I love 9 ball!

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But this is what I am saying. Ten ball should be played by the rules with call shot etc. Why play it with nine ball rules as the post that I quoted mentioned?

Because for a lot of people playing with those rules vs Texas Express is just too difficult. Also, a lot of people who have never played 10 ball correctly can't stand that the rules take the so-called two-way shot out of the game.
Believe it or not, a prominent forum member has said that if they take the two-way shot out of the game, he will no longer support tournaments even as a spectator.
I still go to tournaments to watch and I hate the current 9 ball rules and have since the late '70s. Look at the attention the Country Calvin tournament has gotten, they are playing the old two-foul push out rules. I've said before, if you make the game so that you have to think more, ie: more difficult, a lot of people will stop playing rotation games. {9 ball} Push out 9 ball takes a lot more thinking than Texas Express and so does 10 ball played with the WPA rules combined with Predator Tour rules.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the kicking aspect of 9-ball. Its the only major game (10-ball included) where, to play at a high level, you have to learn many different types of kicks including multiple rails, hold up english, high speed, curve, etc. and control the cue ball at the same time.

Which is why pushout rules is be silly!

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
They will destroy the majority of Amateur players in 9 ball almost 100% of the time. BUT it is also true that A players have managed to win 9 ball matches against top players on occassion. I even know of a B level player that beat Jeanette Lee some years back. The fact is, lower level players have a better chance of winning in 9 ball than any other game.

Now, in 14.1 odds of an amateur beating John Schmidt are essentially nil. Even if a good player might put up a 50 ball run, but chances are it will be followed by a few 10 and 15 ball runs which is more than enough of an opportunity for John to finish the match.

I can attest to this personally. I once jumped out to a 42-0 lead on Dave Daya (a top 14.1 player) and didn't even come close to winning the game.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to say that I love 9 ball. During some practice today I broke and 3 balls + the 9 ball fell.. It felt great, next rack 2 balls on the break and a 1 9 combo and another rack done..

I just feel better ...Again I love 9 ball

Rich
And it it even better when that happens in a ring game!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure some of you feel the same. Though I enjoy playing 9 ball because it's a faster game, I HATE the fact there are combos on the nine! All you ever hear about, and it's been mentioned in this thread a few times already, is people looking for an "easy combo on the nine". That's a losers way to win IMO. Figure it like this: THERE ARE 9 BALLS ON THE TABLE, so just HOW BAD do you have to play to always be 'looking for a quick win'? C'mon now, this game is fast enough without having to worry about someone slamming balls around, the 9 ball falling, and the better player losing due to a technicality in the rules. The rules for this game really need to be redone IMO...Matches on TV will not suffer a loss of viewers due to the change, if anything it might gain some viewers who wish to see the more skill it would take to constantly win without early 9 ball combos. Personally, I would rather watch the pros have to shoot all 9 balls in than expect a good match and have it be ruined by combos the whole time. 9 ball is a good game without what I consider to be crap. The other rules are fine, I just don't like the combos. At least make it so the 5 ball has to be down before a combo on the 9 is allowed? These are ways I enjoy playing this game and I set these rules before I play every chance I get. I have turned down many games where these rules weren't at least discussed before-hand but have played normally against lesser players so they feel they have a better chance of winning. Any thoughts on this by you guys/girls?

True, but...I'd play that guy any day of the week. How often do you think you'd lose to an opponent who is constantly trying to ride the 9? My guess is not too often if you're the better player.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then you won't have a problem with calling a shot or a safety. The two-way shot is, by far, the worst thing about TE rules.

That is fine...I have no problem telling you that I plan on banking this ball at that hole and if it goes in, I'm running out, but if I miss you are gonna have a turn and not like it.

Doesn't look good for you either way!;)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is fine...I have no problem telling you that I plan on banking this ball at that hole and if it goes in, I'm running out, but if I miss you are gonna have a turn and not like it.

Doesn't look good for you either way!;)

Not with the Predator Tour rules. That's the whole point. And, I've been told I kick very well so you might not like it, that's not the point. Doing away with the so called two-way shot is the point.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not with the Predator Tour rules. That's the whole point. And, I've been told I kick very well so you might not like it, that's not the point. Doing away with the so called two-way shot is the point.

But why do away with the 2-way? It is used in many other games without question...or push option.