I guess case makers are all too busy for my $$

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
It is like that everywhere nowadays, unfortunately. This is vacation season for anyone with kids, but if it has been more than a couple of weeks without a reply I would second guess that casemaker's ability to deliver on time, especially considering you haven't even discussed design yet. I have messaged back and forth with Phil about a design concept, but have never pulled the trigger. Maybe he gets frustrated from all of the window shoppers. Good luck.

I didn't think about vacation season. But you are correct. I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls here, only voicing my frustration.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Yep, this.

But I sure hate having to beg someone to take my money.

Exactly. LOL. I suppose folks really could be THAT busy that it's hard to keep up with demand.

There could be several reasons why it would be difficult to connect.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Although case-making is completely different than cue-making, the same people are
calling them, taking up their time, and not following through with an order.
Several cuemaker's I've worked with in the last few years are bitter, lashing out, and
want to stop taking orders and just build what they want to build, sell what they build
to anyone who wants them.
The constant text messages, requests for pic's, change orders, and attempts to cut
dollars out of the deal has really gotten to these guys.
On the other hand nothing is getting done on time and I'm about done, due to the
frustration from everything being late...way late.

I can understand 100%.

sgonzalez34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not sure he’s still making cases, but I had such a pleasant experience with Jack Justis, start to finished product.

Serafin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'll tell you that JB is extremely hard to get a hold of. They are slow to reply but the end product is well worth it. I had zero luck through email but finally got a reply via Facebook messenger. Took a while, but I'm thrilled with the case. Don't expect to get it quickly, just sayin. Having said that, I'd order another if I needed one from JB.

From what I've read, its probably more likely to get a reply from JB via Facebook vs email these days. At least from what I've read...

Remember, any of these folks that do custom work aren't gonna operate like a nuts and bolts business. Often times they are one or two man operations, too, so they may not put replying to messages at the top of their list, especially when trying to get other orders completed.

I wish you luck. I would love to order a case from JB, myself....

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love when I have money to spend and I can't get people to return phone calls or emails. I have a theme for a case, it will need to be hand carved and painted. Truly be a one of a kind. I've either emailed or left vm's for a few case makers who I think can do the job, not a peep back....

Here is what I would do in your case(pun intended)

Here, on AZ Main forum, Describe your design and stress money is no object.

budda bing budda boom

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Here's my perspective, for what it's worth. We only have so much time in a day. The vast majority of said time is hands-on shop work. Some time is allotted for communication. Within that time, I have to quickly skim through emails, texts, missed calls, etc. with an eye out for people related to the job(s) I'm actually working on in the shop. Those people are my current priority. Below those, if I have the time and inclination to chit-chat, I message back & forth with people who have pending orders that I am not actively working on yet. In any of these two types of communications I have to send pictures & give descriptions, explain which materials I like & why, listen to them tell me their thoughts, etc. Communicating can be an exhausting job in itself. Lowest on the line is new order requests. I read those less than any other & respond even less. It's not that I'm being a jerk or not appreciative of the interest. It's merely that I don't have that much time in my day to do all of that plus actually build a cue.

Here's the kicker. Every single person who reaches out to me feels exactly like the OP, like they matter above all else. They feel frustrated, almost offended if they don't get a response from me in the time they think they should. It doesn't occur to them that if I were to drop what I am doing to speak with them, that's time tacking on to an actual cue that somebody else is waiting on. While your selfish side might be ok with that, it's not so awesome when it's the other way around. And I'm just monkey in the middle, damned if I do & damned if I don't. I get *****ed at by all sides.

I wish it weren't like that. I wish I had an office with a secretary to keep up with all of it. I wish I had a shop manager who could lay out & direct the day's work so all I have to do is make cues. The world isn't like that, though. I have to do all of it on my own plus live a life outside of my shop. While I do honestly try my very best, I'm admittedly not great at it. What I am good at is making cues. And that's why people suffer me, and I sincerely appreciate their patience & understanding.

Sorry for the dump there but I imagine it parallels your situation. The case makers aren't a$$holes ignoring you. They're people trying to do the best they can to juggle work load with communication while hoping to not piss off too many people. Be patient and you'll get in touch with somebody, and you'll get the case of your dreams. The people you're reaching out to are apparently very busy for a reason, and to their credit they are prioritizing the work they currently have over your idea. When it's your case they're working on, they'll ignore other potential buyers while they focus on taking care of you.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Here's my perspective, for what it's worth. We only have so much time in a day. The vast majority of said time is hands-on shop work. Some time is allotted for communication. Within that time, I have to quickly skim through emails, texts, missed calls, etc. with an eye out for people related to the job(s) I'm actually working on in the shop. Those people are my current priority. Below those, if I have the time and inclination to chit-chat, I message back & forth with people who have pending orders that I am not actively working on yet. In any of these two types of communications I have to send pictures & give descriptions, explain which materials I like & why, listen to them tell me their thoughts, etc. Communicating can be an exhausting job in itself. Lowest on the line is new order requests. I read those less than any other & respond even less. It's not that I'm being a jerk or not appreciative of the interest. It's merely that I don't have that much time in my day to do all of that plus actually build a cue.

Here's the kicker. Every single person who reaches out to me feels exactly like the OP, like they matter above all else. They feel frustrated, almost offended if they don't get a response from me in the time they think they should. It doesn't occur to them that if I were to drop what I am doing to speak with them, that's time tacking on to an actual cue that somebody else is waiting on. While your selfish side might be ok with that, it's not so awesome when it's the other way around. And I'm just monkey in the middle, damned if I do & damned if I don't. I get *****ed at by all sides.

I wish it weren't like that. I wish I had an office with a secretary to keep up with all of it. I wish I had a shop manager who could lay out & direct the day's work so all I have to do is make cues. The world isn't like that, though. I have to do all of it on my own plus live a life outside of my shop. While I do honestly try my very best, I'm admittedly not great at it. What I am good at is making cues. And that's why people suffer me, and I sincerely appreciate their patience & understanding.

Sorry for the dump there but I imagine it parallels your situation. The case makers aren't a$$holes ignoring you. They're people trying to do the best they can to juggle work load with communication while hoping to not piss off too many people. Be patient and you'll get in touch with somebody, and you'll get the case of your dreams. The people you're reaching out to are apparently very busy for a reason, and to their credit they are prioritizing the work they currently have over your idea. When it's your case they're working on, they'll ignore other potential buyers while they focus on taking care of you.

First off, I never bashed anyone. I never said that I should come first. Never said everyone should drop everything for me. Didn’t call anyone out saying they should do this or that. I never acted like im entitled to anything.

Only voiced that it was hard to speak with a few case makers out there. You don’t know if it’s been 1 month or 3 months without response. I wouldn’t have voiced my frustration had it been a few days or even a couple weeks. I’m not even sure anyone got anything from me as I have yet to be contacted. So I don’t know. Again, not trying to throw anyone under any buss. If you or anyone else got offended by my post, sorry.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would it be fair to say most cue/case makers are talented craftsman but fair/poor managers. It’s hard to do everything and stay productive. The electrician I use returns calls after 7pm. He states that when a message is left for him. Hit and miss commutation does not work. And excuses are worthless.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I’m not sure he’s still making cases, but I had such a pleasant experience with Jack Justis, start to finished product.

Serafin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ditto...he did announce his retirement here. But also said he had some completed cases for sale. Jack is a true professional.
(edit) Guess this means we are among the lucky ones. :)

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
First off, I never bashed anyone. I never said that I should come first. Never said everyone should drop everything for me. Didn’t call anyone out saying they should do this or that. I never acted like im entitled to anything.

Only voiced that it was hard to speak with a few case makers out there. You don’t know if it’s been 1 month or 3 months without response. I wouldn’t have voiced my frustration had it been a few days or even a couple weeks. I’m not even sure anyone got anything from me as I have yet to be contacted. So I don’t know. Again, not trying to throw anyone under any buss. If you or anyone else got offended by my post, sorry.

I wasn't knocking you or insinuating that you had done anything wrong. Conversely, I was encouraging you to be patient, while also attempting to shed some light on why you were experiencing what you described. Had I thought you would be so defensive about it, I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to explain it.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it be fair to say most cue/case makers are talented craftsman but fair/poor managers. It’s hard to do everything and stay productive. The electrician I use returns calls after 7pm. He states that when a message is left for him. Hit and miss commutation does not work. And excuses are worthless.

I think this is spot on... I know a few electrical engineers who have the same communication 'gene'... unbelievable knowledge but very bad at communicating...they'd rather be 100% correct than be socially polite.

I feel like I'm walking on eggshells with certain cuemakers.. one question too many and you're on the sh*t list... the Great And Powerful Oz says Go Away!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I feel like I'm walking on eggshells with certain cuemakers.. one question too many and you're on the sh*t list... the Great And Powerful Oz says Go Away!
If you’re not happy now quit. It gets worse. The last maker I used damaged me. Everything was fine until I gave a deposit. There were signals and I’m sorry I did not act on them. I regret giving him the business and I hate the cue.
The aggregation out weighed the fun of building it.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
I wasn't knocking you or insinuating that you had done anything wrong. Conversely, I was encouraging you to be patient, while also attempting to shed some light on why you were experiencing what you described. Had I thought you would be so defensive about it, I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to explain it.

Sorry if I came across as defensive. Wasn’t my intent. I do and always have appreciated your posts.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you’re not happy now quit. It gets worse. The last maker I used damaged me. Everything was fine until I gave a deposit. There were signals and I’m sorry I did not act on them. I regret giving him the business and I hate the cue.
The aggregation out weighed the fun of building it.

Yes sir, agreed... I had a cuemaker replace a ferrule for me, I told him I wanted it the exact same length as the old one, which I'd measured, so it would match the other shafts. Well, it was shorter by 1/8".. I said you didn't make it the same length, he "says of course I did, what are you talking about?" I showed him a picture of the old ferrule with a ruler next to it.. then he went to "well that's how I do 'em"...

Entitled cuemakers = no fun.