How to mess up a break/jump cue

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the weekend I was at a tournament with a tip/shaft guy there with a lathe. I was wanting to change my plastic break tip for a while to get more grip and control into the cueball off the break so asked to have a hard leather tip put on it, figuring how much of a change can it be. Specifically it ended up being a G2 Hard.

A lot. It's a lot of change.

Breaking was not so bad of a difference but the jumping ability pretty much went away. I do have to say the tip felt very soft to me, so maybe the wrong hardness was used, but I don't recommend putting on even a hard leather tip on a cue used for jumping. Find something made for a breaker or a jump tip, just not a normal tip. I've had a pressed leather tip put on another cue which worked well, and should have gone to that instead of just an off-the shelf hard playing tip.

The good part was that tip was put on with very good skill and I got the shaft cleaned up of a few dings at the same time, so not at all the fault of the installer, it just ended up being a bad idea for a jumper using a standard tip.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Over the weekend I was at a tournament with a tip/shaft guy there with a lathe. I was wanting to change my plastic break tip for a while to get more grip and control into the cueball off the break so asked to have a hard leather tip put on it, figuring how much of a change can it be. Specifically it ended up being a G2 Hard.

A lot. It's a lot of change.

Breaking was not so bad of a difference but the jumping ability pretty much went away. I do have to say the tip felt very soft to me, so maybe the wrong hardness was used, but I don't recommend putting on even a hard leather tip on a cue used for jumping. Find something made for a breaker or a jump tip, just not a normal tip. I've had a pressed leather tip put on another cue which worked well, and should have gone to that instead of just an off-the shelf hard playing tip.

The good part was that tip was put on with very good skill and I got the shaft cleaned up of a few dings at the same time, so not at all the fault of the installer, it just ended up being a bad idea for a jumper using a standard tip.
That's why I have a break cue and a separate jump cue.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Individual cues definitely helps.
White diamond or samsara are tips I have used on a combo with some success.

Last edited:

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Samsara.....Hard, holds chalk, can rough up if needed.....Break's like a Phenolic and jumps like one also..No miscuing.....Love the Samsara on my Break/Jump cues..

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been thinking about this myself for a long time. Always considered Samsara to be the one I would try. Thank you to all who posted.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samsara is the tip you are looking for. Breaks hard with control, yet still jumps.
Yep, I had a Samsara break tip installed on my $800 Mezz CF break cue as soon as I got it. Far superior to the Sonic tip that came on it.

Having the wrong tip installed on your break cue shaft certainly does not qualify as messing it up. It’s an experiment / trial that didn’t work out for you, which we’ve all done on our playing shafts and break shafts. It can be easily rectified by getting another tip installed.

Last edited:

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any hard playing tip isn’t going to jump well unless that shaft is super stiff and it won’t ever jump like a hard tip. If you would’ve chosen a Samsara, Gator tip ( Andy Gilbert) or an Odega, you would’ve been more than happy.

jshaw

Registered
Yep, I had a Samsara break tip installed on my $800 Mezz CF break cue as soon as I got it. Far superior to the Sonic tip that came on it.

Having the wrong tip installed on your break cue shaft certainly does not qualify as messing it up. It’s an experiment / trial that didn’t work out for you, which we’ve all done on our playing shafts and break shafts. It can be easily rectified by getting another tip installed.
I did the same with my Mezz Power Break Kai. Breaks well and I can jump with a full cue.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did the same with my Mezz Power Break Kai. Breaks well and I can jump with a full cue.
As a high a quality a company as Mezz is, I have no clue why they are in love with these sonic tips that come standard with all Mezz break cues. I just don’t get it.