I won the tournament with a "strange" borrowed cue!!

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
I currently do not have a cue. I'm in the process of narrowing down what I want( since my previous cue was stolen). So when I won the tournament last night I borrowed a cue from a friend of mine. He loves collecting high end cues. He has the smoothest hitting $1,800 Meucci I have ever played with. The name of the cue was a Guerreria. He claims he paid $2300 for it. But he has other expensive cues as well. I had never heard of it. Anybody heard of a Guerreria? It played pretty well I must say.
It's a Tony Guerra cue. I own several and they hit as sweet as anything I've owed in 30 years. BTW I have an extensive Meucci collection and I own several BMC Custom cues that are in the $2-3,000 price range.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In fact, that very Meucci cue was basically like a placebo of sorts.
So the cue wasn't really what one was lead to believe it was worth.
And then again, who is to really say up until you sell it & get the $.

But the cue wasn't for sale & sounds like its value is being questioned.
It doesn't matter because the only thing that counts is how it played.
Since you did pretty good with it, just imagine what else is out there?

$2000-$2500 can land you a great cue in the secondary market and
cue-makers can build you a darn nice one for that amount too. So the
notion of spending that much for a Meucci, well, it'd need to be special.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci made that Crown Jewel cue for Rempe that, iirc, once changed hands for 80grand. Crazy.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Borrowing cues the only way to go

I pride my self in being the World Champion of borrowing cues, I am thinking
about giving a seminar on this very subject. I will share a few of my borrowing
secrets that I have perfected over many years. First make sure that your
perspective lender believes you are doing him a great service. Throw a few
names around of big cue collectors or sellers that have wanted to lend you
cues but you turned down for various reasons. Tell them from the beginning
that you only borrow high end stuff no junk. Ask who they have lent cues to
before and ask for references. To pull this off it also helps to be friends with
someone like DEANOC . and since I have a big heart I sometimes even pay
the return postage when I'm tired of them. I thought about finding a backup
lender (you can't be to careful) and contacted my old buddy Billy Stroud about
becoming a lender since we go back to the years of the Cotton Bowling Palace
but he said he only has one cue. YEAH SURE I have a good mind to go to
his place and see for myself, but decided to just let my stew in his on juice
after I get someone else. You had your chance BILLY.
jack

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bugs Rucker was a legendary one pocket player and banker. He never owned a cue. Only borrowed.

Buddy Hall would get a cue before a tournament. Win the tournament. Then sell the cue. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Lastly, don't disparage Meucci cues. A lot of pro players won a lot of tournaments with those cues. Hey, Efren beat Earl in that first big Japanese race to 100 in the 90s with a Meucci.

Good day.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bugs Rucker was a legendary one pocket player and banker. He never owned a cue. Only borrowed.

Buddy Hall would get a cue before a tournament. Win the tournament. Then sell the cue. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Lastly, don't disparage Meucci cues. A lot of pro players won a lot of tournaments with those cues. Hey, Efren beat Earl in that first big Japanese race to 100 in the 90s with a Meucci.

Good day.

Bugs Rucker never owned a cue? Interesting.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bugs Rucker never owned a cue? Interesting.
Somebody asked The Beard this one time and he said Bugs usually borrowed a cue but did own them too. Hey, why buy when can just put the bite on for a stick?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently do not have a cue. I'm in the process of narrowing down what I want( since my previous cue was stolen). So when I won the tournament last night I borrowed a cue from a friend of mine. He loves collecting high end cues. He has the smoothest hitting $1,800 Meucci I have ever played with. The name of the cue was a Guerreria. He claims he paid $2300 for it. But he has other expensive cues as well. I had never heard of it. Anybody heard of a Guerreria? It played pretty well I must say.

A LOT of people have been in the following situation:

Playing a tournament or money match and a tip comes off or etc..etc... happens to the shaft or butt.

Well, my highest 14.1 run of my life was "finished" with a dufferin house cue.

I was playing a "cheap to me" 14.1 match for a few bucks. During my turn at table, my tip came off. Lol.... I remember thinking "oh chit, I'm gonna lose for sure"..... guess what?,,,, I grabbed a cue iff the wall and my run ended st 156.

We were going to (memory...sucks), I think 150. Whatever the game was to....it didn't matter cause a couple rail birds said "keep going"....I did and ....lol.... missed after 6 more shots after the game "goal" was reached.

I've always wondered how far I would have got if I had not let the fact that the game "was over" enter my mind.

I know 156 is not a number to brag about to many, many, many people but, in "my" small world, 156 in 14.1 is nothing to sneeze at.

BTW, today, lol...... I wouldn't bet a plug nickel that I could run more than 50ish balls on average attempt with ball in paw on first break.

Point being:

Cue (arrow) does NOT mean chit......in general. It's the player (Indian) that makes the difference.

Back then....lol.... I couldn't afford a personal cue......custom or production...didn't matter. I couldn't afford one but, ran 156 with a house cue.

Today, well, not to brag cause I'm not wealthy or rich by a LONG shot but, I'm pretty damn comfortable. I can and do..... buy pretty much ANY CUE I want but.... I'm not putting up a 156 up no matter what cue i use or how much it cost....or whom made it. Just that simple....cue dont matter.

If the "mystery cue" you played with is right "for you".....well, do I have to draw you a map?

Buy it from him or one very similar and then you may be more comfortable with your equipment.