How to Play One Pocket – with the Semi-Official Rules

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After that last, something funny just crossed me brain.

I was reading something else, somewhat obscure, and it was mentioned that one of the characters knew Bobby Fischer, the American chess genius. And he asked Bobby why he liked chess so much and he answered, something like: I like to see them squirm.

That's when you know something about 1pocket.

Lou Figueroa

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the video is a nice straight forward short intro to the game, and I can see from watching it that indeed you are well aware of onepocket.org.

Yes, i do have to admit to a little disappointed with the failure to credit the onepocket.org rules — especially given that you illustrated some things that had never been articulated in any published form until our 2004 rules were published. These days, many of the details of our 2004 rules are simply taken for granted — like in your video :D:)

That said, I am all in favor of introducing new players to One Pocket, and providing new students of the game good basics to build on, and I wish to thank you for that! While I am at it, I have your entire VEOP and you and Bob did a real nice job with that!

Kudos to both of you and thank you for contributing to the game of One Pocket!!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see 1 hole with ball in hand or minus 5 for intentionals. Also play to the last ball with the score being total balls for the set. That way there's always a pressing objective or set of objectives.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
The only aspect of the game that millennials can’t grasp is you have to engage your brain. Seems to be a hurdle for them since you have to set Facebook, TikTok, X and the rest of social media aside. If I appear cynical about it, I am.
I just want to let you know that this sounds very ignorant. Who do you think millennials are? Currently they are 28-43 years old. You really don't think someone in their 30s or 40s does not have the mental capacity to play 1P? Most grew up without electronics, no cell phone, no Ipad. We had chess clubs in school for crying out loud. Find another scapegoat my man because this one makes you sound ignorant. There's a whole lot more of your generation addicted to social media, we grew up on dial up and are generally smart enough not to fall for the scams they prey on our parents with. Geesh man, not trying to be a jerk but this "millennial" thing has been played out. Our childhood was more similar to yours than you imagine. We went out on our own and came home when the streetlights came on. We memorized phone numbers. We snuck cigarettes. We went camping, we played in creeks. We can read an analog clock. We can write cursive. We said the pledge of allegiance in school. Get off your high horse before you fall and break a hip. ;) 😆

Seriously though a "millennial" isn't what the main stream media has conditioned you to understand. They are exciting the "you damn kids get off my lawn" part of your brain and you bought it.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
1P.JPG

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How dare you.

He is the science, sir.

I'm all for the science.

But pool is as much art as it is science. Plenty of guys couldn't spell science if you spotted them the first four letters but they still play lights out.

Lou Figueroa
shameless plug follows

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpeg
    IMG_0151.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 21

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm all for the science.

But pool is as much art as it is science. Plenty of guys couldn't spell science if you spotted them the first four letters but they still play lights out.

Lou Figueroa
shameless plug follows
Thank you Lou -- you continue to surprise me!

PS
I have never seen Dave play any game (except on his instructional/science videos), but I have seen Bob Jewett play, and he plays real good for a scientist -- or non-scientist for that matter!!!

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant' see One Pocket players being too keen on some outside "officials" deciding that their game needs to be played some different way because either the BCA or WPA (neither of which has shown much interest or respect in the game) decides it should be.

Imagine the fury that would ensue if Emily and the Matchroom folks started trying to change it in their own way. We’d end up with something like 3-ball short-rack one pocket race to 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Lou -- you continue to surprise me!

PS
I have never seen Dave play any game (except on his instructional/science videos), but I have seen Bob Jewett play, and he plays real good for a scientist -- or non-scientist for that matter!!!

I really don't know why there should be any surprises -- I speak my mind, try to adhere to the truth, and be accurate in what I say.

I have told you (more than once) you often misread my intent or attribute an inaccurate meaning to my words. That's it, no surprise.

Lou Figueroa