How to Make Your Lizard Sticky

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
I've seen several threads asking how to make a slick lizard wrap sticky. I recently picked up a great-playing cue that has a lizard wrap so slick that it's like shooting with an icicle. I use a very light grip and the wrap was so slick that I couldn't use the cue at all. I'll probably get the wrap changed one of these days, but until then, here's what I did, and here's how you can get some grip.

First, have a Scottish rock band spend the night at your house. Invite the drummer to play some pool. While he's looking over your cues, mention the problem with the slick lizard wrap. Listen carefully while he explains that some drummers have the same problem with drum sticks, and they have a solution.

Now, for the few of you who do not know any Scottish drummers with sweaty hands, I'll pass on what he told me. Get this product: Groove Juice Stick Grip.

groovejuice1.jpg

This stuff is very sticky (it's essentially model airplane glue in an aerosol can), but it will not come off on your hands when you use the cue.

Mask the cue leaving only the wrap exposed and spray a very small amount on the wrap. Seriously, use a very small amount. The instructions say to spray for 2 to 3 seconds using a back-and-forth motion. That may be fine for drum sticks, but don't do that on your cue. Just use quick on-off shots, turning the cue between shots to get a fairly even coat. You can always add more if you want to, but it's not easy to remove the stuff if you use too much. Drying time is only about a minute. If you rub the wrap vigorously with a clean paper after the juice dries, it will give a little more even application.

This has worked for me and I hope this is helpful.

-Howard

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
First, have a Scottish rock band spend the night at your house.

You big stud muffin, you!

Anyway, there has been lots of posts in the past asking the same question, BUT,

it's essentially model airplane glue in an aerosol can
and this:
but it's not easy to remove the stuff if you use too much.

This would be enuff for me at least to not want to put it on a leather or exotic wrap.

It might very well pick up black fuzz from your cue case.

Know what a fly strip looks like eh?
I have visions of flies and other little greeblies stuck to your wrap.

Lizard skin by nature is smooth and slippery. If you don't like that feel, its probably easier to not have that type of wrap on your cue.

Last edited:

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Blue Hog ridr said:
It might very well pick up black fuzz from your cue case.

Know what a fly strip looks like eh?
I have visions of flies and other little greeblies stuck to your wrap.
The substance is dry - not wet or tacky. I have had no problems with the wrap picking up case fuzz, bugs, lint, etc.. The additional grip comes from the many thousands of very small bits of the substance adding a little friction. While it feels sticky, it really isn't. If bugs and stuff stuck to the wrap, I wouldn't use it and wouldn't have made this thread.

Blue Hog ridr said:
Lizard skin by nature is smooth and slippery. If you don't like that feel, its probably easier to not have that type of wrap on your cue.
Well, you're right about that. I have other cues with lizard wraps, but they are full belly wraps, which provide a very nice grip. This is the first lizard wrap of this type that I have had, and I was surprised by the slickness.

Blue Hog ridr said:
but it's not easy to remove the stuff if you use too much.
This would be enuff for me at least to not want to put it on a leather or exotic wrap.
I expect a lot of people will feel that way, including me (most of the time).

After getting this cue (I bought it used, not from the builder), I knew that I would either have to replace the wrap or find a way to improve the grip. As other people have written about his same problem, I decided to see if I could come up with something that would help (you don't even want to know about all the things I tried). If it meant sacrificing the wrap, well...too bad for me, but I was ready to replace the wrap anyway.

This is a ten-dollar fix, if it works for you. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to do it, and I'm not going to guarantee that it's perfectly safe for every wrap out there. I'm just offering up some info as to what I have found.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I envisioned it as being sticky as you described it like airplane glue.
I was joking about the little greeblies stuck to your wrap but thought that it might pick up lint from your case.

If it makes it sticky and unnoticeable then maybe it is a good fix.

I know if I got a cue with a lizard wrap on it, I wouldn't want to change it out either.

I take it that its available at most music stores.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Why on god's good earth would you ruin a exotic wrap with this sticky crap??? Unless you have crisco instead of skin i would not recommend this!!! You want your wrap to be all sticky like glue??? Exteremly bizarre to say the least :confused:

This is what i love about this message board. People of all skill levels never cease to amaze me :lol:

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
RunoutJJ said:
Why on god's good earth would you ruin a exotic wrap with this sticky crap??? Unless you have crisco instead of skin i would not recommend this!!! You want your wrap to be all sticky like glue??? Exteremly bizarre to say the least :confused:
The wrap is not ruined. It is not affected at all. I can remove this stuff in about one minute and the wrap is exactly as before being sprayed.
I guess it was a bad idea to note that this product is made from the same stuff used to make a type of glue; that has caused some confusion. The product comes out of the can in a very fine mist that dries almost immediately. You don't have big globs of wet glue. If I thought for a second that this product would harm anyone's wrap, I certainly would not have posted this.

RunoutJJ said:
This is what i love about this message board. People of all skill levels never cease to amaze me :lol:
All I can say to this is WTF?

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Have you tried it on a linen wrap ?
No, I haven't had any need to do that. I do have (somewhere) an old cue that has a pretty slick linen wrap on it. I'll find it and try the spray on it, then I'll let you know how it works.