In honor of Grady

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the pool industry mourns the loss of Grady, I thought it would be neat to start a thread honoring him with some stories. Any one have some they wish to share?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have told this before but here gos.
At "The Ballroom" a large pool room in Toms River NJ Grady came to visit the owner Tony who was a friend of his. Grady wanted to practice straight pool for an up coming tournament. I was the best straight pool player available so we played for several hours and had a great battle. Grady was very entertaining and funny. Several times he used words that I was unfamiliar with and I had to get an explanation.
Now I cherish the short time I spent with him even more.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have told this before but here gos.
At "The Ballroom" a large pool room in Toms River NJ Grady came to visit the owner Tony who was a friend of his. Grady wanted to practice straight pool for an up coming tournament. I was the best straight pool player available so we played for several hours and had a great battle. Grady was very entertaining and funny. Several times he used words that I was unfamiliar with and I had to get an explanation.
Now I cherish the short time I spent with him even more.

Grady was practicing for that world straight pool event they used to have up in nyc,iam guessing,were he finished pretty good more then once,i will say it again GRADY will go down in history as possiablly the best all around player of all time,he did play all games at a very high level!and gamble his own money just as good or better then anyone ever in the game,the man would bet!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady was practicing for that world straight pool event they used to have up in nyc,iam guessing,were he finished pretty good more then once,i will say it again GRADY will go down in history as possiablly the best all around player of all time,he did play all games at a very high level!and gamble his own money just as good or better then anyone ever in the game,the man would bet!

You reminded me of something Grady said that day. It went something like this"I always have $5000 put aside to play anybody I don't know".
Thats a gambler.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know if it was this event. I don't remember the exact year but I will say it was between 1985 and 1991. Because the new "Ballroom" opened in '85 or so and I left NJ in '91.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Grady

I didn't know Grady personally, so therefore don't really have a story, but I always admired him and saw him as a man that had the abilities to do things far beyond the confines of the pool world if he had wished. A cereberal, intelligent man ( try doing the NY Times Crossword in 15 minutes-in pen-sometime if you want), Grady could have done many things. It is to his credit, and to our gain, that he loved pool. My love of pool in general, and one pocket specifically, has a lot to do with obscure one pocket instructional VHS videos featuring Grady and some guy in a stupid hat that should have never been shown on video. Grady made videos, DVDs, did commentary on matches, gambled, played world class matches that others did commentary on, did exhibitions, had a speaking role in The Color of Money, and pretty much made a life in pool that most players at any level would have to envy. I hope he was satisfied in his choice of pursuit, and I hope he realized the impact he had on others.

Krypto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady's Gentleman Ways

I took my young son to the DCC one year at the old Executive West. We arrived for one particular television match a little late, and we couldn't find a seat together. Grady was on the first row and noticed us looking through the stands for a place. I still remember him with his proper-style speech saying, "Well, that young man is more than welcome to sit here next to me." I knew who Grady was, and believe it or not, my thiteen-year old son did as well. He practically blushed as he sat next to the legend. As I watched the two from my seat high in the next section, I could see Grady engaging him in conversation. My son, of course, was all smiles. I later asked him what Grady had been saying to him during the match, and he told me that they were just talking about the game, the players, and pool in general. My son later qualified for the Junior Nationals and played in Arizona with some great pool players. He didn't win a match, but he still loves pool to this day. He doesn't remember a lot of things from those days, but he always remembers the day that he sat next to the great Grady Mathews. The man was a true gentleman in everyway, and the sport has lost an icon of a man that will not be forgotten. We will miss you very much Grady. But I am sure that God has a Gold Crown reserved just for you--and a Diamond too.

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
I never had the pleasure of meeting Grady, but I did overhear one of his stories...

He and four other guys went on a road trip to San Antonio. They didn't get any action. The windup was they all ended up playing each other...

RIP Grady

Attachments

• grady.gif
    grady.gif
    39.5 KB · Views: 227