I'm on TV tomorrow night! Court TV...10:30 PM EST

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
JAM said:
CheffJeff, I was just reading an article on the American Film Institute's website about the 100 most memorable lines from movies in years gone by: http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx#list

In today's cash-starved pool world, one which is craving media attention to promote the sport/game, there are some endeavors which are spreading out to mainstream.

I think Melissa Herndon's appearance on Court TV's "Takedown" segment was a fantastic vehicle to bring a little personality to the TV public and a step forward in the pursuit of name-brand recognition. JMHO, FWIW!

I close with a quote from the 1958 movie "Auntie Mame," which happens to be No. 93 on the AFI list of Top 100 Movie Quotes: Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death..

JAM

Great observations, JAM. I concur completely.

Jeff Livingston

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chefjeff said:
...Now, name three memorable lines from Keith.

Well, let me put my thinking cap on! :D

Okay. This is a real test to my memory. Let me see if I can quote 'em verbatim.

No. 1. "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?" Wish I had one plum nickel for every time I heard the word "nightmare" in my life! ;)
No. 2. "Aw, you got lucky, you lucky prick." Not in original script and was ad-libbed by the actor. :D

No. 3. "When I die, I hope I come back as a cue-ball because that way I can give everybody a bad roll." Not in TCOM, but it's my favorite Keith quote. :p

Picture of Keith McCready signing a "The Color of Money" poster for a fan at First Break in Sterling, Virginia! :)

JAM

Attachments

• Keith signing TCOM poster.JPG
    Keith signing TCOM poster.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 99

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
JAM said:
Well, let me put my thinking cap on! :D

Okay. This is a real test to my memory. Let me see if I can quote 'em verbatim.

No. 1. "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?" Wish I had one plum nickel for every time I heard the word "nightmare" in my life! ;)
No. 2. "Aw, you got lucky, you lucky prick." Not in original script and was ad-libbed by the actor. :D

No. 3. "When I die, I hope I come back as a cue-ball because that way I can give everybody a bad roll." Not in TCOM, but it's my favorite Keith quote. :p

Picture of Keith McCready signing a "The Color of Money" poster for a fan at First Break in Sterling, Virginia! :)

JAM

You forgot one: "Honey, get me another Bud while you're up." :D

That picture reveals a lot about spreading the word. Nice job, Keith. Keep it up.

Jeff Livingston

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chefjeff said:
Mac....no disrespect, but pleeeeeaaaase....ALL of TV is meant to be entertainment. That's why people watch. Even the "news" programs are positioned as entertainment first, educational comes later, if at all. Just look at the faces that talk, for example....eye candy.

I think there is a misconception amongst pool players that the pool tv shows should be like what happens in a real room. TV producers don't really care about that. They care about ratings, sponsors, and money. If it happens to be real, well then, so be it.

It's about marketing...it's ALWAYS about marketing. The sponsors want to sell products and services. The producers want the sponsors to be successful so they will sponsor again. That's how it works. If it doesn't work, it doesn't repeat.

I've studied broadcasting in college. I've studied marketing in my business for 24 years. I've played pool for 40 years. I've studied value heirarchy. Integrate them and---presto!---marketing spews forth as THE answer for making money for pool players. I don't make the rules of the universe, I simply observe them and honestly integrate them as fully as possible into every thought and action I create.

The only "opinion" that really counts is the numbers of viewers buying sponsors' products., so these arguments are mostly hot air anyway.

Jeff Livingston

A show can be both entertaining as well as accurate, that's the complaint. I don't disagree with you, they can and will do what ever they want. In this case it was not only not accurate but so badly done it was not even entertaining. Done correctly it would easily capture the interest of any person in the audience, they love the gambling gunslinger side of the game, that's one of the biggest appeals. So show it accurately, that is what the show claims to be anyway so in that respect the show is a fraud. My complaint is valid and even an audience member who watched it and isn't a player or knows anything pool but enjoyed it was cheated because they were lied to. Thats all I am saying and it's a shame.