ID on some wood

jocnat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got some wood found in clean out of old garage.
Can you help me ID it?
100_0766.JPG

100_0768.JPG

[

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if thats EIR, that is some nice old stuff, but my gut says its not. that spider webbing grain is indicative of BRW, at least the majority of the BRW ive seen on guitars has the same coloration and spider webbing. Sand down some and see what it smells like. BRW smells much nicer and sweeter than EIR.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
My vote would brazilan Rosewood, East Indian doesn't have that grainwork, IMO. Nor will it smell like Brazilan, not even close, especially if it's old.
JMHO,
DAve

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it is palisander also. But, Palisander isn't "east indian rosewood". EIR is latifolia species. It is the one that is almost purplish and very common/cheap.

Palisander is baronii species and is one of the Madagascar rosewoods. It is not the Bois de Rose kind, there are several Madagascar rosewoods. I believe this particular Madagascar rosewood is better than EIR. For the pieces I have, the tone isn't as high and tight as say Kamphi, but it is way longer and more pleasant than EIR.

It could be Brazilian, a sniff test is definitely in order, but it is a dead ringer for Madagascar.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe it is palisander also. But, Palisander isn't "east indian rosewood". EIR is latifolia species. It is the one that is almost purplish and very common/cheap.

Palisander is baronii species and is one of the Madagascar rosewoods. It is not the Bois de Rose kind, there are several Madagascar rosewoods. I believe this particular Madagascar rosewood is better than EIR. For the pieces I have, the tone isn't as high and tight as say Kamphi, but it is way longer and more pleasant than EIR.

It could be Brazilian, a sniff test is definitely in order, but it is a dead ringer for Madagascar.

I think this assessment is spot on....

jocnat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The general consensus is Braz rosewood. A local lumberyard that does exotics also believe BR. Thanks to all