How Would You Play This? Safety Time

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting the CB from beside the 8, I'd push the 1B uptable and roll the CB up behind the 5-7. It is a very straight (almost full ball) hit and easy to control. If you can nestle the CB into the 5-7 then it's a very hard escape too.

Dave

Simple shot and it's gonna get most people on 3rd foul. Keep 1 ball away from the rail and near 3 and it gets even more difficult to hit.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Push the one to the side rail so it between the rail and 8 ball while freezing the cue ball to the 8.

Can't thus be hit with 2 rail kick out of the corner by the 4?

You want distance and obstructing balls to make the hit much tougher. Shot I described above you are shooting down table, over balls and trying to hit 1 that's under the 3 ball. Would be very unlikely hit.

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole idea of three fouling is to not have to break up balls. Your plan leads to failure.

While this is the shot most people will choose to shoot, the two and three rail kicks are still open.

The correct safety is to shoot the 1 ball just to the right of that bottom side pocket banking it out to two diamonds from the 5-7 while locking the cue ball to the 5-7. This eliminates all one rail kicks by default. Due to the position of the 9-6 that two rail kick is eliminated. Due to the position of the 4 that two rail is also gone. So the only options are a three or four rail kick. Since the 1 ball is so far from the third rail it'll be better to go four rails to attempt a hit. At that point most people will not be accurate enough off a four rail with the speed required to make a legal contact. Let alone the 3 ball might be in the way on the four rail.

Guys keep in mind your opponent is on two fouls and you are going for a three foul. Both suggestions are wrong and don't win you the game on that shot.

In a match I would play the one off the six (break the out) and run out.

If I was playing safe, I think the best safety is to shoot the one directly into the six and freezing the cue ball on the eight. This takes away everything except a VERY difficult three rail kick that would have to be perfect to not hit the nine or other blocking balls.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I had a similar situation come up in APA the other night.
I had a brain fart and told my opponent, "You're on two", and he said, "So what?"

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what about the 2 rail kick from by the 4 ball, isn't that still a possible hit?

If you can generate the necessary speed and spin to go 2 rails while keeping the cue-ball on the table, mazel tov. As well, it's probably 3 rails, assuming you get the 1-ball off the rail and hidden behind the 8.

jchance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another option would be to make the 1 in the corner off the side of the 9, which would also free up the 6 and 9 to attempt a runout

No one else like my shot? If you can control the 6 and 9 after that shot you would be in a good position to run out.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one else like my shot? If you can control the 6 and 9 after that shot you would be in a good position to run out.

If I were the shooter and my opponent was on one foul, I'd consider the run-out. I'm not fond of caroming off balls but with BIH and a straight shot at the carom, it's worthy of consideration. You're right; after the carom, the table is wide open. With my opponent on two fouls and a couple of very solid safeties available, if it's strictly about the W, I'm safing.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Shoot 1 ball two-three rails behind(ish) 5,7. Stick cueball between 5,7. Buy popcorn.

Shooting it this way eliminates the 1 rail, makes the 2 rail near impossible and only leaves the 3,4 rail shots.

OR (Much harder)

Thin the 1 into the 8 and go 1 rail to get under the 9,6. This makes for an extremely difficult kick and if the cueball is frozen may require and an act of god to make a legal hit. 4 ball restricts kicking and the 8 ball adds extra difficulty because its right next to the 1.

OR (Efren speed)

Option # 1 variation. Stun follow the cueball into the 5,7 and play 1 ball into the back of 5,7. Probably the hardest possible situation to get out of with this layout.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another option, but admittedly one that might be difficult for a C+ player to execute, is to hit the one into the 9 and leave the cb behind the 8. The goal here is not to make the 1 off the 9, but to just separate the 9 from the 6. So, you want to hit the pocket side of the 9 and leave the 9 blocking any two rail hit on the 1. That way, the table is more open for the runnout if they get ball in hand somehow and don't get the third foul for the win.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roll the 1 into the rail right next to the 9/6.hide the cue ball against the 8. It serves two purposes. They can jump and the kick is tough, especially if you get to the right of the 8...they would have to go 3 or 4 cushions to escape. The main purpose though is to get the 1 close to the cluster so that even if they make the kick they break your cluster out and create an open table.

Depending on the opponents skill level, and shooters for that matter a simple distance safety banking the 1 up table and using the 5/7 as blockers might be enough to get the third foul. If I'm playing a weak opponent I would just try leave distance and a kick or jump. If they're slightly better then I take away the jump and get close to the 5/7 with the cue ball.

I do enjoy threads like these.you learn so many outside the box ways.

Pokerdave

Registered
I considered this at first, but I feel with ball in hand that this is the most opportune time to get the 6 away from the 9. I love these threads, it allows me to look at shots in a different perspective and it allows me to pick the brains of better players.

*Now that I see that they are on two fouls, I would do this all day long.
You shouldnt care about the 6 ball if your opponent is on two fouls. Rolling up on the 5-7 is the right shot

paplayer

Registered
like this...

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 96

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, this situation came up yesterday in a league match that allows coaching. My teammate had ball-in-hand and her opponent was on two fouls. Feel free to post your approach to safeing here along with an explanation on why. I'm sure the better players will see it immediately but there's definitely a lesson to learn from this. I'll tell you what I coached her to do later today.

View attachment 404061

I would thin the one ball (behind the 8) and play an angle to end up barely behind the nine with the cue ball. You would leave a tough kick since the four ball and eight ball would be in the way kicking at the one ball.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'd run out!

Shooting the CB from beside the 8, I'd push the 1B uptable and roll the CB up behind the 5-7. It is a very straight (almost full ball) hit and easy to control. If you can nestle the CB into the 5-7 then it's a very hard escape too.

Dave

This was not APA. We're playing standard 9-ball and my player is a C+.

I usually start posting on these types of threads with enthusiasm....
....but what held me back is Jude informing us that the shooter is a C+ player.
....and the ability of the opponent is also a factor in your choices.

Sooo....in terms of what a good player should do, I agree with Hawiian Eye...one-ball
off the 9-ball and run out...remember, if you run into problems because of the 9-ball
rearranging the furniture, you STILL have the three foul option.

I don't have much experience coaching at a league level....but I have seen C players
not even get a rail with Jude's option...even though it's a hanger for a 'player'...

So, as a coach, I'm going with Dave K's option...'cause the C player can be a foot short,
weight-wise, and still have the snooker.....if the opponent kicks like Efren, she's not going
to win anyway...no way, no how.