How to keep your thoughts straight when in a high pressure game?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Well -

I had a very very good player to hate the other player. After playing you be friends, but while you are playing someone, (go to the darkside) hate with no mercy.

Strange I know, but I have seen alot of players with no "killer" instinct.

Ken

That be me.

I have a bud who brings out the killer in me, but he's a dick most times so I avoid being around him too much. When he's on our team, I win more but don't enjoy it as much.

I attempt to be a killer, but then I get all caught up in the moment and start having fun instead of killing, if you know what I mean....Fancher's pleasure of small motions thingy.

I don't want to hate anyone, but I'd sure like to have more of a killer mentality when (or maybe the secret is BEFORE) the going gets tough. Anyone have a better emotion to foster, besides hate?

Jeff Livingston

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Well for me its just knowing that I shoot srtaight,If its a high pressure game I make sure I line up straight and remember that I cant execute the shots unless I stroke it smooth,if its just 1 ball I will shorten up my stroke and cinch it,but most situations dont justify being nervous,if you dog it so what I have seen the best in the world do the same,if you act relaxed all the time even if you are faking, it becomes easier Good Luck

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I run into some of these same issues myself. I have a problem "closing", getting those last two or three balls run out cleanly. I'll play a pretty good (by my standards) opening and middle game, get myself set up to run out the last few, and for some reason not be able to get'er done. You would think with less clutter on the table, there would be less chance of anything interfering with the run-out process. Somehow, that eludes me, at least the ability to do so on a consistent basis.

It has to be a mental hang-up. I'm trying to stay within myself, plot out where I'd like to be after each shot to facilitate the run-out, and then focusing only on the current shot. It has been a bit better lately, but boy do I struggle with it. I don't know if it's a lack of that killer-instinct, or a fear of failing, or some mix of both.

It seems we are our own worst opponents, doesn't it?

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's easier to make better decisions if you step back from the table. How many times have you sat watching your opponent trying to decide on which choice they should make and you see it clearly from your seat? Step away and take some deep breathes to help you relax. You'll start making better decisions and executing better shots.

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chase, something that I do (definitely not 100% of the time) is make a decision and stick with it. Even if it seems like the wrong decision to everyone in the room. If it feels right in your mind, do it. Commit 100% to that decision, right or wrong. Try to not shoot until you are sure of what you are doing.

The only other thing is to go with your first instinct. A lot of the time someone will be trying to make a decision to play safe or go for it. Their first instinct may have been to go for it but then they started thinking about it. If you can't decide, go with your gut and again commit 100%.

We have all seen the ugly outcome of being 50/50 on a shot. You get just that result, 50/50 which usually turns into a sell out.

Anyway, that is just the way that I try to think. Keep working on it and you'll get there. You have talent and I know from meeting you that you have the ability to learn.

Sarah

wow, a compliment on the highest order... thanks sarah. I'll make a point to work on this because I think you are spot on. I think that most of my mistakes were a result of not being fully committed. Most of the mistakes came after taking my time but concluding that I probably didn't have the perfect right answer, so I wasn't 100% committed because I doubted myself. Even if I have doubt, I have to decide I'm right and get stubborn. I've been able to do that with other things in my life, the source of my girlfriend's endless frustration with me haha.

cannon9313

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what i understand your felling like you rushed to the wrong decision. You may be playing great hitting the balls well, with a good rhythm. What i do if i end up second guessing myself after a well played game. I will walk around the table each and every shot, to make sure i don't overlook any better choice's for outs. If your hitting them well this could help you feel like your making the right choice for yourself. And could keep you from overlooking something easy. :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This isn't really about mechanics breaking down because of pressure and dogging relatively simple shots, it's more about continuing to make the right DECISIONS down the stretch and continue to think straight. What are some techniques and thoughts that you've implemented to keep your head on straight so that you make the right selection at the right time?

I've been good, lately, about not missing shots.. but the dog in my game has been making a poor decision at a key time in a game.. the wrong safety shot or choosing the wrong spin for a key position shot. And let me be clear, these aren't instances where I have a lack of knowledge... I can immediately know afterwards what my decision should have been and would in lower pressure situations generally make the right choice.. just in big games at key times I will convince myself of doing the wrong thing by either over or under thinking the shot.

Thoughts?

I've read "The Inner Game of Tennis"... anyone else have any good sports psychology youtube videos or books to read. I consider myself a smart guy and typically have an advantage in brain power if it turns into a real chess match... my brain just seems to go haywire for no apparent reason even if I believe myself to be relatively calm given the pressure level. I take my time, I walk around the table, I take deep breaths and visualize myself making the shot and my mechanics don't typically break down... it's the one poor choice that kills me.

This happened to me today at BCA state... I played teams and lost my last 4 games of 8-ball. I absolutely dominated the first game and played very well, and in the next 4 games I played at an equal level and dominated those games except for 4 really poor individual decisions that cost me each game.

This is as much a vent as it the hope of beginning a good conversation on the issue. A good local player gave me a good perspective when he said that Deuel told him that if he gets upset about getting out of position, he thinks to himself, "If my opponent missed and left me this shot, would I like it?" And the answer is usually yes, which means you should be happy and excited to tackle the next ball rather than pissed that you aren't in the exact position you wanted to be in.

p.s. Earl is here in Texas, and he didn't bring his beekeeper's outfit :(:wink:

Damn good thread Chase! I think we've all had those moments where our minds go blank and we feel almost brain dead. At that moment the table looks like a mish-mash scramble of balls, with no clue how to run the balls from there. Pressure, nerves or just the gravity of the situation can do it to you. Why it happens I have no idea, but don't feel alone. We've all been there, if we are honest about it. I've seen very good players fall victim to poor shot selection and equally poor execution. For a moment (or longer) they look weak as a kitten.

This is one time where I don't have a ready answer. I wish I did. I think that some of the suggestions made on here are good ones. The answer is whatever works for you. I have found that for me, if I'm feeling lost, I need to relax my mind. That can mean a glass of wine, a quick hit on a joint (yes I said it!), or a cold beer. Something to change my state of mind.

Ultimately, I think you must go back to the basics, reminding yourself to stay still on the shot and trust your stroke. At moments like this, it is sometimes hard for us to shoot the correct shot. Especially when we are not trusting ourselves at that moment. If the right shot means slow rolling a ball and leaving the cue ball unprotected if you miss, then so be it. Like Sarah said, make up your mind what the correct shot (for you) is and go for it 100%!

Making myself shoot the right shot, even when I'm feeling kind of funky, is the only way I've ever seen to get back in stroke and regain my confidence. Once you make a couple, you began to snap out of the funk. Sorry Chase, I don't have a better answer for you.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
not killer, goal oriented

That be me.

I have a bud who brings out the killer in me, but he's a dick most times so I avoid being around him too much. When he's on our team, I win more but don't enjoy it as much.

I attempt to be a killer, but then I get all caught up in the moment and start having fun instead of killing, if you know what I mean....Fancher's pleasure of small motions thingy.

I don't want to hate anyone, but I'd sure like to have more of a killer mentality when (or maybe the secret is BEFORE) the going gets tough. Anyone have a better emotion to foster, besides hate?

Jeff Livingston

Jeff,

Very rarely am I trying to beat a particular person in competition even if the competition is one on one matches. I am focused on the goal, winning the entire ball of wax, and anyone that gets between me and that goal is just an obstacle to get out of the way. Good friends have told me after a match that I never even gave them a chance. It was true, I didn't. The goal was to move through the obstacle as quickly as possible with as little risk to myself as possible. If I was playing a jackass I might give myself an atta-boy afterwards, that was a fun guy to trample over. If it was a nice guy, "Sorry about that chief, but I'll do it again next time if I get a chance to!"

While a part of me accepts that I had a good day when I finish well against tough competition another part of me demands winning, there is no second place. With that mindset anybody and anything between me and first place is only an obstacle to get out of my way. I don't like anybody in the other chair, I don't hate anybody in the other chair, they are just a rock in the middle of my road.

Hu

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn good thread Chase! I think we've all had those moments where our minds go blank and we feel almost brain dead. At that moment the table looks like a mish-mash scramble of balls, with no clue how to run the balls from there. Pressure, nerves or just the gravity of the situation can do it to you. Why it happens I have no idea, but don't feel alone. We've all been there, if we are honest about it. I've seen very good players fall victim to poor shot selection and equally poor execution. For a moment (or longer) they look weak as a kitten.

This is one time where I don't have a ready answer. I wish I did. I think that some of the suggestions made on here are good ones. The answer is whatever works for you. I have found that for me, if I'm feeling lost, I need to relax my mind. That can mean a glass of wine, a quick hit on a joint (yes I said it!), or a cold beer. Something to change my state of mind.

Ultimately, I think you must go back to the basics, reminding yourself to stay still on the shot and trust your stroke. At moments like this, it is sometimes hard for us to shoot the correct shot. Especially when we are not trusting ourselves at that moment. If the right shot means slow rolling a ball and leaving the cue ball unprotected if you miss, then so be it. Like Sarah said, make up your mind what the correct shot (for you) is and go for it 100%!

Making myself shoot the right shot, even when I'm feeling kind of funky, is the only way I've ever seen to get back in stroke and regain my confidence. Once you make a couple, you began to snap out of the funk. Sorry Chase, I don't have a better answer for you.

thanks alot Jay for the input.. It seems like you are right, there is no "right" answer. There is no secret to this, this is what is hard about the game. I wish smokin' a J helped my game, cuz I'd be the best player on the planet if it did! All that does is make me hungry and helps me play video games.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Jeff,

Very rarely am I trying to beat a particular person in competition even if the competition is one on one matches. I am focused on the goal, winning the entire ball of wax, and anyone that gets between me and that goal is just an obstacle to get out of the way. Good friends have told me after a match that I never even gave them a chance. It was true, I didn't. The goal was to move through the obstacle as quickly as possible with as little risk to myself as possible. If I was playing a jackass I might give myself an atta-boy afterwards, that was a fun guy to trample over. If it was a nice guy, "Sorry about that chief, but I'll do it again next time if I get a chance to!"

While a part of me accepts that I had a good day when I finish well against tough competition another part of me demands winning, there is no second place. With that mindset anybody and anything between me and first place is only an obstacle to get out of my way. I don't like anybody in the other chair, I don't hate anybody in the other chair, they are just a rock in the middle of my road.

Hu

Yes, that helps a lot. That might keep my mind from wandering at those critical moments and keep me focused enough to not make mental mistakes or just get plain ol' lazy.

I'll try that attitude and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Jeff,

Hu

I like this a lot, Hu - thank you for your comments!