How much longer must we endure this insane format CSI is pushing

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Mark and I think CSI does a great job but this two races to four followed by the normally inevitable shoot-out I simply can't hack. A race to four proves nothing and a shoot out proves far less. Race to 8 and that's that. What a complete crock of shit this is. I SIMPLY CANNOT WATCH THIS!!!

oknazevad

Registered
Yeah, they definitely overthought it. I wouldn't necessarily mind the sets format if there was an odd number of sets, but two sets doesn't work. Either just go with a single race to 8, or have a third set that's an abbreviated race to 2 if a full race to 4 is considered too long.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
What would you watch if you do not like the program. Better to boycott, and advise reason you don’t support in writing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but these events have yet to catch my fancy, for several reasons, but the short races are not the problem in my case. I like short races, and I'd be fine with best two out of three races to three.

1) The shootouts are ridiculous and worse than this, they are very numerous. Why should matches ever be decided by just one of the skills in a game that requires a) a good break, b) good defense, c) good kicking, d) good jumping, e) good pattern play, f) good tactical conceptualization, g) good speed control and yes, h) good ball pocketing. I sometimes tune out just before the shootout.

2) There are far too many matches in which the winner doesn't seem to have outplayed the loser. That doesn't sit well with me.

3) The top-heavy payout structure in these events is absurd. Only the top eight in these events can earn anything to speak of net of expenses, so the prize money is, for practical purposes, the sole domain of the elite players. I had hoped that this tour would be a boon to emerging American players, giving them a chance to earn money in their home country, but emerging American players are making next to nothing from this tour, and this tour may never be a springboard for aspiring American professionals. Finally, the top- heavy payout structure means that matches aren't very important until the very late stages.

4) The game as played is for the diehards only. Almost nobody anywhere plays call shot rotation pool, and nobody plays money ball doesn't count on the break. To anyone but a diehard, the game as played isn't at all recognizable.

5) These tables don't play well. Predator has got some work to do, but given their commitment to excellence, I'm sure they will further develop their product.

All that said, I'm continuing to give these events a chance, hoping they'll catch my fancy one day, and I encourage others to stay the course. I'm still watching the occasional match.

Last edited:

johnhendy

Registered
Go to the dark side and watch some eight man Round Robin One Pocket. No champions here, just good local players, who love it.

50365895-7F73-49A0-84F0-A595F98220F0.jpeg

tomatoshooter

I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but these events have yet to catch my fancy, for several reasons, but the short races are not the problem in my case. I like short races, and I'd be fine with best two out of three races to three.

1) The shootouts are ridiculous and worse than this, they are very numerous. Why should matches ever be decided by just one of the skills in a game that requires a) a good break, b) good defense, c) good kicking, d) good jumping, e) good pattern play, f) good tactical conceptualization, and yes, g) good ball pocketing. I sometimes tune out just before the shootout.

2) There are far too many matches in which the winner doesn't seem to have outplayed the loser. That doesn't sit well with me.

3) The top-heavy payout structure in these events is absurd. Only the top eight in these events can earn anything to speak of net of expenses, so the prize money is, for practical purposes, the sole domain of the elite players. I had hoped that this tour would be a boon to emerging American players, giving them a chance to earn money in their home country, but emerging American players are making next to nothing from this tour, and this tour may never be a springboard for aspiring American professionals. Finally, the top- heavy payout structure means that matches aren't very important until the very late stages.

4) The game as played is for the diehards only. Almost nobody anywhere plays call shot rotation pool, and nobody plays money ball doesn't count on the break. To anyone but a diehard, the game as played isn't at all recognizable.

5) These tables don't play well. Predator has got some work to do, but given their commitment to excellence, I'm sure they will further develop their product.

All that said, I'm continuing to give these events a chance, hoping they'll catch my fancy one day, and I encourage others to stay the course. I'm still watching the occasional match.
I like the three races to three idea, if you are going to do multiple sets. That's still a maximum of 15 games, same as a race to 8 and one more than 2 races to 4. When you say that the winner doesn't seem to have outplayed the loser, do you mean that the format allowed a weaker player to squeak past a stronger player or just that neither player had a proper chance to demonstrate superiority?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Said it for years what other sport has 6 - 8 groups running shoe go no where, on Pool.

Bunch of grifters fight over attracting player to their little Pond they are big fish of.

BCSPL, CSI, ACS, APA, and how many other groups?

Pool in US A should’ve under one Governing Body, OneSet Of Rules, both Amateur & Pro Pool.

Might not hear no more stories if players, winning, or placing in tournament’s only to get rubber, or no checks.

Scanctioned Event mean prize guaranteed, and no bull💩.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I like the three races to three idea, if you are going to do multiple sets. That's still a maximum of 15 games, same as a race to 8 and one more than 2 races to 4. When you say that the winner doesn't seem to have outplayed the loser, do you mean that the format allowed a weaker player to squeak past a stronger player or just that neither player had a proper chance to demonstrate superiority?
I'm saying that that neither player had a proper chance to demonstrate superiority.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching that 14yr old Finn beat Sky in the SO was epic. Didn't like it at first but i'm warming to it. If changes are needed i think they'll come but so far Pred/CSI/FR are getting what they wanted imo.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1) The shootouts are ridiculous and worse than this, they are very numerous. Why should matches ever be decided by just one of the skills in a game that requires a) a good break, b) good defense, c) good kicking, d) good jumping, e) good pattern play, f) good tactical conceptualization, and yes, g) good ball pocketing. I sometimes tune out just before the shootout.

While you end with a very SJM-worthy positive sentiment, you have given a lot of good reasons NOT to stay the course with the current setup. I hope the organizers are listening.

You are one of the world’s biggest fans of pro pool and if this doesn’t “catch your fancy” then that’s a big problem.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not too enthused with the Pool Show of late so for now, bfd...

BUT, this friend I'm posting for wants to know why they don't have back cuts and straight backs and whatever else players might be incompetent at????