I love 9 ball!

RichLec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to say that I love 9 ball. During some practice today I broke and 3 balls + the 9 ball fell.. It felt great, next rack 2 balls on the break and a 1 9 combo and another rack done.. I just feel better shooting 9 I attribute it to there being a "order" vs 8 ball where there is just chaos on the table with 15 balls!!!!

Again I love 9 ball

Rich

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
The only thing i like about 9 ball is breaking... Last wednesday at leagues 3 out of my 4 games i had easy combos at the 9 ball, really dont like to win that way but no other choice hehehe.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Just wanted to say that I love 9 ball. During some practice today I broke and 3 balls + the 9 ball fell.. It felt great, next rack 2 balls on the break and a 1 9 combo and another rack done.. I just feel better shooting 9 I attribute it to there being a "order" vs 8 ball where there is just chaos on the table with 15 balls!!!!

Again I love 9 ball

Rich

8-ball is not chaos, just a different type of game. 9-ball is a rotation game, so you always know the ball you're going to shoot next. 8-ball is a pattern game, where YOU have to decide the order you're going to shoot the balls in and play the table accordingly.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually like to practice 8 ball when I go to a new poolroom. For one, have have to make alot of the easy shots which is what most pros will tell you. You have to make all of the easy shots and make all of your shots easy.

Plus if there are any hustlers in the room watching you play it throws them off. First, they figure you are some sort of idiot for playing 8 ball by yourself, then they will ask you to play nine ball, ten ball, or one pocket and they have no idea of your true speed at those games.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I love the kicking aspect of 9-ball. Its the only major game (10-ball included) where, to play at a high level, you have to learn many different types of kicks including multiple rails, hold up english, high speed, curve, etc. and control the cue ball at the same time.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Again I love 9 ball

Rich

This is actually the part about 9-ball I don't like. I'd rather they have either 9 no count on the break, or at least not in the lower pockets. Would rather play 10-ball with no "golden break" rule. What you are saying it feels great to win without actually accomplishing anything. Like getting an A by cheating on a test.

RichLec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is actually the part about 9-ball I don't like. I'd rather they have either 9 no count on the break, or at least not in the lower pockets. Would rather play 10-ball with no "golden break" rule. What you are saying it feels great to win without actually accomplishing anything. Like getting an A by cheating on a test.

I hear what you are saying.. also the nine went into one of the top corner pockets, i didnt even realize it went in till I went looking for the one, i usually look for the one and then the 9 to see what kind of route needs to be taken to get to it, or if there is a nice easy combo to get out of a sticky break..

I have not played 10 ball, mainly because I dont know the exact rules and no one else in my circle plays it.

Rich

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I have not played 10 ball, mainly because I dont know the exact rules and no one else in my circle plays it.

Rich
Most play it just like 9-ball Texas Express... except there's 10 balls instead of 9. Simple.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member

I agree. I think the best part about pool is the strategy and creativity. One pocket and eight ball both support this. Nineball has far fewer options. There is almost always a "correct" shot. I also don't like the fact that you can win any game on the break. I think this is not in the spirit of any cueing game, but it is an exciting variable in competition.

I have made the eight ball on the break five times in one night. I have also went months without ever making it too. I would rather put up a five pack by running out then to snap the 8 or 9 that many times. So much more satisfying IMO.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy Memorial Day. But this fact, which is true btw, burns me. Why play nine ball with ten balls on the table?

Because played by the WPA rules, with possible modifications like on Tony Robles's tour, it's a much, much better game. With the tour modifications a lot and I mean a lot of the luck is taken out of the game.
This is not 9 ball with 10 balls, though a lot of people would like to think so.
I no longer have much interest in playing 9 ball and I've been playing pool a long time.

Edit: I should have added, on the tour you must either call a shot or a safety. A missed called shot gives the opponent the option to have the shooter shoot again. A called safety, incoming player must shoot from where the cue ball lies.

Last edited:

dukeboy1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
problem with 9 ball IMO

I'm sure some of you feel the same. Though I enjoy playing 9 ball because it's a faster game, I HATE the fact there are combos on the nine! All you ever hear about, and it's been mentioned in this thread a few times already, is people looking for an "easy combo on the nine". That's a losers way to win IMO. Figure it like this: THERE ARE 9 BALLS ON THE TABLE, so just HOW BAD do you have to play to always be 'looking for a quick win'? C'mon now, this game is fast enough without having to worry about someone slamming balls around, the 9 ball falling, and the better player losing due to a technicality in the rules. The rules for this game really need to be redone IMO...Matches on TV will not suffer a loss of viewers due to the change, if anything it might gain some viewers who wish to see the more skill it would take to constantly win without early 9 ball combos. Personally, I would rather watch the pros have to shoot all 9 balls in than expect a good match and have it be ruined by combos the whole time. 9 ball is a good game without what I consider to be crap. The other rules are fine, I just don't like the combos. At least make it so the 5 ball has to be down before a combo on the 9 is allowed? These are ways I enjoy playing this game and I set these rules before I play every chance I get. I have turned down many games where these rules weren't at least discussed before-hand but have played normally against lesser players so they feel they have a better chance of winning. Any thoughts on this by you guys/girls?

peteWazzup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because played by the WPA rules, with possible modifications like on Tony Robles's tour, it's a much, much better game. With the tour modifications a lot and I mean a lot of the luck is taken out of the game.
This is not 9 ball with 10 balls, though a lot of people would like to think so.
I no longer have much interest in playing 9 ball and I've been playing pool a long time.

Edit: I should have added, on the tour you must either call a shot or a safety. A missed called shot gives the opponent the option to have the shooter shoot again. A called safety, incoming player must shoot from where the cue ball lies.

But this is what I am saying. Ten ball should be played by the rules with call shot etc. Why play it with nine ball rules as the post that I quoted mentioned?

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
I agree. I think the best part about pool is the strategy and creativity. One pocket and eight ball both support this. Nineball has far fewer options. There is almost always a "correct" shot. I also don't like the fact that you can win any game on the break. I think this is not in the spirit of any cueing game, but it is an exciting variable in competition.

TAP TAP TAP

14.1 also calls for strategy, creativity and making the "correct" shot. I like to play chess, not craps. To me, Texas Express 9-ball is exactly that - a crap shoot.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
TAP TAP TAP

14.1 also calls for strategy, creativity and making the "correct" shot. I like to play chess, not craps. To me, Texas Express 9-ball is exactly that - a crap shoot.

Try shooting dice against SVB or Earl. Then try playing races to 7 9-ball against them. Let me know if the results are the same...

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Try shooting dice against SVB or Earl. Then try playing races to 7 9-ball against them. Let me know if the results are the same...

Duh... Obviously the top pros play the game at a different level.

They also don't send the 9 flying around the table every shot, either.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy Memorial Day. But this fact, which is true btw, burns me. Why play nine ball with ten balls on the table?

With 10 ball a few things end up happening. There is a lesser chance of a ball going in, and also a lesser chance of more than 2 going in (at a non-top pro level I'm saying. We all know there are a few pros that can make 10 ball seem like 7 ball), and then you have tougher lay-outs to go through. Plus most of the time when people play 10-ball it's easier to agree to 10 on the break gets spotted since it's a new game to most and there is no pre-conceved thoughts like in 9 ball.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

They will destroy the majority of Amateur players in 9 ball almost 100% of the time. BUT it is also true that A players have managed to win 9 ball matches against top players on occassion. I even know of a B level player that beat Jeanette Lee some years back. The fact is, lower level players have a better chance of winning in 9 ball than any other game.

Now, in 14.1 odds of an amateur beating John Schmidt are essentially nil. Even if a good player might put up a 50 ball run, but chances are it will be followed by a few 10 and 15 ball runs which is more than enough of an opportunity for John to finish the match.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
I'm not saying there isn't some degree of luck involved in 9-ball. There's an amount of luck in Texas Hold 'em too, but I would still be on Phil Ivey in every situation. Just because Joe Schmoe beats him in one hand doesn't mean there's a flaw in the game.

The facts are, that certain people have dedicated their lives to these games, and just because other games may be more "pure," doesn't mean there is an inherent flaw in the game, just the amateurs that play it.

In the long run, skill trumps luck every time. The more I practice, the luckier I get...