How to Ignore distractions?

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed an interesting problem the other day that might be expanded on by others. Perhaps others have found a way to deal with this problem.

Usually I practice alone and very much enjoy it. Over time I have included improving my ability to concentrate. I think of this training as something like the Buddhist monks or various martial arts use in their daily routines. It is a form of integrating the complex physical requirements needed for playing pool with the mental discipline required to concentrate, let go, plan, and concentrate again. In my practice routines I have found that I play much better than I did a year ago. Of course I try to use these techniques when in competition.

A week ago I played every night for a week or so with a fellow who talks all the time. He is a nice enough guy but just can’t seem to shut up. His pace is about twice as fast as most others and he is a fairly good player. We were playing a variation of Chicago (one point per ball in a game of 25) and he is able to run a table of 15 once or twice a night.

We had a lot of fun and I thought that this would be a great place to practice my ability to concentrate under the constant talking conditions. I found that constant human chatter has a negative effect on my game. My playing was off by 25 – 30% and this is a significant decrease in a game of 15 ball rotation. It is odd that no matter how much I have practiced the ability to concentrate this type of chatter is probably one of the most aversive conditions for me. Now I can see where I need to practice much more with constant chatter in the room.

How have others dealt with this difficult problem?

It seems to me that I need to re-structure my practice routine so that it will include more than just the ability to have intense concentration at will. It needs to include the ability to tune out distractions. It is probably something like those monks who sit under a freezing water fall while they meditate. Has anyone else found a way to do this type of thing?

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 3 year old daughter and I often practice with her in the room. I dont think there are to many distractions that could compare to that. If you have access to any 3 year olds I would highly suggest borrowing one and trying out this strategy. :smile: Also a great way to work on any lack of patience you might have.

Last edited:

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I really prefer to practice alone, in as quiet a place as I can find. No jukebox, no loud barking or kids, etc. I find I get the best game-based practice that way, but when I go to different places, with lots of commotion, it is distracting.

One of the things I'm trying to work on is getting the same sort of practice routine and results by practicing at the loud pool hall instead of the quiet one. It definitely takes a lot more conscious effort to not let the music get in your head, or the screaming teenage girls talking smack about the teenage boys, or in my particular case, the group of 11 foreigners surrounding the next table yelling and screaming in their native language about who knows what.

If you have your own table at home, I'd suggest getting 2 radios, playing them at the same time on different stations at a considerable volume. Run the same drills you would normally and see how you do.

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
As strange as it sounds distractions help me focus. I have always played in loud places with loud people. People talk to me the whole time I play, except when I am down on the shot. They can talk to each other when I am down on the shot, just not to me. I can tune out everyting. We go to the pool room and gamble on league night, and these league players are the loudest most inconsiderate folks around. They yell, scream and jump up and down after every shot it seems, with no awareness that the guy on the table next to them might be down on the 9 for $100. They ***** and complain if somebody puts a $2.95 beer on their tab! I am not a big fan of the league players, but I feel their lack consideration has helped my focus.

"T"

Son of Da Poet
Silver Member
It's kind of interesting. To me it depends on the type of chatter. Rhetorical chat is no biggie, and think that might be likely true for most players. If your opponent is stopping and starting play to chat and expecting a response from you after every statement he makes, especially when it's your turn at the table, whether the guy is doing it deliberately or not, this is a bit on the sharky side of chat and there might not a good way to practice your way around it.

You were having fun, so that is often what matters most anyways. :D

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry but the moment I read the title of this thread, I chuckled. You can't ignore a distraction. If it's a distraction, you're not ignoring it. What you CAN do is learn to cope with them. I like to think of myself as difficult to shark. Sometimes it's important to take control of your environment and eliminate the distraction but on the whole, you're just going to have to build up your ability to handle it internally.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 3 year old daughter and I often practice with her in the room. I dont think there are to many distractions that could compare to that. If you have access to any 3 year olds I would highly suggest borrowing one and trying out this strategy. :smile: Also a great way to work on any lack of patience you might have.

I totally agree. I also have a 3 year old who "helps" me practice. Nothing like having a little one run around the table to make you have to focus. She also goes "uh oh" whenever I miss a shot. LOL

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Rather then try to shut out the distraction I focus more on what I am doing.I used to try to ignore talkers or other distraction but all my attention was on the distraction and trying not to be distracted.What I do now when I find myself listening to chatter is to realy focus more on my table and what I am doing.Thinking possitive and enjoying the game also helps.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have your own table at home, I'd suggest getting 2 radios, playing them at the same time on different stations at a considerable volume. Run the same drills you would normally and see how you do.

Thanks, that is a great idea. I will have to try that. All my grandchildren are up North now so the 3 year old is not available but I also like that one as the kids require attention.

This distraction thing is not something I had really given much thought. I had emphasized the ability to concentrate. I have learned there is more to it than just concentrating on the shot. I now think that learning to ignore potential distractions is a topic in itself. Hmmm

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe,
You could politely ask him to shut up! I don't play with people who are constantly talking, even my best friends in the pool world. I've always found that George Fels's comment about concentrating on the cue ball was helpful.
Following the cue ball after the hit instead of following the object ball to the pocket.
Some times I just deal with it better than others. Practicing in a public room can be a pain in the neck, depending on who is on the table next to you.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe,
You could politely ask him to shut up! I don't play with people who are constantly talking, even my best friends in the pool world. I've always found that George Fels's comment about concentrating on the cue ball was helpful.
Following the cue ball after the hit instead of following the object ball to the pocket.
Some times I just deal with it better than others. Practicing in a public room can be a pain in the neck, depending on who is on the table next to you.

Yeah, I could just ask him to quiet down but as I see it, part of it is my problem. The world is full of people like this though they may not be aware that they are being rude. It seems to me that this is another one of those hills I should be able to climb. There are times when it is more tolerable than others none-the-less it seems to be something with which I should be able to deal for the most part in some situations.

I find that when I follow the cue ball my hand tends to follow the eye so I look for the hit and an "instant replay." Different strokes for different folks -- right!

I think you may be on to something though. When I do the instant replay thing it seems to require all the available brain power and thus there isn't room for anything else. Perhaps I need to put more effort into the instant replay and that will help tune hime out. Thanks

blah blah

Shoebat
Two issues

I think there are two types of distractions- ones that you need to respond to, and ones that you don't. In opposite order:

You have a very good hope of blocking out and ignoring constant distractions that don't have anything to do with you, like radios and background noises. You can turn them into a hum and they really do just disappear. Great for practicing to play in a loud poolroom.

But other things- surprise sudden noises or movements, people who talk and require a response, or children who require attention- cannot just be blocked out.

In meditation you are supposed to recognize the distraction, see it for what it is, and recognise that you have control over whether or not to allow it to take your focus. You are then supposed to make the active decision to not pursue the distraction (whether it's a train of thought you decide not to follow, or a question you decide not to even try to answer.) Focus fades slightly and briefly but is never lost.

Chatterboxes often ask for a response. A blank stare at them while you consciously decide that merely thinking of an answer is a distraction that you don't need to accept will often make them stop asking questions.

If you absolutely MUST respond (like to a child or to a good friend), maybe think of your focus like a faucet. Water is flowing, your movements and concentration are fluid. There is a distraction, and you turn the tap off. Deal with the distraction. When it is time to play, look back to the table and imagine the faucet being turned on again.

Good luck. (This is similar to my own current issue, too)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed an interesting problem the other day that might be expanded on by others. Perhaps others have found a way to deal with this problem.

Usually I practice alone and very much enjoy it. Over time I have included improving my ability to concentrate. I think of this training as something like the Buddhist monks or various martial arts use in their daily routines. It is a form of integrating the complex physical requirements needed for playing pool with the mental discipline required to concentrate, let go, plan, and concentrate again. In my practice routines I have found that I play much better than I did a year ago. Of course I try to use these techniques when in competition.

A week ago I played every night for a week or so with a fellow who talks all the time. He is a nice enough guy but just can’t seem to shut up. His pace is about twice as fast as most others and he is a fairly good player. We were playing a variation of Chicago (one point per ball in a game of 25) and he is able to run a table of 15 once or twice a night.

We had a lot of fun and I thought that this would be a great place to practice my ability to concentrate under the constant talking conditions. I found that constant human chatter has a negative effect on my game. My playing was off by 25 – 30% and this is a significant decrease in a game of 15 ball rotation. It is odd that no matter how much I have practiced the ability to concentrate this type of chatter is probably one of the most aversive conditions for me. Now I can see where I need to practice much more with constant chatter in the room.

It seems to me that I need to re-structure my practice routine so that it will include more than just the ability to have intense concentration at will. It needs to include the ability to tune out distractions. It is probably something like those monks who sit under a freezing water fall while they meditate. Has anyone else found a way to do this type of thing?

I used to play a guy that would sing nursery rhymes while I was shooting (no, really). And of course these are the guys that get dead silence (from you) while they are shooting and then immediately start talking to you and/or one or more persons on the rail when they miss. Love that one.

So I would recommend you just ignore or learn to deal with it. It's kinda like someone walking in front of your shot. Or, as happened to me not too long ago, an opponent moving his hands in my line of sight at the exact moment I'm pulling the trigger on a 9ball (what a coincidence). In both those cases, over the years, I've learned to stand up, take a breath, and then get back down on the shot. It's hard to learn, but it's what you have to be able to do if you want to become a better player -- you can't blame the waitress walking by, or the other guy's cowardice. You have to learn to accept responsibility for your shooting conditions and either wait until they improve, or develop the skill to zone out distractions.

So I think in your case, if he talks to you I'd learn to give the guy a one-line answer, and then shut ma mouth. Then, I'd give him the rest of my answer as *he* started shooting :)

Lou Figueroa

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member

A rock solid pre-shot routine while you stop listening and talking should get you into the proper zone.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not trying to be a wise ass , really , but i think you should do just the opposite. You need to place your self in an environment of distractions and work on tuning them out.

Another thing is to focus for each shot , then relax , then when you get down to shoot again , tune out and focus . Sometimes the distraction is something you despise , a type of music , or type of person . You need to practice acceptance for that short time you are in the poolroom/bar , then you will release that tension/anger that builds.

It ain't easy but it is just accepting something you can't change in the short term . Remember , Buddhist monks are usually isolated in temples and mountain tops where their humanity isn't evident , no outbursts of anger to be seen , but believe it is there.

My mother is in late stages of dementia , i've learned some , a sister and i are the care givers . You may be distracted by jabberbox at the pool table but have someone ask you the same question 20 times in a five minute period and see if you can focus on a television program with this going on during the entire program.

It is all perspective .

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Dogs

Get a couple of dogs who like to play and let them into the pool room with you. My dogs are all over the room when they get going. I normally don't allow it, but there is something in the ability to maintain concentration when a dog walks between you and the table while you are down on the shot. If you can block out the tail wagging right under your nose, you can block out about anything.

Most of the time I make them behave in the pool room and find a spot to lay down. They still come into play when you have to play a dog leg, or straddle over one of them to make a shot.

I think I'm going to start leaving them outside. They might just be ruining my game

:cool:

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member

This is indeed a challenge. The key to distractions, whether they are internal or external, is to neither fight nor follow them. Meditation and/or self-hypnosis helps to build a condition of equanimity. I often describe this to my patients as watching the rolling credits after a movie. You can observe and be aware of it without attending to it - that is unless you're interested in knowing who the 3rd executive producer was, etc.

railroad82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Works for me.

Try using an iPod with some good earphones. It puts me in the zone and makes feel like I'm just practicing. Might work for you.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try using an iPod with some good earphones. It puts me in the zone and makes feel like I'm just practicing. Might work for you.

I think an iPod may be the answer. I find it strange that a part of me does not want to use an iPod. I have all the usual rationalizations, part of which may be that I have not used one in the past and “feel” like I should be able to get along without it.

When I think about it some more, I “know” that an iPod would block out all distractions and some part of me does not want to do that. So in a sense, a part of me wants to be aware (if not vigilant) while playing. I wonder why???

Logically that does not make sense if my intent is to play as well as possible; I should use the tools that help. There is an interesting internal conflict going on here and that is the place to begin separating out the real needs from preferences. So now I will have to experiment and see if I can tolerate ear plugs, iPod, or find some way to be less vigilant.

It is interesting how a part of me wants to believe that “only a wimp” would need these types of tools. I love music and have it on most of the time, so maybe the answer for me is to simply recognize that it is also a way for me to enjoy the music I like (and help reduce the distractions). :eek:

That saying is wrong BTW, Old dogs can learn new tricks. It only requires a willing student.