How to practice not missing?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the reply, fran
what you said prompted several thoughts in me

and I wonder
1. if practicing helps us get better, wouldn't practicing stroking the cue be a good thing? even just to practice the feeling, even off the table?
2. and if priming/feathering is a good idea for that reason, couldn't it be doubly-encouraging, to integrate that into our PSR/thought/"unthought" process?
Air stroking in a standing position like that is a totally different feel from stroking in your stance at the table. It's just a movement that some players make out of habit because a cue is in their hand. It doesn't prepare you for anything. Some players air stroke without even realizing that they're doing it. They're usually thinking about something while they're doing it.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Air stroking in a standing position like that is a totally different feel from stroking in your stance at the table. It's just a movement that some players make out of habit because a cue is in their hand. It doesn't prepare you for anything. Some players air stroke without even realizing that they're doing it. They're usually thinking about something while they're doing it.
That describes what I do, and what I believe Earl does in that video (and what I think is usually the case) - unconscious habit, not like focused "practice" or "feathering" strokes while down on the shot.

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That describes what I do, and what I believe Earl does in that video (and what I think is usually the case) - unconscious habit, not like focused "practice" or "feathering" strokes while down on the shot.

pj
chgo
But not what I do. There's a big difference between loosening up your arm before shooting and getting right over the shot and rehearsing it.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
They're usually thinking about something while they're doing it.
Like visualizing the shot? It doesn't directly relate to what happens on the table. Some may do it, some may not do it. I have found it is a good thing for me to do so I can focus on visualizing the shot and preventing mental self sabotage. It also limbers up my arm and can help find the balance point. I'm not an instructor and not a pro, but I know how to shut my own head up. I'm not saying this is a magic pill, but it works for me. Same as re-chalking, it resets your brain and lets you clear bad thoughts, and focus and visualize on the shot at hand. I'm not saying anyone has to do it or even that it's beneficial, I'm saying it's a tool that works for me.

If I keep my body busy my brain is quiet. When I'm playing my best, I shoot faster. Fast enough that I have to purposly make time to chalk. The table problems are solved, I know the out, so I just do it. No need for analysis when the problems are solved and the cue ball obeys. Stroke after stroke sings. It's probably bad to do so, but for me fast is good. Will I ever be a pro? Nope. Do I beat many more players if I'm playing at a fast pace? Yep. Do I make more mistakes when analyzing the heck out of everything and playing at a snail pace? Yep. Little hacks to keep from self sabotage cannot be ignored at the level I am currently at. If my head was different or perhaps if I trained hard enough at it everything in this paragraph would be made invalid. Maybe someday but for now, little tricks work. Some people use a few beers to do this, I stroke the air.

Anyway, regardless of if "air stroking" does anything to physically prepare for the shot, it's a tool that many pool players use. I don't really have anything else to say on the matter. Do it or don't, it's a personal game for each of us, we have different mental and physical makeups and some things work for some and not for others. :)

EDIT:
You mean like Bustamante?
He does a pump handle at times. I'm sure not qualified to tell him it's wrong. ;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen some carom players do the "air stoke" thing with a few fairly vigorous strokes while standing up when they faced a high-speed shot after a series of little tippy-tap shots. I suppose it is to remind their arm what power feels like.

Reactions: bbb

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a big difference between loosening up your arm before shooting and getting right over the shot and rehearsing it.
Anyway, regardless of if "air stroking" does anything to physically prepare for the shot, it's a tool that many pool players use. I don't really have anything else to say on the matter. Do it or don't, it's a personal game for each of us, we have different mental and physical makeups and some things work for some and not for others. :)

cheers for the convo
agree that air-stroking might not make a player better per se
but I do think it's worth more than just something that players do
beyond feeling and getting to know the cue before shooting (which I think is also worthwhile)
my guess is that if it's part of some player's psr, it's likely useful enough in that way
many golfers, baseball players, basketball players, and tennis players might agree
it does seem difficult to quantify, something that players might not even be cognizant of
another fascinating thing about a game so steeped in science

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen some carom players do the "air stoke" thing with a few fairly vigorous strokes while standing up when they faced a high-speed shot after a series of little tippy-tap shots. I suppose it is to remind their arm what power feels like.
Which they can do as practice strokes when they're down over the shot, which will give them a better feel than air stroking. Air stroking like that is just them making up their mind to shoot a power shot. They're not practicing anything.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
A moving cue, stroking that is, is easier to move into the aiming plane than is a static cue.

Or so it seems sometimes.

Jeff livingston

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone use other activities (not necessarily pool) to help build longer and longer periods of concentration?

I've started using a non-pool related method that has improved my focus and concentration. I got the idea to try it after reading "Bounce", by Matthew Syed, while sitting in a very noisy airport waiting on my flight.

I was so engrossed in the book that I was able to tune everything else out. We've all probably been able to that on occassion, become so consumed by something (like a movie or tv show or book or conversation) that we lose ourselves in it and tune out everything else around us. But it doesn't happen all the time. The reason it doesn't happen all the time is because we aren't in the habit of making it happen all the time.

So now, when I read, I purposely turn the tv on, or I turn on some music, or I go to a place where there's constant noise and distraction, like the mall or coffee shop.

My intention was to create the habit of being able to control my focus and concentration at will, despite outside influences/distractions, to be able to completely lose myself in one task anytime I wanted to do so. And it works.

If you're not a reader, try it with music. Turn the tv on and set the volume to a normal listening level. Then put some music on and just listen. It takes practice, because a good amount of directed focus and concentration is required, but you can tune out that tv noise and make it so all you hear is the music. This is harder for me than tuning out background noise while reading, but it still works. And it carries over into other aspects of your life where 100% focus is important.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cheers for the convo
agree that air-stroking might not make a player better per se
but I do think it's worth more than just something that players do
beyond feeling and getting to know the cue before shooting (which I think is also worthwhile)
my guess is that if it's part of some player's psr, it's likely useful enough in that way
many golfers, baseball players, basketball players, and tennis players might agree
it does seem difficult to quantify, something that players might not even be cognizant of
another fascinating thing about a game so steeped in science
I got the lick from golfers testing puts off to the side of the ball. I tried doing that every time I was jacked up and lo and behold, no more masse'd misses. That in conjunction with cue ball last did the trick. Some time later it occurred to me it might work on any shot and big surprise, it works like a charm. Trouble with practice strokes in position is if you're not exactly in position, your arm tends to adjust. Players tend to get away with this if they are on dead patterns at pocket speed. Often something comes up that requires a bit more oomph and now your talented stroke is unable to fake its way through the shot. Air PRACTICING the shot shows you the error instantly, allowing you to come down in a position that's coherent all around - shot, stance, stroke.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
BC21, that's a good idea, but not sure if it works long-term.

I have the tv on and my, now dead, dog would bother me, the cats, music, the computer, the phone, the neighbor's blower, etc. I did it for the reason you do it. If I had the perfect practice environment, I'd be crushed at bars and pool halls with all the distractions.

But it quit working for me a while back. Maybe a riot outside would do it?

Jeff Livingston

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
BC21, that's a good idea, but not sure if it works long-term.

I have the tv on and my, now dead, dog would bother me, the cats, music, the computer, the phone, the neighbor's blower, etc. I did it for the reason you do it. If I had the perfect practice environment, I'd be crushed at bars and pool halls with all the distractions.

But it quit working for me a while back. Maybe a riot outside would do it?

Jeff Livingston

It's a funny thing. I was playing a tournament last Saturday and there was a kid, maybe 6yrs old, running around one of the non-tournament tables. He was rolling and banging the balls all over the place. I thought, it'd be a great idea to pay that kid to come over to the house and do that while I was practicing. Lol.

Fact is, even if you develop a good habit of focus and concentration, your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing must be functioning in a healthy manner to be able to effectively utilize that habit. I was tired and hungry, and I just didn't have the energy to get that kid out of my head.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It's a funny thing. I was playing a tournament last Saturday and there was a kid, maybe 6yrs old, running around one of the non-tournament tables. He was rolling and banging the balls all over the place. I thought, it'd be a great idea to pay that kid to come over to the house and do that while I was practicing. Lol.

Fact is, even if you develop a good habit of focus and concentration, your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing must be functioning in a healthy manner to be able to effectively utilize that habit. I was tired and hungry, and I just didn't have the energy to get that kid out of my head.

In today's vernacular, we're exercising our immune systems against future distractions.

Jeff Livingston

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's an example of a match between an air-stroker and an opponent who has a minimum of extraneous motion. For those who haven't seen one-cushion before, you may pick up some new techniques....

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He doesn't stroke the shot - just the air off to his left. That has no functionality except maybe firewalling your stroke from unclean thoughts.