Hustling Pool with a Jewel named Zia....when the Hustler became the Hustlee

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I usually traveled on the road with expert gamblers sometimes two which was even better. Some of the best trips I made was with beautiful women and in this case Zia was my partner, she looked like Cameron Diaz' younger, prettier sister. We traveled many states and won a ton*, but Zia had a secret that I never dreamed possible, in this video I tell you how sometimes the Hustler can be the Hustlee!

click here here for the story

*Join me at www.cjwiley and learn the secrets I used to become the ESPN WORLD CHAMPION and voted one of the top gamblers of the 20th Century (by Billiards Digest). The Game is the Teacher

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
The twist was funny! Post should've read "Named" or "Zia" lol.
Btw I was listening to this one while actually on the road! Daily commute though.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I usually traveled on the road with expert gamblers sometimes two which was even better. Some of the best trips I made was with beautiful women and in this case Zia was my partner, she looked like Cameron Diaz' younger, prettier sister. We traveled many states and won a ton*, but Zia had a secret that I never dreamed possible, in this video I tell you how sometimes the Hustler can be the Hustlee!

click here here for the story

*Join me at www.cjwiley and learn the secrets I used to become the ESPN WORLD CHAMPION and voted one of the top gamblers of the 20th Century (by Billiards Digest). The Game is the Teacher
Thanks CJ. I loved that story, both the pool parts of it and the parts with "Zia." You won more money in a month than I could make in a year hustling five and ten dollar pool! Sad but true. I'm glad I saw you play when you were 17. Otherwise you might have busted me too. ;)

My wife told me her name was Nicole when I met her in the Philippines. Reason being so many American guys were over there just to take advantage of all the lovely young girls who were living in near poverty. It was only after I rented a condo for us to stay in that I found out her real name. When she saw that I was serious about her she told me the truth. Over five years together now (married for four) and it gets better every day!

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks CJ. I loved that story, both the pool parts of it and the parts with "Zia." You won more money in a month than I could make in a year hustling five and ten dollar pool! Sad but true. I'm glad I saw you play when you were 17. Otherwise you might have busted me too. ;)

My wife told me her name was Nicole when I met her in the Philippines. Reason being so many American guys were over there just to take advantage of all the lovely young girls who were living in near poverty. It was only after I rented a condo for us to stay in that I found out her real name. When she saw that I was serious about her she told me the truth. Over five years together now (married for four) and it gets better every day!
You're a lucky man, I probably should have went to the Philippines in the 90s I would be ask this morning what I wanted for breakfast in Tagalog.

When I look back we were fortunate, my partners set goals to win $1000 a day, I remember Jr Weldon and I went on a trip for a month and averaged $2000 a day.

At 20 years old that was a lot of chee$e, but I looked at money as a way to keep score, like my partner Dalton Leong (who you knew from San Francisco) used to say "always look at money as a result, never an incentive!" ....Wise man, I still abide by what he said to this day, the other advice was "preparation is all, but readiness is everything"......he proved to me wise words are timeless.

The Game is the Teacher

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
CJ, you ran around with some of the smartest men to ever make a living playing pool. So you learned from the best! I got stuck (by my own choice) with guys like Keith and Louie who, God Bless them, never knew when to quit or pull up. But we had fun though and I managed to hang onto my share of the winnings, and there were some good ones. I even partnered with Cliff and he brought home the bacon while I was in his corner. I was a better coach than a player.

You're right about one thing, my sweet Lenie does ask me every morning what I want for breakfast! :)

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

You picked a good one Jay 👍

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
CJ, you ran around with some of the smartest men to ever make a living playing pool. So you learned from the best! I got stuck (by my own choice) with guys like Keith and Louie who, God Bless them, never knew when to quit or pull up. But we had fun though and I managed to hang onto my share of the winnings, and there were some good ones. I even partnered with Cliff and he brought home the bacon while I was in his corner. I was a better coach than a player.

You're right about one thing, my sweet Lenie does ask me every morning what I want for breakfast! :)
I just told one of my favorite stories (and you'll appreciate it too) on You Tube and will post it here later tonight.

We had so much fun at those Bicycle Club tournaments, with Robert Turner and did you run the one when they had the California State Championships AND the Bicycle Pro Event back to back? I know the one at the Burbank Hilton was your tournament, and the first opportunity to play on ESPN for me after beating Bustemante 13/12 in front of a packed house.....that was amazing and a highlight of my tournament career! (we always remember the first time with fondness)

So anyway, I said in this next story that you were the tournament director at the California State Championships And the Bicycle Club Pro event and if you weren't it was an honest mistake, just like to have clarification because occasionally I make mistakes and I always seek to admit, clarify and move on asap.

Thanks Jay, I'll be on the prowl for a new "breakfast cooker" asap, as long as she can't discern between a orange and 5 Ball! lol (I miss Jimmy Reid ;) )

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep, I ran those two events back to back. We had some good ones out here back then.
Yes and many celebrities used to come watch the tournaments. One time I was going around the corner towards the card room and a "kid" ran around the corner cue case in hand.....I thought people should keep their kids under control and right then someone said it was Gary Coleman from 'Different Strokes' TV series......I did an exhibition and played several of them when John Travolta and Judie Foster hosted the pre academy awards party in several giant tents..... I was in one with a pool table and some cues worth up to $100,000, for 10 minutes a lady watched me that had huge sunglasses on and she had left before I was told it was Sandra Bullock.....they don't look the same in person, a few that look beautiful on TV and Movie screens are a bit scary in person. lol

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes and many celebrities . . . don't look the same in person, a few that look beautiful on TV and Movie screens are a bit scary in person. lol
So true, CJ -- and in my experience us frequent posters to this beloved and unique forum have the opposite syndrome:

Many of us are often a bit scary here but -- beautiful in person.

Arnaldo :giggle:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
So true, CJ -- and in my experience us frequent posters to this beloved and unique forum have the opposite syndrome:

Yes, I learned long ago that facebook, forums and groups aren't real people, they are a version of themselves they may not show in person. I'm pretty much the same, posting videos about my pool adventures verify that. I have some videos coming up that will blow some minds, but the Truth is stranger than their reverse engineered reality....and vastly different!!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member

CJ, isn't time for a Book on your ventures... like Jay, Buddy, Danny, or Grady?
That's right, I forgot about 'Rags to Rifleman' and Jay's is a classic! Haven't seen the ones on Danny and Grady. St Louie Louie has a great book written on him by a. man in St Louis, his name escaped me.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mark O'brien.
I have his book in my hand right now, you beat me to it. lol Must be a sign to read it asap, believe I will, love me some St LL he was one of the all time greatest characters! Played atomic nine ball too, I've been on both sides of it.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played atomic nine ball too,
Great word coinage -- never heard that before, CJ.

Here's a fun comment you may be able to use on the road some day. One of the newer pool players here with a wild sense of humor cracked a bunch of us up with it, over lunch. We're actually feeling sorry, even angry for him . . . biting like clueless fish on this phony story of his seeming mistreatment as he told us what had apparently had just happened to him . . .
. . . till he hit us with his crazy punch line:

"I don’t regularly complain but I 'm very unhappy with a lousy store here that I bought an item from.

After buying it I took it home. It was no good, so I took it back to get a refund. I had my sales slip, but the clerk said “No.” I asked to see her boss and the boss said “No.”

Then went to the store manager and he said “No” also. So I asked for another one just like it and again the answer was “no.”

After this, I can tell you . . . I’ll never buy another damned lottery ticket from that store."

Arnaldo ~ To me, that kind of punchline reminds so much of Grady -- who like everyone else who knew him -- I miss very much.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great word coinage -- never heard that before, CJ.

Here's a fun comment you may be able to use on the road some day. One of the newer pool players here with a wild sense of humor cracked a bunch of us up with it, over lunch. We're actually feeling sorry, even angry for him . . . biting like clueless fish on this phony story of his seeming mistreatment as he told us what had apparently had just happened to him . . .
. . . till he hit us with his crazy punch line:

"I don’t regularly complain but I 'm very unhappy with a lousy store here that I bought an item from.

After buying it I took it home. It was no good, so I took it back to get a refund. I had my sales slip, but the clerk said “No.” I asked to see her boss and the boss said “No.”

Then went to the store manager and he said “No” also. So I asked for another one just like it and again the answer was “no.”

After this, I can tell you . . . I’ll never buy another damned lottery ticket from that store."

Arnaldo ~ To me, that kind of punchline reminds so much of Grady -- who like everyone else who knew him -- I miss very much.

That reminds me of Norm MacDonalds joke about the moth who comes to visit the psychiatrist - Norm goes through this long tail of the moth's life, battles won, battles lost, on and on.....finally the puzzled shrink say's "that's all very intriguing and engaging but what is the root cause that drew you to a psychiatrist?"

Moth says "the light was on!"

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That reminds me of Norm MacDonalds joke about the moth who comes to visit the psychiatrist - Norm goes through this long tail of the moth's life, battles won, battles lost, on and on.....finally the puzzled shrink say's "that's all very intriguing and engaging but what is the root cause that drew you to a psychiatrist?"

Moth says "the light was on!"
CJ -- Here's a Texas true (and hilarious) story you'll love; I'm pretty sure you never heard about it. I shared it with my new AZB friends in 2013, a year after I joined up here. They and yet-unmet new pool playing friends got/will get a huge laugh at the sheer irony and role-reversals detailed in the article.

(I'm rooting for the brothel):
--------------------------------------------------------------

Mt. Vernon, Texas, Brothel Sues Local Church Over Lightning Strike!

The Diamond D brothel began construction on an expansion of their building to increase their ever-growing business. In response, the local Baptist Church started a campaign to block the business from expanding -- with morning, afternoon, and evening prayer sessions at their church. Work on Diamond D's progressed right up until the week before the grand reopening when lightning struck the brothel and burned it to the ground!

After the brothel fire, the church folks were rather smug in their outlook, bragging about "the power of prayer." But late last week, Jill Diamond, the owner/madam, sued the church, the preacher, and the entire congregation on the grounds that the church "was ultimately responsible for the demise of her building and her business -- either through direct or indirect divine actions or means."

In its reply to the court, the church vehemently and voraciously denied any and all responsibility or any connection to the building's destruction.

The crusty old judge read through the plaintiff's complaint and the defendant's reply, and at the opening hearing he commented, "I don't know how the hell I'm going to decide this damn case, but it appears from the paperwork that we now have a whorehouse owner who staunchly believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that thinks it's all bullsh-t!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy.
Arnaldo

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
CJ -- Here's a Texas true (and hilarious) story you'll love; I'm pretty sure you never heard about it. I shared it with my new AZB friends in 2013, a year after I joined up here. They and yet-unmet new pool playing friends got/will get a huge laugh at the sheer irony and role-reversals detailed in the article.

(I'm rooting for the brothel):
--------------------------------------------------------------

Mt. Vernon, Texas, Brothel Sues Local Church Over Lightning Strike!

The Diamond D brothel began construction on an expansion of their building to increase their ever-growing business. In response, the local Baptist Church started a campaign to block the business from expanding -- with morning, afternoon, and evening prayer sessions at their church. Work on Diamond D's progressed right up until the week before the grand reopening when lightning struck the brothel and burned it to the ground!

After the brothel fire, the church folks were rather smug in their outlook, bragging about "the power of prayer." But late last week, Jill Diamond, the owner/madam, sued the church, the preacher, and the entire congregation on the grounds that the church "was ultimately responsible for the demise of her building and her business -- either through direct or indirect divine actions or means."

In its reply to the court, the church vehemently and voraciously denied any and all responsibility or any connection to the building's destruction.

The crusty old judge read through the plaintiff's complaint and the defendant's reply, and at the opening hearing he commented, "I don't know how the hell I'm going to decide this damn case, but it appears from the paperwork that we now have a whorehouse owner who staunchly believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that thinks it's all bullsh-t!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy.
Arnaldo
Yes, that's an oldie but a still funny here in Texas especially.