I might be all done with the league stuff

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
I play the team 9 ball league at Amsterdam B. What I really don't like is the races to 7. It's a gamble.

The race is over before it starts. I had to spot 2 games going to 7 to a C player last night.

I'd rather spot more in a longer set.

You can't win. Or I can't.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There must be a limit to how long the races can be, or league night would last until 3:30AM.

And yes, if you are playing in a handicap league as you state, the entire point is that, with weight, it's an even 50/50 race that favors no one.

What are you expecting?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
I play the team 9 ball league at Amsterdam B. What I really don't like is the races to 7. It's a gamble.

The race is over before it starts. I had to spot 2 games going to 7 to a C player last night.

I don't know any league that would have longer races. Do they play one match a night or 2? If 2, anything longer between 2 slow playing 7s will cause a long wait for others that are waiting for your match.

If you are spotting 2 games, you should be able to win at least a few just from the other players mistakes, then the rest from just running out. Try playing more safes, weaker players would have a hard time getting good hits and if they do, they won't have the knowledge to hit it for a return safe. Ball in hand for a top player in any league should be a win most of the time.

I usually end up waiting for some mistakes from the other player to clear a nice run before going for the win. I even whack around the balls a bit on a clear table if there are over 5-6 balls, just leaving the other guy long shots. If you know your opponent can't run out with 3-4 balls left, no harm in that and you end up moving yourself in a better position to win. The games may take a bit longer but you end up in a good spot at the end.

FYI I am a 7 in a 4-7 handicapped league, and so far have a 11-1 record using that stategy.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiago, there's always the race to 8 if you play a D+!

Quit your team and join ours. We're short on players. This is your only solution!

But really though, you just have to find your gear and the spot no longer matters. A couple weeks ago I played a B+, spotting me 1 on 7 (I'm a B). I drilled him, 7-1. I doubled-up that night, and played a C+ giving him 1 on 7, and drilled *him* 7-1. You just have to find your gear, and I think you'd do fine. You shoot straight and your position is pretty good, so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to beat a C player even giving weight.

lewdo26 said:

Last edited:

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Sounds like you need to play better. I'm sure when you were a C player you didn't mind getting a 2 game spot.

I'd rather give a 2 game spot than the 7 ball out. Consider yourself lucky.

Brklyn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you didn't complain to John about my handicap :)

I just happened to have a good night - doesn't always happen that way - I lost 7-1 to a D+ a couple of weeks ago spotting her 1 on 7.

Please don't quit the league - it's a lot of fun and I think you'll miss it.

BrooklynJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think for the $16 green fee for each player that when you spot a player 2 games it should be extend to beyond 7 to at least 9.

i spotted a D+ (underrated) 2 games as a C+ (overrated) going to 7. i blinked and i was done 4-0. blinked again and he's on the hill, 6-0. ended up losing 7-2. he hung up 2 nines for me - trying not to get raised i think since at that point in time he realized his team wasn't going to win the night.

short races like that, especially with only one rack to get warmed up with, it's hard to get a groove going and if you don't come out of the gate ON you're doomed to lose.

at the same time i think even races for two D players should be lowered to 5. the innings in these matches...

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:

Hey lewdo26,

Normally you're pretty positive and offer great, well-worded advice. That tells me you must really be upset about what happened at league, based on your post above. :(

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Spotting two games in a race to 7 against a C player?

That's NOTHING!

A consistent B player should be able to spot this easily.

Russ

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
nooooo but league is like so much fun! you guys can play for a dollar or something :)

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
akaTrigger said:
Hey lewdo26,

Normally you're pretty positive and offer great, well-worded advice. That tells me you must really be upset about what happened at league, based on your post above. :(
Oh, my. Now I'm scared.

Who's this? :D

Anyway, after this season I'll just stick with Predator, scratch tournaments, and cheap steaks money games.

Nothing wrong with the league. I just think races should be longer for B players and above and shorter otherwise.

Sorry if I was too critical. :(

P.S. Steven, you know the little elves are not with you every night! :D

Last edited:

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:

Yeah well atleast they say he is a C player but magically he gets a spot and he runs out everytime you miss. Yeah this is why gambling is so much better, you control what you want to do, handicapp and all.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
I like to play MANY sets.

Or long ones.

Win/lose or skill level don't matter. I think it's intrinsic to the game that you evaluate who's most consistent OVER TIME and that you play under some kind of competitive pressure.

I don't know if everyone agrees.

Last edited:

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
Oh, my. Now I'm scared.

Who's this? :D

Anyway, after this season I'll just stick with Predator, scratch tournaments, and cheap steaks money games.

Nothing wrong with the league. I just think races should be longer for B players and above and shorter otherwise.

Sorry if I was too critical. :(

You weren't critical, it was just telling for me, because I follow your posts when I can. You really do give great advice - you word things in such a way that make your statements sink in for me and it has been very helpful for my game (usually about the mental game and fundamentals). So when I saw this one, I thought to myself that you must really be frustrated because usually you give positive advice, not complain much. It's not a bad thing, just something I noticed.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
I like to play MANY sets.

Or long ones.

Win/lose or skill level don't matter. I think it's intrinsic to the game that you evaluate who's most consistent OVER TIME and that you play under some kind of competitive pressure.

I don't know if everyone agrees.

Well, I'd say that being able to put your game in gear at will defines a "good" player, too. Yeah, long-term consistency is good, but not the only good.

In the Iowa VNEA state tourney's Open level, it is a race to two!...In 8-ball. One hiccup and BAM!...left side of bracket. Try winning that with hundreds of players to go through!

You've got it made with such long races, imho.

Jeff Livingston

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
chefjeff said:
Well, I'd say that being able to put your game in gear at will defines a "good" player, too. Yeah, long-term consistency is good, but not the only good.

In the Iowa VNEA state tourney's Open level, it is a race to two!...In 8-ball. One hiccup and BAM!...left side of bracket. Try winning that with hundreds of players to go through!

You've got it made with such long races, imho.

Jeff Livingston
I can see that.

Short races are all about adapting early and critical shots.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
akaTrigger said:
You weren't critical, it was just telling for me, because I follow your posts when I can. You really do give great advice - you word things in such a way that make your statements sink in for me and it has been very helpful for my game (usually about the mental game and fundamentals). So when I saw this one, I thought to myself that you must really be frustrated because usually you give positive advice, not complain much. It's not a bad thing, just something I noticed.
Thanks for your words and understanding.

Justlovecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are the second person this week I know that quit, or is in the process of quitting the 9 ball league in Amsterdam. My friend Mitch just quit the individual 9 ball league on Sundays. He was rated a C but since his last 3 losses (9-1,9-1,9-3 all with giving 3 games on the wire) to D+ players he was demoted to a D+. He complained that giving games on the wire was a joke and the competition is not what it once was. I told Mitch, that he was just rationalizing the fact that his game is not as good as he taught it was and that he needs to get better. I also mentioned that games on the wire should not affect the better player. The more experienced player would captialize on mistakes and should run out. Any B player can loose to a C player 7-1 (with games on the wire) any given day. If it is a constant result week after week, than you need to re-evaluate your game. Tony Robles is the man in Amsterdam for that. He can definetly help you if you need it. I think you just had a bad week. Happens to the best of shooters. Good luck and whip butt next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDB