I was a bad sport last night....

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Has anyone ever had a night to where u can do everything to the best of your ability and still come up short?
Well that was the case last night and i lost control of my temper...
The guy i was playing in league put a fantastic 4-pack on me and the balls just seemed to roll his way the entire match....
There was nothing i could do other than take back the 2 balls i missed....
Anyway i was furious and imediately turned to him and said " show me your real game and lets gamble" of course he said he cared not to and i smarted something off by saying...smartest thing you've ever done in your life..." I also turned to 1 of my new friends and said how about you? You wanna gamble...
I can't believe i had that kind of mental breakdown....
I have been thinking about this all day and as soon as i get the chance i am going to apologize to them both...
I just hate losing...:mad:
Anyone here had any stories like this and what happened???
 
This too will pass. Your still carrying it around with you. Put it down and move on. It's a game. We win some and we lose some. ALL OF US DO!
Peace, Purdman (smile)
 
we have all done it.

Apologizing is good but most likely they recognize your behavior as coming from frustration.Keep working on your mental game and these things will happen less often.The good thing is you recognize what you did and are willing to admit your part.Keep setting a good example and you will gain a good reputation amongst the pool community.

I have been a poor sport,a big crybaby..you name it.I once had a tendency after a bad league match or a poor showing at a tourney to want to gamble afterward,as if I could make up for it by showing everyone I could play.I gave up gambling for other reasons but still sometimes I feel like barking at some1 after a loss.

For myself,I had to set goals,what do I want to concentrate on?-tournaments,matching up,league play,fun play?I decided to focus on tournaments,now all my energy and practice goes into being a better tournament player.If you always play your best and don't take anything away from your opponent you may be disappointed after a loss but you can use that to bear down on your next match.
 
Last edited:
i lost, shook hands with my opponent, paid for my match, took my break cue apart and promtly threw it at the wall. it happens. everyone looses their cool. way too many videos of earl and even the scorpion breaking cues. let it slide, appologize to everyone who might have seen it and move on. no one likes to loose but it's how you deal with it and come back. i just made sure that i took something from every loss and try to never let the same thing beat beat me.
 
I beat a young guy in a match recently and he did something similar, couldn't wait to play me again, didn't get a chance to warm up, etc. When somebody does that I just tell them I'm only a beginner, I just got lucky. That usually shuts them up.

I have a question. If he would have reluctantly agreed to gamble but asked for weight, would you have given it to him? Were you mad enough to give him the nuts?
 
Last edited:
Hey K, Been there done that!!! The apology will make you and the other guy feel better and is the right thing to do as you know. I also have had to do it as I'm sure many others have and will have to in the future. Pool is a funny game sometimes you can do all the right things and still lose. I have never met a winner that likes to lose but it is how you react afterwards that counts. I beat Sam Monday at the Tap in the handicap tourney once real bad and overheard him saying how he hated to loose to a faggot. Boy I was one hot sob, if he wasn't so feaking big I would have cracked him with a nine ball. I then got in his face and made him apologize about six times, boy I was pissed. Long story is I got over it and let it go and I'm sure you and the other player can do the same.
Got any gas, my daughter says there is none in Asheville?
Did I hear you say something about a fiance in another thread?
Dan
 
I've been mad before but not to where I would snap on someone like that. I played someone in league play once and it was a 5-4 race and he won the first 3 games and was on the hill and was all smiling and talking $hit and I never said a word. Then I won the next 5 games for the match and he wouldn't even shake my hand he was so pissed and he just left.

I knew he was just pissed from losing and I didn't think anything of it since we had never had a problem before and the next day he came up to me and apologized.
 
tigerseye said:
Has anyone ever had a night to where u can do everything to the best of your ability and still come up short?
Well that was the case last night and i lost control of my temper...
The guy i was playing in league put a fantastic 4-pack on me and the balls just seemed to roll his way the entire match....
There was nothing i could do other than take back the 2 balls i missed....
Anyway i was furious and imediately turned to him and said " show me your real game and lets gamble" of course he said he cared not to and i smarted something off by saying...smartest thing you've ever done in your life..." I also turned to 1 of my new friends and said how about you? You wanna gamble...
I can't believe i had that kind of mental breakdown....
I have been thinking about this all day and as soon as i get the chance i am going to apologize to them both...
I just hate losing...:mad:
Anyone here had any stories like this and what happened???

All of us are HUMAN. We make mistakes. Forgive yourself, apologize, and move on.:)
 
I mostly get mad when my opponent is getting lucky rolls. Nothing makes me more frustrated than the opponent leaving me locked up on a ball with no shot when he didn't mean to play safe to begin with. If this happens a few times in a row it really starts to get to me.
 
Maybe a little help

Very rare that I show anything on the outside and when I do it is because I made a stupid move myself, not that I played well and got beat anyway. Here is something that may help you keep your cool although you didn't ask for it.

I never let one game, one match, one event, define me. I know who I am and what I can do. If I don't do it one day, no big deal. If I have a spectacular day, I recognize that too and don't get too excited about it unless I can repeat the performance on demand. Taking the long view and looking at the big picture keeps my emotions much more even.

Hu


tigerseye said:
Has anyone ever had a night to where u can do everything to the best of your ability and still come up short?
Well that was the case last night and i lost control of my temper...
The guy i was playing in league put a fantastic 4-pack on me and the balls just seemed to roll his way the entire match....
There was nothing i could do other than take back the 2 balls i missed....
Anyway i was furious and imediately turned to him and said " show me your real game and lets gamble" of course he said he cared not to and i smarted something off by saying...smartest thing you've ever done in your life..." I also turned to 1 of my new friends and said how about you? You wanna gamble...
I can't believe i had that kind of mental breakdown....
I have been thinking about this all day and as soon as i get the chance i am going to apologize to them both...
I just hate losing...:mad:
Anyone here had any stories like this and what happened???
 
alstl said:
I have a question. If he would have reluctantly agreed to gamble but asked for weight, would you have given it to him? Were you mad enough to give him the nuts?

I would have played him even....I don't give weight usually to players that just beat me even...If anything i would have asked him for weight...
 
quedup said:
Hey K, Been there done that!!! The apology will make you and the other guy feel better and is the right thing to do as you know. I also have had to do it as I'm sure many others have and will have to in the future. Pool is a funny game sometimes you can do all the right things and still lose. I have never met a winner that likes to lose but it is how you react afterwards that counts. I beat Sam Monday at the Tap in the handicap tourney once real bad and overheard him saying how he hated to loose to a faggot. Boy I was one hot sob, if he wasn't so feaking big I would have cracked him with a nine ball. I then got in his face and made him apologize about six times, boy I was pissed. Long story is I got over it and let it go and I'm sure you and the other player can do the same.
Got any gas, my daughter says there is none in Asheville?
Did I hear you say something about a fiance in another thread?
Dan

I have heard Sammy huff and puff quite a few times but we all know he hates to lose also....but the name calling is way outta line.
As far as the gas situation...you would think we had the freakin Hurricane..It is crazy around here for a couple more days...people are literally fighting each other...
Yes i have a fiance' and we are getting hitched this Saturday....wish you could make it buddy...
Oh yea it was good to see you in Vegas:thumbup:
 
I have had my touts & fits, especially when I was younger & weight lifting & had too much testosterone. Age has a way of curing that. I'm still a firecracker, but only when provoked.

I have been on the other side of the fence once or twice. I was playing a guy in league & beat him pretty bad. He got upset & began running his chops, then stated that he'd have my ass if we were playing for cash. Without hesitation I took him up on his words & set my price. He was locked in because he publicly & loudly challenged me, and was already cloudy minded so I knew he was a sitting duck. My price was high because I knew I had him locked, so he had to bum money from teammates & friends. The race was to seven & I won the first 4 with 3 runouts, fast. He was humiliated & knew he was going to be stuck, so he asked if I would let him out. I saw his humility and understand all to well putting foot in mouth. I also saw his wife tearing up in the background, and realized Christmas was two weeks away. This money meant his family's holiday. They didn't deserve to pay for his mouth. I let him out. It was a creepy, odd feeling that changed the way I match up & with whom. I felt like a bigger scumbag than him. He's an ass & is expected to act as such. I took advantage of his emotional instability for my own financial gain. He was already flustered & had his pride on the line so it was an easy score. It wasn't my first time. I had flipped many a$$holes in my time, playing their pride & emotions against them. But this was the first time I seen things from every perspective & seen the consequences of what I thought was "just gambling".

My point is, frustration based mouthing can cost more than a few moments of public humiliation. I could have easily took all of his family's Chrismas money. Lots of guys would have, and never thought twice about it. Heck, my friends & teammates teased me for years afterwards, calling me the "softy". Maybe they never seen things from my perspective. Maybe they have stronger killer instincts. Maybe I was a softy. But I sure feel differently now about that infamous & universal pool playing scenario. I'm careful with my words now, and work hard at keeping emotions at minimum. It could cost you more than just your pride if you meet somebody who is eagerly waiting & ready for you to lose your cool. Just another perspective....
 
When I was younger, if I lost, it stung deep and hard. Sometimes, my mouth would engage before my brain did and off I'd go. That killer instinct would raise its ugly head more often than not.

It got to the point when I'd walk into the pool room and someone would yell, "Hey, a$$h**e!", I didn't even need to look, I knew they were talking to me. LOL

Now, older and a little wiser, it still stings but I smile a lot more and keep my mouth closed.

(Then, the next time I play them, I tear off their head! LOL)

Stones
 
Congrats

tigerseye said:
I have heard Sammy huff and puff quite a few times but we all know he hates to lose also....but the name calling is way outta line.
As far as the gas situation...you would think we had the freakin Hurricane..It is crazy around here for a couple more days...people are literally fighting each other...
Yes i have a fiance' and we are getting hitched this Saturday....wish you could make it buddy...
Oh yea it was good to see you in Vegas:thumbup:

Now I know you got me mixed up with some other damn good looking, fast talking, snow shoveling SOB Yankee!! I only wish I was in Vegas, I just had my left knee replaced and have been stuck in the house and with doctors for the last month. Yea Sam is ok with me actually I got respect for him he's got a lot of game and loves to play. He was just venting when I was too close and heard em!!
CONGRATS on the upcoming nuptuals I just celebrated my 29th with the bride last month!!
Take Care Tigereye and hope you'all have a GREAT time Saturday. I'll be around in the spring when my girl graduates from UNCA look forward to seeing ya then!!
Dan
 
:smile: dont worry tigers eye i would have played but I didnt want you to go on that honey moon broke and by the way u owe me a windshield:thumbup:
 
All this talk about Asheville is making me homesick. Tell Cowboy he's got the seven and the pop for me, will ya?
 
Back
Top