I watched part of an APA league stream

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also saw a pass up an easy one rail kick to try to jump over a ball 4 diamonds away. Spent money for that jump cue might as well use it. Probably got the carbon shaft and the jump cue on a special deal.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I also saw a pass up an easy one rail kick to try to jump over a ball 4 diamonds away. Spent money for that jump cue might as well use it. Probably got the carbon shaft and the jump cue on a special deal.
Sure you were watching apa? Didn't think they allow jump cues.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried some cf, liked them for alot of reasons but never pulled the trigger on one. Takes me a long time to adjust to something new, and so use to maple, i have a real harder time with low deflection. Also, i dont like the look. Some people love it. To me it doesnt look like a cue anymore as silly as that sounds.

I dont mind spending money on good equipment. Cf has some serious benefit's in longevity. I know a very good player who loves his cf cue, keeps it in his car.

If someone likes a cf shaft, and can afford it by all means i wish them well. If it also helps inspire them to play more, even better. I typically get one nice cue a year. From a builder i research or hear great things about. I don't buy thinking it will make my game better. I buy them because i want to support the art of building and because i enjoy nice shiny toys. I am by no means rich, but putting aside 25 bux a week to buy a toy once a year works well for me.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm basically just an average league player, although I have played in some tournaments, including at Hard Times Bellflower (best I ever did was win 3 matches in one of the Sunday 9 ball tournaments)- so I guess I fit the type of player described in this thread.

I got a CF Cynergy Cuetec cue last year not because I thought it would make me a better player (although that would be nice if it happened), but because I wanted to buy a new cue (hadn't bought one in like 5 years), was bored during covid lockdown, and had some extra money saved because there wasn't much to spend on during lockdown. More than anything, I was just curious about CF.

So far I've liked it. It hasn't revolutionized my game or ability in any notable manner, but I like it better than any other cue I've used in the past. The only thing I'm dissatisfied about is the tip- it would be better a bit softer. I miscue a bit more because of that.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always wondered where the line is. The OP questions the lower rated players using CF shafts. Do the top pros look down on 650 fargos with the same opinion? At what level of playing ability do the CF shafts kick in and help?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several around me who have bought them from a local dude....can't think of his name for the life of me. He came to a tri-cups selling them out of the trunk of his car. Some say he is the maker, others say he just gets them at wholesale prices from China... $200 bucks a pop for the standard pin and an ultraskin tip. I imagine there will be more and more homemade/ generics/ knockoffs showing up around the pool halls and bars in the near future. More and more folks are showing up with these on league nights claiming you can't tell the difference between them and a Revo.

I don't know about all that, but they sure do look the same...black.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You think they bought the carbon stuff because it's pretty? Why else would they buy it?
Because it can be slicker than freshly sanded wood with just an alcohol wipe.

Because it can produce low deflection on the cueball as well or better than the current top LD wood shafts.

Because it will never warp.

Because it will resist scratches and dings.

Because you can buy one today and buy a replacement 5 years from now and reasonably expect them both to play exactly the same.

Maybe because they think black shafts look cool.

Think about it. What you’re suggesting can be applied to any purchase with a price point. It’s fairly transparent that you apply it to CF shafts because you don’t like them. It’s not good enough for you that you have one preference and there’s an emerging industry trend that’s different from your preference and call it good there. You invented a narrative that anyone that buys them would be doing it for the dumbest possible reason. Because that narrative makes you feel better about yourself.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting how many low level players are using the expensive carbon shaft as if it's a magic elixir. I'm not criticizing them because they simply don't have the time to play more than once a week and they were clearly having a lot of fun but I was surprised at how popular the carbon shaft was.
So would you still say it isn't the arrow?
Or a banger is a banger no matter the arrow?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I was being facetious.
I keep it simple.
Master chalk, hard pressed Triangle tips, and rock hard maple shafts (not LD).
I still think it is the Indian not he arrow.
Laminated tips, premium chalk or LD shafts weren't around when Willie Mosconi, Ralph Greenleaf, Earl Stickland and Efren Reyes started playing, and they seem to have gotten by. :)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because it can be slicker than freshly sanded wood with just an alcohol wipe.

Because it can produce low deflection on the cueball as well or better than the current top LD wood shafts.

Because it will never warp.

Because it will resist scratches and dings.

Because you can buy one today and buy a replacement 5 years from now and reasonably expect them both to play exactly the same.

Maybe because they think black shafts look cool.

Think about it. What you’re suggesting can be applied to any purchase with a price point. It’s fairly transparent that you apply it to CF shafts because you don’t like them. It’s not good enough for you that you have one preference and there’s an emerging industry trend that’s different from your preference and call it good there. You invented a narrative that anyone that buys them would be doing it for the dumbest possible reason. Because that narrative makes you feel better about yourself.
Pool cue secrets they don't want you to know about. The point is people who only play once a week in a league aren't going to benefit from a $400 shaft on the cue. Kind of like people who don't exercise and eat too many calories didn't benefit from Trudeau's diet secrets.

I disagreed with sending Trudeau to prison. People get rich on all kinds of stuff of dubious benefit to the people who buy it. In my city they have legalized "medical marijuana" dealerships. The national institute of health released a study detailing the many health risks of smoking marijuana but it's being sold and hyped as having a medical benefit.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool cue secrets they don't want you to know about. The point is people who only play once a week in a league aren't going to benefit from a $400 shaft on the cue. Kind of like people who don't exercise and eat too many calories didn't benefit from Trudeau's diet secrets.

I disagreed with sending Trudeau to prison. People get rich on all kinds of stuff of dubious benefit to the people who buy it. In my city they have legalized "medical marijuana" dealerships. The national institute of health released a study detailing the many health risks of smoking marijuana but it's being sold and hyped as having a medical benefit.
Oh boy, now you did it!