I was a bad sport last night....

qbilder said:
I have had my touts & fits, especially when I was younger & weight lifting & had too much testosterone. Age has a way of curing that. I'm still a firecracker, but only when provoked.

I have been on the other side of the fence once or twice. I was playing a guy in league & beat him pretty bad. He got upset & began running his chops, then stated that he'd have my ass if we were playing for cash. Without hesitation I took him up on his words & set my price. He was locked in because he publicly & loudly challenged me, and was already cloudy minded so I knew he was a sitting duck. My price was high because I knew I had him locked, so he had to bum money from teammates & friends. The race was to seven & I won the first 4 with 3 runouts, fast. He was humiliated & knew he was going to be stuck, so he asked if I would let him out. I saw his humility and understand all to well putting foot in mouth. I also saw his wife tearing up in the background, and realized Christmas was two weeks away. This money meant his family's holiday. They didn't deserve to pay for his mouth. I let him out. It was a creepy, odd feeling that changed the way I match up & with whom. I felt like a bigger scumbag than him. He's an ass & is expected to act as such. I took advantage of his emotional instability for my own financial gain. He was already flustered & had his pride on the line so it was an easy score. It wasn't my first time. I had flipped many a$$holes in my time, playing their pride & emotions against them. But this was the first time I seen things from every perspective & seen the consequences of what I thought was "just gambling".

My point is, frustration based mouthing can cost more than a few moments of public humiliation. I could have easily took all of his family's Chrismas money. Lots of guys would have, and never thought twice about it. Heck, my friends & teammates teased me for years afterwards, calling me the "softy". Maybe they never seen things from my perspective. Maybe they have stronger killer instincts. Maybe I was a softy. But I sure feel differently now about that infamous & universal pool playing scenario. I'm careful with my words now, and work hard at keeping emotions at minimum. It could cost you more than just your pride if you meet somebody who is eagerly waiting & ready for you to lose your cool. Just another perspective....

I like your style!

In fact, for the most part, I have been just the opposite. I grew up in the infamous Sports Palace of New Orleans and there, no one gave or received quarter. At least I never saw anyone get a break at least from their opponent If you got a break, it was because you used good judgment. In that pool hall there weren't many forgiving souls.:bash: :embarrassed2:

Now, I have mellowed with years and won't gamble with those who cannot afford to lose. We have one guy in our pool hall who likes to gamble when he has money and he really wants to gamble with me. He can't win even when I give him weight that he thinks is a good spot. I gambled with him only once and that was reluctantly for VERY cheap money. I agreed to gamble with him, expecting that he would bow out but he played anyway. It was the worst money I ever won ($30). I think I had bad luck for the next few years after that. This individual although strong of body and mind has some "deadly" serious health issues; the kind you wouldn't want to face. I believe it is bad karma to take someone's money who has those kind of health issues.

Anyway, if I saw what you saw, today, I would do the same. The wife tearing up would get me too and especially at Christmas time.

REP coming your way. sniff......sniff....:sad: :)

JoeyA
 
fiftyfifty said:
:smile: dont worry tigers eye i would have played but I didnt want you to go on that honey moon broke and by the way u owe me a windshield:thumbup:


LOL!! If the gas thing keeps going around here you won't have to worry about a windshield....
I asked a guy about a good horse today.....:D
See you next teusday pro!:thumbup:
By the way...how do you like my new avatar? LOL!!!!!!!!
 
qbilder said:
I have had my touts & fits, especially when I was younger & weight lifting & had too much testosterone. Age has a way of curing that. I'm still a firecracker, but only when provoked.

I have been on the other side of the fence once or twice. I was playing a guy in league & beat him pretty bad. He got upset & began running his chops, then stated that he'd have my ass if we were playing for cash. Without hesitation I took him up on his words & set my price. He was locked in because he publicly & loudly challenged me, and was already cloudy minded so I knew he was a sitting duck. My price was high because I knew I had him locked, so he had to bum money from teammates & friends. The race was to seven & I won the first 4 with 3 runouts, fast. He was humiliated & knew he was going to be stuck, so he asked if I would let him out. I saw his humility and understand all to well putting foot in mouth. I also saw his wife tearing up in the background, and realized Christmas was two weeks away. This money meant his family's holiday. They didn't deserve to pay for his mouth. I let him out. It was a creepy, odd feeling that changed the way I match up & with whom. I felt like a bigger scumbag than him. He's an ass & is expected to act as such. I took advantage of his emotional instability for my own financial gain. He was already flustered & had his pride on the line so it was an easy score. It wasn't my first time. I had flipped many a$$holes in my time, playing their pride & emotions against them. But this was the first time I seen things from every perspective & seen the consequences of what I thought was "just gambling".

My point is, frustration based mouthing can cost more than a few moments of public humiliation. I could have easily took all of his family's Chrismas money. Lots of guys would have, and never thought twice about it. Heck, my friends & teammates teased me for years afterwards, calling me the "softy". Maybe they never seen things from my perspective. Maybe they have stronger killer instincts. Maybe I was a softy. But I sure feel differently now about that infamous & universal pool playing scenario. I'm careful with my words now, and work hard at keeping emotions at minimum. It could cost you more than just your pride if you meet somebody who is eagerly waiting & ready for you to lose your cool. Just another perspective....

Maybe you are a softy... so what? I feel like you learned something that day, that will stay with you all your years, and that is kindness and compassion for someone other than yourself and the ones closest to your heart. That is the key to being human.

Dwight
 
tigerseye said:
I would have played him even....I don't give weight usually to players that just beat me even...If anything i would have asked him for weight...

The reason I asked is because you admitted you lost your temper. People tend not to think clearly when that happens and can get themselves in a jam . A room full of road players they would be climbing over each other to get to a guy who they saw lose, get mad, and want to gamble.
 
It happens and is normally a bad move... lets analyze.

1. You were not getting any rolls.
2. he was geting rolls.
3. You were in a bad mood because of this.
4. he 4 packed you.

What makes you think it was a good idea to gamble? If I were him, I would have said Yes.

Sure we have all seen it in the past, I am guilty of it as well and in most cases we are lucky the other guy doesnt say yes. Imagine how much more pissed you would have been if he would have taken your money. considering he was on his game (4-pack)... you were not getting any rolls, and your bad mood isnt normally a good thing for your game.

Normally I get in this mood it is because of myself playing bad and not my opponent playing well. If he 4 packed you then technically you have not much to be mad about, you didnt get a chance to screw up or do something good in 4 racks. You cant win if you dont get to the table. A good friend of mine and great local player once told me that I should be happy for my opponent playing well, if there is anyone to be mad at it should be yourself for letting him to the table to play so well. This is the only game/sport where you can lose and never get a turn.

Dont worry about, it happens and adds character... shrug it off and look forward to playing again.
 
going on tilt

In Poker, a similar state of mind is called, going "on tilt".....

Usually happens after a bad beat, where the other hand wins against big odds and sometimes shouldn't have been in the hand at the end anyway.....

whereupon you might go "on tilt" and start playing wild and stupid because you're mad and everybody at the table knows you'll just be throwing your money away after that.......
 
wahcheck said:
In Poker, a similar state of mind is called, going "on tilt".....

Usually happens after a bad beat, where the other hand wins against big odds and sometimes shouldn't have been in the hand at the end anyway.....

whereupon you might go "on tilt" and start playing wild and stupid because you're mad and everybody at the table knows you'll just be throwing your money away after that.......

I have been there and done that also...I know exactly what u r talking about....not a good feeling at all once you come too...:bash:

I wonder if there are some inner issues that come out and show their ugly face from time to time....:grin-devilish:

Either way i got to admit it and move on..like everyone here has said...i appreciate all of your feedback...you're the best:happydance:
 
Back
Top