How often do you guys use this shot?

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Based on your CB route, I think you put low or low-right on the CB, not low-left as depicted in the cuetable. Low-left would have taken you right at the 7.

EDIT: The pic changed...yes, its a nice way to ensure you get a good angle on the 7 to get to the 9. The center of the table is your friend.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
Based on your CB route, I think you put low or low-right on the CB, not low-left as depicted in the cuetable. Low-left would have taken you right at the 7.
I corrected it. You're right, inside reverse spin. Bottom right hand.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
This came up last night:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3FYQS4GWPo2IBkR4PLbC3aYQS3acSC4kLbC3kWUg3kaiq3kOjb3kOCk3kBOv1uCUG@

I got the wrong side of the 6 and the 7 was interfering with the usual three rail lane.

I was pleased with the results and got out from there. But I thought maybe I don't use this shot often enough. :bash:

You played it very well. That's precisely what should go through your thought process - how to get the correct angle and assure trouble is avoided.

I'm not sure of your skill level in the league but this is the type of thinking you usually don't see exhibited on a consistent basis until the B-class.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
This shot plays to my bread and butter. Inside english with a hint of low. I would play it exactly as you laid it out.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
You played it very well. That's precisely what should go through your thought process - how to get the correct angle and assure trouble is avoided.

I'm not sure of your skill level in the league but this is the type of thinking you usually don't see exhibited on a consistent basis until the B-class.
Hey, Jude. I'm rated B at the ABC Team 9 ball.

Heard you played Mika yesterday.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
That's a good shot to have in your arsenal, but (just for discussion) it isn't necessary in the layout you diagrammed. There's plenty of room (and it looks like you can cut the 6 thin enough) to go 3-4 rails with no real danger of scratching or hitting the 7:

CueTable Help

It takes some confidence in your angles off balls and rails, but it's really pretty rote once you have that.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Yes, I lost. That guy plays pretty sporty.

You gotta do better than that...what was the game, and what was the spot? Details, man, we need details. LOL:yes:

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
That's a good shot to have in your arsenal, but (just for discussion) it isn't necessary in the layout you diagrammed. There's plenty of room (and it looks like you can cut the 6 thin enough) to go 3-4 rails with no real danger of scratching or hitting the 7:

CueTable Help

It takes some confidence in your angles off balls and rails, but it's really pretty rote once you have that.

pj
chgo
I thought about overcutting the 6 a hair and coming underneath the 7 two rails.

Just thought it was unnecessary risk.

P.S. I've seen Pagulayan play your shot 5 rails and come back out to the middle of the table. Insanity.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
trustyrusty said:
You gotta do better than that...what was the game, and what was the spot? Details, man, we need details. LOL:yes:

He gave me 3 on 10 and I lost 10-8.

It's difficult for me to say much more about it. I made more mistakes than he made. He is an incredibly talented pool player and when he had an opening, he breezed through the rack. For me, it was a bit more of a struggle.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
I thought about overcutting the 6 a hair and coming underneath the 7 two rails.

Just thought it was unnecessary risk.

I only do that kind of thing for practice.

P.S. I've seen Pagulayan play your shot 5 rails and come back out to the middle of the table. Insanity.

That shot's to impress the ladies.

The normal route hits in the middle of the end rail and goes toward the 7, like you said, so it's a choice of which corner pocket you want to play closer to. Your shot plays closer to the top corner, but the spin, angles and speed are a little harder to judge. If there's room I like playing closer to the bottom corner because the spin, angles and speed are more familiar and predictable.

pj
chgo

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
You're certainly right shooting that shot with reverse and at shallow angles the speed is harder to judge. It felt like I overhit it a bit to make sure I'm above the 7.

That's the only reason I even considered going your route and coming close to the 7 off that third rail. It's easy to scrape it and come up with no shot.

Last edited:

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
It looks like you could also just thin the 6 with high inside and come out 1 rail for position for the Z shot from the 7 to the 9. Or maybe the Cue Table is deceiving or perhaps I just suck. Either way, nice shot. :D

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
... I even considered going your route and coming close to the 7 off that third rail. It's easy to scrape it and come up with no shot.

It's not nearly as risky as you might think. As it's diagrammed, if you can come off the 6 steeply and be confident of hitting at least a half diamond below the middle diamond on the end rail you'll have no problem with the 7. And it's almost impossible to scratch in the top side pocket.

There's more room than it looks like.

pj
chgo

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
It looks like you could also just thin the 6 with high inside and come out 1 rail for position for the Z shot from the 7 to the 9. Or maybe the Cue Table is deceiving or perhaps I just suck. Either way, nice shot. :D

thats what i was thinking too. Less travel means less chance of trouble.
Id go 1 rail with high inside.

maybe the table is decieving though. it can be hard to make an accurate representation with the cuetable sometimes.

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
This came up last night:

I got the wrong side of the 6 and the 7 was interfering with the usual three rail lane.

I was pleased with the results and got out from there. But I thought maybe I don't use this shot often enough. :bash:

Ha ha, your shot looks like a TonyT special... It can be hard to judge because you have to think about reverse english, cushion reaction to CB speed/spin for both rails and deflection adjustment..

I would try a soft draw with a finesse like this.. In the worst case, prepare to play a safety on the 7

CueTable Help

This is the first time I joined ABC league. I also lost to Mika (10:4) :)

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that shot comes up pretty often. i use it all the time with outside to go around 3 rails to get shape on something around the headspot or behind the side pocket or something. on this one though, thats alot of ground to cover. miscue or hit it alittle too soft and you end up behind the foot string and you've left yourself a nasty bank. in this scenerio with an easy duck in the side, i would opt for 1-2 tips of inside and play it medium off 1 rail back to to stay behind the 7 for the uptable cut.

CueTable Help

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:

CueTable Help

pj
chgo

Edit:

I just realized I'm trying to get shape on the wrong ball - I'm playing for the 9 next instead of the 7!

LOL - what a maroon. Please ignore everything I said.

pj
chgo