Huge money at Pool event in Birmingham.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Anyone knows of the Handicap pool tournament about 3-4 months ago in Birmingham, AL. where a woman 4 handicap won over $100K?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone knows of the Handicap pool tournament about 3-4 months ago in Birmingham, AL. where a woman 4 handicap won over $100K?
More than likely it was at iron city billiards. IIRC, there was a big tourney in mississippi that, for whatever reason, couldn't hold the calcutta, so they moved it to Iron City.

Anyway, a buddy of mine played in it and said the money was just insane. You could probably check their older face book posts to find out details, but I'm pretty sure, Roberto Gomez, De Luna, Edgie Geronimo, Hennessy were there...if it is the same tourney we are talking about.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
The lady that won it was no SL 4 I promise you that. If I am remembering correctly it was Liz Lovely who won and she is currently a 623 Fargo and has won a few of the CSI ladies events. At one time her Fargo was up over 650.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
The lady that won it was no SL 4 I promise you that. If I am remembering correctly it was Liz Lovely who won and she is currently a 623 Fargo and has won a few of the CSI ladies events. At one time her Fargo was up over 650.
Why does this seem to be a big 'secret' in the pool community? A woman winning over 100K in mixed handicap event is NEWS!

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Why does this seem to be a big 'secret' in the pool community? A woman winning over 100K in mixed handicap event is NEWS!
I don't think it is a secret, the event winners were announced after the event and people just moved on not making a big deal about it. Just like we do everyday!

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I don't think it is a secret, the event winners were announced after the event and people just moved on not making a big deal about it. Just like we do everyday!
Yeh, right, Everday a Woman wins over a $100K in a single event! LOL!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Plus there's action down south that's massive and you never hear about it.
I tend to hear about that action..I think Buffalo set a record last year…but what player has bought himself in one of those Calcuttas?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plus there's action down south that's massive and you never hear about it.

Yep, I just mentioned in another post somewhere - some guys from Bama came up to Idaho a while back (2 years) and went home $35k richer. They've got some high dollar players around that area.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to hear about that action..I think Buffalo set a record last year…but what player has bought himself in one of those Calcuttas?
The smart players buy a part of themselves from the stake holders, its common down here to give the player part of themselves and a little something one the side for making it into the Money..., Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I have friends who played in it. Every pro woman in the event got to play on the low side as a 4.
I think they use the same handicap system as the Railyard, where they had me as a 7.
No thanks.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have friends who played in it. Every pro woman in the event got to play on the low side as a 4.
I think they use the same handicap system as the Railyard, where they had me as a 7.
No thanks.

Great, I'll be in Alabama for work, and now I have this stupidity to look forward to in the tournaments? Handicapped and all the women are automatically lower because they are women?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Great, I'll be in Alabama for work, and now I have this stupidity to look forward to in the tournaments? Handicapped and all the women are automatically lower because they are women?
I heard Monica Webb was a 4 there as well. At least you won't have to give an enormous spot to the better player until the final 4 since it's a split bracket. GL

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep. Just like that World Heyball: autohandicap for women. Hooray for gender bias and binary self-identification! Women should hop on it while it’s hot. I would.