If you are visiting in Fnland...

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are visiting in Finland... and will be there at September 19-22 2019. You might try try get into World Championships on Finnish Kaisa Billiards.

picture.php

We play WC every 3 years. Game is played on 10ft Kaisa tables and Aramith Pro cup 67mm Kaisa Balls(almost same size as Russian Pyramid balls,68mm)
Finnish players can enter by ranking or from qualifiers.
Foreigners can enter with reserved country spots. I believe most of foreigners will be Russian Pyramid players from Russia, Lithuania, Estonia or other eastern Europe countries. So if you are from other country you have high chance to get in even if you never played game!

Venue is really COOL!

Official Santa park at Artic Circle.
Here is some photos from Official hotel of tournament.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

If interested you can PM me. Also there is contact info e-mail adress on poster.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying to get in too.
I rarely in play Kaisa tournaments. There is 16 ranking tournaments in season and Finnish Champs. I only played 4 of them and now on 28th(32 get straight spot after 25th of may). One more tournament to go and Semifinals and Finals on Finnish Champs. I can´t enter last tournament due Snooker Finnish Championship qualifiers at same time(top 4 qualify to final happening. Semifinals and Finals played same time on every type of billiard games.)
I went to Semifinals on Finnish Champs (5/25/2019) so if I win Championship or get into final I should be in to World Champs. Champ get spot. No matter about ranking.

Also you can ask anything on topic. I will answer.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is 9ball?

Who was the previous winner?

Will you be at the US Open 9b?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is 9ball?

Who was the previous winner?

Will you be at the US Open 9b?

No. Kaisa is totally different billiard game.

I am amateur player. 3 pro players from Finland and Mika is particicaping to U.S Open 9-ball. Laaksonen , Makkonen and Siekkinen. There is couple more that could get in but not this time.

Laaksonen is also dominant Kaisa player too. Winning events almost every time enters to tournament.

Reigning Champ from 2016 WC is legendary Finnish Kaisa senior age player: Mika Stark
On 90s he was practically undefeated master.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kiitos!

I will be looking to keep up with the happenings there.

You practiced 2 yr ago? You are well rested and ready to fight! :eek:. Get um!

Suomi!!!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kiitos!

I will be looking to keep up with the happenings there.

You practiced 2 yr ago? You are well rested and ready to fight! :eek:. Get um!

Suomi!!!

I practice a lot of Snooker and Pool. So I am normally on stroke anyways.
I don´t have Kaisa or Pyramid cue. so I borrow it House cue from another Billiard place whenever I have Kaisa tournament. Normally I get it day before tournament and practice evening before tournament.
Pyramid is different game and played on 12ft tables. We have 2 of those tables on our new club too. Really strong young players on that game in our club. I play that game rarely and there the key is making cueball from carom to pocket. I am bad on that area.

I am planning to do introduction about different billiard games on video. Probably Finnish Language and English subtitles.
I have tables now for all these.

- Russian Pyramid (3 different variants: Amerikanka, Nevskaja and Moskovskaja)
- Finnish Kaisa
- Snooker
- English Billiards
- 10-Ball
- 9-Ball
- 8-Ball
- One Pocket
- Taiwanese Carom
. Carom 8-Ball (dunno real name)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom 8ball is called 'scratch pool', as I recall it.

That name really doesn't speak to what game (8/9/10/14.1...) one is playing, does it? It isn't a game people play, bit o can see that with your shared environment of pool/ kaisa, it would be more appealing to you all.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying to get in too.
I rarely in play Kaisa tournaments. There is 16 ranking tournaments in season and Finnish Champs. I only played 4 of them and now on 28th(32 get straight spot after 25th of may). One more tournament to go and Semifinals and Finals on Finnish Champs. I can´t enter last tournament due Snooker Finnish Championship qualifiers at same time(top 4 qualify to final happening. Semifinals and Finals played same time on every type of billiard games.)
I went to Semifinals on Finnish Champs (5/25/2019) so if I win Championship or get into final I should be in to World Champs. Champ get spot. No matter about ranking.

Also you can ask anything on topic. I will answer.

Are the women in Finland as hot as the Swedes?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yes. I did practice game couple weeks two years ago. I played it a lot on 90´s.

Here is pictures from our private club showing pocket size.

picture.php

picture.php

I’ve played the Russian version...in your video, you made those pockets look big...
...nice shooting,

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very cool..that ball/pocket relationship is nuts!

say, what are the characteristics of pyramid/kaisa cues?

what kind of wood, taper, tip size, weight, balance point, etc.

cheers from usa..

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

cheers from usa..

Pyramid cues are normally made from harder wood. Taper is normally really long and butt is thinner than pool cue. Weight around 700 grams which is around 23 oz. Many times those are really flexible too
Kaisa Cues are more "manly" and have sometimes 14mm tips and really stiff one piece cue. Weight is from 22 oz to 28 oz.
That house cue what i am using on video is traditional style heavy cue (maybe 25 oz) what vibrates just sligthly when hitting a ball.
I like it a lot.
Normally people ask "how you can play with that? It's like bulldozer." :D

Edit:pyramid cues don't often have any ferrule.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

cheers from usa..

First time I played with the Russians, they gave me a one-piece cue...64 inches..23 oz.
...it was a log...:eek:
Second time, I took a 20.5 Dufferin sneaky pete...ebony four-point...57 inches...
...I played much better

The cue in the video looks a bit long...betcha it’s heavy also

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Those pockets look like some kind of joke lol. It looks like you have to hit the ball hard enough to force it between the jaws. I’d love to try one some time though...and that area of the world is beautiful.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those pockets look like some kind of joke lol. It looks like you have to hit the ball hard enough to force it between the jaws. I’d love to try one some time though...and that area of the world is beautiful.

Yes. You are right. Speed and sidespin helps making a ball. :p Not joke. :cool: