I thought that all Runde era Schon cues were made with sharp points, but am I wrong?

I see a cue on ebay that is advertised as a R5 Runde era Schon cue, and everything about the cue appears to be a Runde era Schon except for the points (which are rounded, and not sharp).

I always thought that Runde era Schon cues were all made with sharp points (not rounded off points), but it appears that I was wrong about that (after seeing the Schon in the link below).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R5-Runde-era-Schon-/181289460483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a35b1a303

I wonder why the cue was not made with sharp points.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I don't know if this is a Runde or not, but I do know that CNC points like this cue has don't disqualify a cue from being a Runde Era Schon. Runde was CNCing points for maybe his last 3 or 4 years or something like that.

The eBay cue is more likely late 80s or early 90s but it could be a Runde.

Kevin

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The story I heard was Schon got into CNC when Bob Runde was still there, and there are several R-series out there with rounded points.
I have an R-15 with rounded points (and an extra veneer in the butt sleeve

cue on the bottom

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deanoc knows a lot about Schon Cues and you could send him a PM. I also feel as you do about the sharp points.
Based upon my personal dealings with Bob Runde, he felt a pool cue looked much better with sharp points and
he would hand mitre the points on cues he was making.

I can't say for certain that Bob made Schons without sharp points but if he did, it's just not as nice as the so many
other Schon cues he made that do have sharp points; take a look at my '85 Runde Schon photos posted in the
Cue Gallery.......sharp points just look better and add more labor time to the cue build but it's worth it in terms of
making the cue look more handsome....IMO. Without sharp points, the cue would look like any other Schon which is not
to imply it looks or plays bad......just not as nice as it would with sharp points like Runde Schon cues.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Good to know. I have a 92 that looks like the one second from the top but with a plain butt sleeve. Dashed ring work like the one in the EBay ad.

Just maybe I got lucky for once. And here I was going to sell it as I have 2.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
sharp vs. round

When collectors commonly refer to "Runde era Schons", they usually are talking about the sharp (V-bottom) structural point cues that were made back when they did the S and R series. However, in the 80s they had also begun transitioning to the flat bottom inlaid style points, which are their signature style today.

If you know what you are looking at, you will encounter many R-series cues that have the rounded points. So, there is overlap.....for a time, they were doing both back then and then moved away from the traditional V-bottom sharp points, that most collectors find most desirable.

Check out this beautiful R-15 model that I recently sold.....it's basically a stock R-catalog cue, except with the inlaid/rounded style points and silver trim rings at the joint. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=342943

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,960
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,508
  • IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,609
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,462
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,362

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deanoc knows a lot about Schon Cues and you could send him a PM. I also feel as you do about the sharp points.
Based upon my personal dealings with Bob Runde, he felt a pool cue looked much better with sharp points and
he would hand mitre the points on cues he was making.

I can't say for certain that Bob made Schons without sharp points but if he did, it's just not as nice as the so many
other Schon cues he made that do have sharp points; take a look at my '85 Runde Schon photos posted in the
Cue Gallery.......sharp points just look better and add more labor time to the cue build but it's worth it in terms of
making the cue look more handsome....IMO. Without sharp points, the cue would look like any other Schon which is not
to imply it looks or plays bad......just not as nice as it would with sharp points like Runde Schon cues.

interesting I would have said the opposite machine spliced for sharp points hand
made for rounded splicing

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
interesting I would have said the opposite machine spliced for sharp points hand
made for rounded splicing

Yeah, no. The round points are caused by the CNC drill bit "rounding" the peak and coming down the other side.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
When collectors commonly refer to "Runde era Schons", they usually are talking about the sharp (V-bottom) structural point cues that were made back when they did the S and R series. However, in the 80s they had also begun transitioning to the flat bottom inlaid style points, which are their signature style today.

If you know what you are looking at, you will encounter many R-series cues that have the rounded points. So, there is overlap.....for a time, they were doing both back then and then moved away from the traditional V-bottom sharp points, that most collectors find most desirable.

Check out this beautiful R-15 model that I recently sold.....it's basically a stock R-catalog cue, except with the inlaid/rounded style points and silver trim rings at the joint. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=342943

And are the sharp pointed Runde's spliced or "knifed in" (question asked in full knowledge that my idea of spliced might not coincide with yours. I think of spliced as Spain's or Gus's methods of making a arm have points).

Last edited:

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From one of my old posts about Schons.

Common misnomer. 82-85 are sharp with stitch ring standard, 85-87 sharp with nickel ring, stitch ring optional(still is). 87-92 CNC'd points. Runde left in 92. 1st year after Bob left, nose of pin is lengthened, minor pitch decreased, Schon on joint collar. 94, pin is changed again, same pitch no nose, Schon logo on shaft. I'm sure construction is slightly different too. Possibly handle wood and coring.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me this cue is yes/no?

I agree that it is a Runde cue, but, not what is widely accepted when the term "Runde Era" is used meaning:

Sharp points
Different thread pitch
stitch rings
micarta ferrules
scrolled "S"

Value wise, I don't think it is the same as the value for the same R5 with sharp points but the cue is probably worth the start bid.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
It seems to me this cue is yes/no?

I agree that it is a Runde cue, but, not what is widely accepted when the term "Runde Era" is used meaning:

Sharp points
Different thread pitch
stitch rings
micarta ferrules
scrolled "S"

Value wise, I don't think it is the same as the value for the same R5 with sharp points but the cue is probably worth the start bid.

I think "Runde Era" has come to mean something other than "that period of time that Runde was with the company" which will always be a little confusing.

Kevin

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to Sean & PDX for their knowledgeable answers, especially PDX's post.
I think we all agree that the points haven't a thing to do with the way the cue plays.

If you want to compare similar Schon designs, compare my '85 Runde Schon with its sharp points
and double red veneers with this cue. Not very long ago, I posted photos of the cue in the Cue Gallery.
I think the difference between sharp points and square points is perfectly illustrated with a comparison
of these two Schon cues. So let me ask if you could own either cue, which one would you rather have?
And if you say either one as they pretty much look alike, then I guess the difference must be either
insignificant or inconsequential, or at least for you it is.

Perhaps it's because the cues from the legendary cue-makers always had sharp points so subliminally
it sets the height of the bar for cue "appearance" in the back of my mind. I know there was more hand
skills and manual labor involved making those cues before the arrival of CNC technology for the pool
industry. In any event, for my tastes in pool cues, sharp points just look better and when the cue has
CNC points, it just looks like something was missing or that the cue-maker could have taken just a little
more time. Nonetheless, it doesn't affect the way the cue plays. It's purely a question of the impressions.

Last edited:

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rundes

PDX is correct, some mid 80 spliced points had stich ring collars then went silver rings unless special ordered. Even the first Rundes had cnc points.

Raecarmia

"Only the finest"
Silver Member
Ok here's on for ya...

I have an R-15 almost identical to the one Sean posted from Cueaddicts....the only difference is it has the two dots under the Schon logo as opposed to above the logo?
Any idea what that means or is supposed to represent? Any feedback is appreciated....

Thanks Gary

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
schon

the dots above the O represent the o sound . Its really pronouced with the o sound not shawn sound .it is supposed to mean pretty.Terry Romine came up with the name.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ask this out of sheer curiosity.

Pictured are my one year old Schon R7 cocobolo. Average retail just under $500.

Below is a new Schmelke R040 that I purchased as a cue I could offer to my holiday company to use. Cost with linen, white butt cap, wood to wood and a Moori soft $165.

How can Schmelke provide, what to me, appear to be darn sharp points, and still make a buck, for way under $200?

As far as the Cocobolo; they're identical. Schon has the edge by using curly or birdseye maple. What gives???

I'm not doing a hatchet job on Schon because I paid hard earned money for it, and it's a gorgeous cue. In all honesty, the "lowly" Schmelke is a darn near ringer for fit and finish.

IMG_5559.jpg

Raecarmia

"Only the finest"
Silver Member
schon logo

Thanks Rico for the reply...if the dots above make the "o" sound...lol what sound will it be with the dots under the o....happy new year!!!