How to not get robbed at SBE (figuratively)

c_bruner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just talked to a buddy of mine, said he lost his first match, went to challenge table and ended up matchingg up with a dude who lost 2$500 sets and wants to play more...and my bud is no champ.

is your buddy, the guy who locked horns with Kenny brisbon and Jeremy sossei some $500 sets???? there wasn't MANY big sets this year, as in years past

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
To the OP. How did you do?

Tough to find a match, I chickened out of really trying in the main room and just lurked and watched. Played a few sets with my friend, left $1.00 up...

I received a few message on here, but never checked until I was back home.

b

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
winning at gambling has little to do with what's been mentioned thus far

its all abut the odds/handicap

Usain Bolt isn't beating anybody here in a race to 100m giving up a 90m lead

use the fargo rate odds calculator and then see out an even bigger advantage

you'll find enough degenerates at places like sbe to take some money

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a bit embarrassed to even ask this question, but here goes...

I play a lot, but I don't really gamble much - not a lack of desire, more a lack of opportunity. I'd like to play some sets at SBE Friday night for a moderate amount of money (races to 7 for $50) stuff like that.

What I'm concerned about however is that I have no way of not just getting run over, because I know none of these players or their speed and have zero experience in making games.

I'm not a great player, an APA 6 - any tips on how to find people to make a fair game with and not get hustled out of my cash unfairly?

Thanks,

b

PS - "Tough shit, lose your money like everyone else did until they learned how to not get robbed" is an acceptable answer ;)

Might consider $5 or $10 per rack with a specific rack minimum.
I.E. $10 a rack with a 5 rack minimum...either can stop anytime after the 5 racks, keep going, or start another minimum amount of racks. From what I noticed, $5 to $10 is pretty common on the pay as you play tables.

Like someone else said, as a APA 6 you will most likely be an underdog going in but even then for the same $70 you mentioning, you just need to pull off 3 out of 10...
It's cheap so not everyone will accept those terms but someone else concerned about getting run over sure will.

Obviously, this isn't the movies and you aren't playing with your rent money to force yourself to play better. If you go in with the mindset that gambling money is gone; it's fun getting some back and even better making some extra.

Many have gambling limits/goals.
Back in the day I would pick out a nice cue, aftermarket vehicle add-on, or something else I wanted (but didn't need) with extra money. I would gamble with that amount of money, then I would buy it if I won or broke even. Otherwise, I would do without the unnecessary item if I lost and try again next time.
Know your limit...