is that it makes my dominant arm feel even more natural.

Now that I'm hooked on billiards I'm thinking that this skill is even more important to develop, especially if I were ever to play on a larger table. Hence the topic's question: how many of the members here can switch arms at will?

Bridges are allowed according to the rules of the UMB

AlinEdm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that information, shayne87. I had not heard of the Union Mondiale de Billard until just now.

From their website: Section 14.2 in World Rules of Carom Billiards:

The player has the right to use a "rake", a small stick with a stock at the end made
of wood or any other material determined to replace the hand in certain positions
of the body which are difficult to take.

It does beg another question for the members though: Does the billiard hall you play at have "rakes", or am I the only one with this disadvantage?

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not me, i have a theory about this:

if you notice most naturally talented pool/billiard/snooker players can play good with both hands, the less talented players have a bigger gap in their ability to switch hit. I think its a matter of coordination, which I have none and as a result have had to struggle for many years to play at a respectable standard, but if I have to shoot a shot left handed forget it, I look like I never held a cue ever.

Thats my theory, I can shoot a hand gun almost equally well with either hand from a rest, but if I have to draw the gun and shoot it left handed I might shoot my foot or something. Anytime there is motion involved I believe talent that your born with is a key factor in your ability to switch hit. Futhermore I believe you cant train in what God left out, meaning if I played left handed for a year I still wouldnt be able to hold a cue, it just isnt possible. Cicsero Murphy I believe had a car accident and changed sides and still played real strong, but he was a gifted player to begin with-am I right about this??? There was a player that this happened to.

Last edited:

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
I switch hands, but I definitely lose some when shooting left handed. Sometimes I won't be able to make the shot I'm thinking of because of the position, but for easier shots I can do that left handed.

then again, I suck even playing right handed :)