If a foreigner wants to match up - where to go in the US?

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Beware of Bank it, rough action. He'll play you some 9 ball and bank the rack just to watch you squirm in your chair.

Colonel we've never met but I know who you are. Why you want to tell tales out of school & knock my action?

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be extremely careful, Colin. Getting robbed or worse is a very real possibility. Unless you have a friend, at that poolroom, who is looking out for your interest you are gambling very high indeed. I bet half the players offering to get you games are contemplating how to best set you up for their local idol/hustler. If something goes down you cannot count on online friends, you need a real friend that at least knows the houseman and is known in the poolhall. You can guarantee that anything less than that, they will set you up for their local champ. Having actual friends in the hall will also help you with the more dangerous scenarios. Otherwise, who will help you when they stiff/rob/stab you?
Hence the request for advice. Much appreciated.

Colin

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"If a foreigner wants to match up - where to go in the US?"

Somewhere close to an international airport because you may have to walk to catch the plane home.

Are you prepared to pay US Taxes of your earnings......should you win a dime?

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any noted local contenders thereabouts? Tony Robles? Champ of a fellow btw, though met him only once.

Might drift in low profile like with my libertarianish buddy Trumpy, as I call him.

Colin

Mr. Robles will be hosting an event this weekend in Brooklyn,NY @ Gotham City Billiard Club. Also the first weekend in Nov. I believe @ Steinway in Astoria,Queens. Tons of action. You can run the gambit from C player to world beater in this month around NYC. Great people @ both places. Enjoy:thumbup:

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Up and coming pros do it all the time, fly into detroit or Milwaukee and hit the metro area of each state (ohio, wi, indiana, mn, illinois, iowa, etc.)and ask the counter guy for some 1000/ set action and play all the shortstops ,this should minimize the b.s.

DaddysVisa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have any interest in swinging through the NW US, you should take a few days to swing up to Calgary, Canada. There are plenty of $1000 sets for you guys here playing whatever game you want. You might even find some snooker action. The best part is much of your action would be against relative unknowns in the US so you don't have to worry too much about killing your action, and you don't have to worry about getting knifed on your way out with your winnings which is an added bonus. But make sure to bring your A-game!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You can get all the action you want at Jamacia Joes and Chesters in Oklahoma City in 8,9,10 Ball and Rotation.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear there's some kid in South Dakota who's loves fishing and may even play a little pool...

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Ya, Teachers has heart for days doesn't it...
The attitude of the people who post from there is the exact same way you'll be treated when you go there.

Sidepockets would be much better if you were in that area.

You shouldn't have a problem finding rotation games pretty much anywhere though. Either stay in the Midwest (Detroit, Chicago, etc.) go East (NY, NJ) or go West (California, Vegas)

I assume you mean Justin Bergman?

Probably the best way to kill one's potential action by beating him, but I appreciate the offer.

If I did play him on his home ground, it would be at my own game.

But thanks for the reply.

FWIW: Would there be a depth of potential challengers in MO? I want to start from the bottom up to help the less privileged ;)

Colin

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
At Amsterdam if you see pros like Tony Robles, Mika, Earl, or Jennifer Barretta then they're likely there to give lessons, or playing in the leagues. Amsterdam is known for the strength and competitiveness of their leagues.

Again, if you're looking for action then Steinway is probably the best venue. Earl Strickland and Zion Zvi are their house pros. Finnegan, from the recent TV show "The Hustlers" run their tournaments, and can probably help you action. FWIW, practically all the filipinos pros will stop and hang out at Steinway while they're in the area.

Mr Mike Wong, ace911 on az, was always looking to improve his game.
Any noted local contenders thereabouts? Tony Robles? Champ of a fellow btw, though met him only once.

Might drift in low profile like with my libertarianish buddy Trumpy, as I call him.

Colin

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Seriously, be careful. There are many places in the USA where your life expectancy could shrink to minutes if certain people knew you were carrying lots of cash.

Not that there aren't similar places in Europe.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all for the good tips. It gives me some ideas on where I might start and some potential travel options.

FWIW: My goal would be to cover expenses and have a great experience. If it cost me a few grand above expenses, so be it.

I'm not a world beater and not a fool, nor a crook looking to hustle suckers. Just would be fun to have some pretty good even-ish match ups and to experience some of the banter that pool players are famous for.

Colin

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously, be careful. There are many places in the USA where your life expectancy could shrink to minutes if certain people knew you were carrying lots of cash.

Not that there aren't similar places in Europe.
Haven't been to Europe, I'm from Australia, but have played in the Philippines and got followed out by the ref after taking a little from a local ring-in at One Stop in Manila. Basically looking for an additional tip, and the management wanted a cue tax after the game, despite taking the cue they lent me, to lure me to play, off me during the match after I broke and ran a couple of frames of 10 ball. They were also swapping my house provided playing and breaking cues when they were out of my sight during the match.

Was all fun, but when it comes to money, gotta be careful in some places.

That's why I'd rather open match ups with people who are willing to lose a few bucks, rather than just drift around looking for random action with God knows who.

Cheers,
Colin

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Atlanta has been picking up lately. I'd say start at Atlanta, go to Chattanooga for a spell. I was told Patrick Werren did well recently in those areas and he's foreign. Hell if you do come to Dixie lemme know. I'll play you some $100 sets to get you started just to pick your brain a little. My eyes are horrible but I just can't stay away from the game.
Horrible eyes are like honey to a bee for me... just kidding:grin-square:

Appreciate the invite and anything that could get me to a place called Chattanooga has to get on the to do list :)

Colin