I played my first 3 games of one pocket tonight...

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Agreed. Sort of. You do have to "see the table" in one pocket but you have to "see the table" in all games if you play them correctly. One pocket may be more cerebral but you really never let your stroke out in it unless you are possibly willing to sell out. :D

Tell that to Tony Chohan. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tell that to Tony Chohan. :)

Don't know who Tony Chohan is. Had to google it. First thing came up was that he was a convicted felon and left it at that. I assume he was an aggressive one pocket player. Do you play like that. I think not. Most one pocket players do not let their strokes out for fear of selling out. As a matter of fact I love playing one pocket with aggressive sorts like that. Patience will always win out over guys like that.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Don't know who Tony Chohan is. Had to google it. First thing came up was that he was a convicted felon and left it at that. I assume he was an aggressive one pocket player. Do you play like that. I think not. Most one pocket players do not let their strokes out for fear of selling out. As a matter of fact I love playing one pocket with aggressive sorts like that. Patience will always win out over guys like that.

If your someone that watches one hole and you don't know who he is your missing out. He's in the midst of a one pocket set for 10k with chip Compton and chip hardly has a chance to win. I believe last week he robbed Shane for 5k. He plays aggressively and is a treat to watch as he let's his stroke out and plays a style that is uncommon but very effective. In my opinion he's top 5 one pocket players currently and is right up there with the likes of Scott Frost. That's obviously up for debate but I'm sure there's people out there that can vouch for what I'm saying.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If your someone that watches one hole and you don't know who he is your missing out. He's in the midst of a one pocket set for 10k with chip Compton and chip hardly has a chance to win. I believe last week he robbed Shane for 5k. He plays aggressively and is a treat to watch as he let's his stroke out and plays a style that is uncommon but very effective. In my opinion he's top 5 one pocket players currently and is right up there with the likes of Scott Frost. That's obviously up for debate but I'm sure there's people out there that can vouch for what I'm saying.

Thanks for clueing me in jzip. Can't watch streams at work and when I'm not here I'm playing or have other things to do. He obviously has tons of talent to trust himself not to sell out if he plays as aggressively as you say.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Thanks for clueing me in jzip. Can't watch streams at work and when I'm not here I'm playing or have other things to do. He obviously has tons of talent to trust himself not to sell out if he plays as aggressively as you say.

Hey ... what are you doing being 64 and not retired? LOL .... I had to go look up that word "work" in the dictionary. :thumbup:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey ... what are you doing being 64 and not retired? LOL .... I had to go look up that word "work" in the dictionary. :thumbup:

Haven't you heard. Working is for poor people. Waiting for Medicare to kick in at least.

cincy_kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Sort of. You do have to "see the table" in one pocket but you have to "see the table" in all games if you play them correctly. One pocket may be more cerebral but you really never let your stroke out in it unless you are possibly willing to sell out. :D

There is a difference between "letting your stroke out" and playing aggressive.

There are some players like Frost. Chohan and a slew of others who play aggressive one pocket where as some others will play more defensively.

That being said, I don't think it has anything to do with stroking the ball. You should stroke the ball on every shot you take no matter what speed you are shooting it because bunting the balls (in any pool game) will end up causing you to sell out a lot easier than stroking the ball will.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a difference between "letting your stroke out" and playing aggressive.

There are some players like Frost. Chohan and a slew of others who play aggressive one pocket where as some others will play more defensively.

That being said, I don't think it has anything to do with stroking the ball. You should stroke the ball on every shot you take no matter what speed you are shooting it because bunting the balls (in any pool game) will end up causing you to sell out a lot easier than stroking the ball will.

When I say letting your stroke out, I am talking about force follow and heavy draw and moving whitey around to break up clusters which you generally do not see in one pocket. I still get satisfaction using that sort of stroke in games like 9 ball. But as I have said I will and do play one pocket in which you generally do not see that sort of stroke.

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think 1 pocket is the only game that you're actually playing your opponent. In the sense that you can adjust your strategy based off of who you are playing by knowing their tendencies as a player.

Games like 8,9,14.1 etc you're pretty much playing yourself and the layout of the table.

Just my opinion...

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a game of one pocket you can have a lengthy conversation with your opponent without ever saying a word. All the talking is done with the balls.