If I had cues made to my specs, then would it be fair to say that I made them?

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Could be they make them too. Message i just got said Max Tsai is manager of Fury cues. I'm guessing that's most likely Nelson's son.

Name of D M Tsai’s company is DongYang. He started making cues in 1966. I don’t think he’s the son. He set up KaoKao, and then left to further the Fury brand. He then left Fury to start his own thing. Their quality is above anything I’ve seen coming from China, with the exception of Weilu (Peri/Eclat), but for the dollar, they’re exceptional. If I was to pull a Dean, and have 24 of the “zorros” run by them, you’d see a night and day difference in what the end customer received.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name of D M Tsai’s company is DongYang. He started making cues in 1966. I don’t think he’s the son. He set up KaoKao, and then left to further the Fury brand. He then left Fury to start his own thing. Their quality is above anything I’ve seen coming from China, with the exception of Weilu (Peri/Eclat), but for the dollar, they’re exceptional. If I was to pull a Dean, and have 24 of the “zorros” run by them, you’d see a night and day difference in what the end customer received.
Yeah i just watched a video saying what you state here. I've had a MIT and was VERY well made. There is a Max Tsai at Fury who looks to be around 30 so i just guessed that had to be a son/nephew.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Yeah i just watched a video saying what you state here. I've had a MIT and was VERY well made. There is a Max Tsai at Fury who looks to be around 30 so i just guessed that had to be a son/nephew.

People walk up to me when I play with my MIT SW tribute, and think it’s the real deal. They nailed the design. Down to the .830 joint, and 3/8-11.5 thread. Cue is drop dead gorgeous. And less than the Zorros. And my cue has 6 spliced points, and SW ringwork.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People walk up to me when I play with my MIT SW tribute, and think it’s the real deal. They nailed the design. Down to the .830 joint, and 3/8-11.5 thread. Cue is drop dead gorgeous. And less than the Zorros. And my cue has 6 spliced points, and SW ringwork.
Is there a dealer or do buy off their FB page? UD: i found contact info. May have to get one of those SW style cues.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whether he "owned" the company or not, I have been to the Adam factory in Japan when Dick was there and he gave me a tour back in the early 80s. He had a Japanese worker put an ivory ferrule on one of my Richard Black shafts.

And he (Richard) didn't own the company (I know you've got the quotes there). David Forman did, for those that didn't realize this. Forman contracted Miki Cues to build Adam Cues.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
And he (Richard) didn't own the company (I know you've got the quotes there). David Forman did, for those that didn't realize this. Forman contracted Miki Cues to build Adam Cues.

I have a serious pool man crush on you, Fred. One of the most informative posters, even since RSB and ASP. Great info in this thread.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a serious pool man crush on you, Fred. One of the most informative posters, even since RSB and ASP. Great info in this thread.

LOL!!!

My big regret is that I actually lived in Carlsbad, CA , Richard Helmstetter's home. I tried to get with him to get the missing pieces filled in on his time in Japan:

• Did he have a separate shop for his cues or did he use the same equipment?
  • How many Adam Cues did he actually touch?
  • What cuemakers did he make blanks for? And was he actually making them?
  • What was his role in the Balabushka Series and were there prototypes done before the contract was signed with Josephine Balabushka

Etc.

Unfortunately, his mental capacity was really slipping, and his caregivers were very protective of Helmstetter. And I dragged my feet, quite frankly. My one small window... I let slip away.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are correct.

If anyone ever bothered to research, they would know that. Dick never was in there running the machines. Japanese workers were.

When I wrote "owned". I meant owned or supervised the operation of manufacturing the Adam and Helstetter cues, not the facility and machinery.

I talked to him several times when I lived in Japan. He once handed me a bunch of cues to sell, if I wanted to. He was giving them to me at rock bottom and told me to charge whatever I could get out of them. I declined. I should have taken him up on it.

http://www.askabilliards.com/a16/The-History-of-Adam/article_info.html

Last edited:

Is this what the MIT SW Tribute cues look like?

Attachments

• 020140318030007.jpg
    020140318030007.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 114

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is a fair question. I'm going to answer from a manufacturing viewpoint, since that's a fair analogy. I and my cohorts have 3rd party builder make things for us all the time. But it's totally fair to say, "I built a tool for that project," even though the physical machining and assembling of that tool was done by a contracted 3rd party. Totally normal conversation in the manufacturing world.

I also added to the other thread that if you buy a Schuler Cue today, it's built by Jacoby. You'd be buying a Schuler Cue, not a Jacoby. You can say it's a Jacoby-built Schuler Cue or whatever, but it's still a Schuler Cue.

Freddie that is a very accurate statement. In the industry I am in, very few companies actually make their own products. They do the design and then farm the actuall construction/manufacturing out to a CM (Contract Manufacturer). And every company considers them them their products and they made them.

In cues, I think this question could go two ways.

If I am just giving a cuemaker general visual design guidelines and core playing specs like weight, shaft diameter joint type, etc...then NO I do not think you could say you are the maker of that cue because the core engineering of the cue is unchanged and not your IP.

But say you come up with a design that uses a special material that you designed to core the cue, and you specified the exact method that the different pieces were mated together, or came up with a completely unique joint , something that got into the core mechanical design of the cue and then had Adams or McDermott make that cue for you then definitely you could call that you own cue design that you own. Simple example: if Mike Lambros went to a manufacturer and had them make mass production versions of his cues they would certainly be Lambros cues even if he never did any work on them.

But if were to go to Pete Tascarella and say that I want 50 cues that are 18oz with 12.5mm shafts and 2 or 3 designs of points and inlays, they would be Tascarellas not JFP cues.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I got family I stay with in Taiwan not too far from all the main cue makers. Same city. I can get any cue over there for less than anybody is ever going to buy it online or from a dealer. I can go straight to the factory and buy what is in stock. I go to Taiwan every once in a while. I was there last April. Maybe I will buy a whole batch next time. I almost did last time. I also have a Taiwanese buddy who is a China Aitlines pilot who will fly them straight to Hawaii and deliver them to my house for free. No shipping charges for me.

Taiwan makes some nice cues now. When I lived there years ago you couldn't have given me one.

Timothy Soong on here can get you any cue you want from Taiwan.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I got family I stay with in Taiwan not too far from all the main cue makers. Same city. I can get any cue over there for less than anybody is ever going to buy it online or from a dealer. I can go straight to the factory and buy what is in stock. I go to Taiwan every once in a while. I was there last April. Maybe I will buy a whole batch next time. I almost did last time. I also have a Taiwanese buddy who is a China Aitlines pilot who will fly them straight to Hawaii and deliver them to my house for free. No shipping charges for me.

Taiwan makes some nice cues now. When I lived there years ago you couldn't have given me one.

Timothy Soong on here can get you any cue you want from Taiwan.

Glad to know you can really stick it to us dealers that have cultivated a relationship, and order these dozens at a time.

Anything else you’d like to screw up for us honest folk, while you’re at it?