Ink for signing cues

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
Hey Guys,
I'm having issues with signing. I bought a set of the Sakura Pigma Micron pens. Does this stuff ever dry? I use a thin CA sealer, sometimes with BLO and sometimes not. My drying issues happen with both. I sign the cue after sealer and before top coats. I've waited 2 days for the ink to dry, and it still smudges.
Am I the only one having this problem?

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
Forgot to mention, I use the .05 and .08 sizes of the pens, depending on if I'm signing over white or wood.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have found signing before sealer had the best results, Just don't make a mistake....lol. I have signed on sealer with the same pens and had no issue with drying BUT have had the finish reactivate the ink, depending which finish you use. When that happens, I wiped the finish off and then resign, let dry and then apply a thin CA over it then do the finish and everything goes fine after
Dave

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have that problem too using CA as a sealer. I sign on the CA tape off the area around the signature and spray a thin coat of clear acrylic over let it dry then put my top coats over that.

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
Signing without making a mistake isn't really an option for me. I'll try the spray. I know very little about spray finishes. Does it need to be acrylic? Is lacquer ok? I see it in gloss or matte. Does it make a difference?

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
be sure to get a pen the is water based..... write with it on paper... lick you finger and wipe it ......... if it smears... it's ok........ if it is not water based it may smear when finish is applied.... sign the cue let the ink dry a few minutes and then give a dusting of good automotive clear lacquer in a spray can......... 1 or 2 coats............ let it dry an hour or so and just scuff the area with sand paper before putting on the finish.......... clear lacquer never yellows

jkan101

jkan101
Silver Member
Why dont you talk to Todd about making some custom water slide signature decals for your cues, save you some time and aggravation.
Check out his website.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Why dont you talk to Todd about making some custom water slide signature decals for your cues, save you some time and aggravation.
Check out his website.
I have those too, for darker woods....the only problem is if the finish melts the decal....have had that happen. Using CA over it first solves that

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out his website.

Do you know what cue makers use those? I've seen then advertised but wanted to see what they look like before I made any decisions.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Do you know what cue makers use those? I've seen then advertised but wanted to see what they look like before I made any decisions.
There are some tricks to doing these. Also, the finish can desolve them, so testing on scraps is the best way to learn
20170419_152839.jpg
20170702_184223.jpg

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are much higher quality then what I was expecting. I was thinking model decals so was wondering who in their right mind would put that on a cue. I'll have to do some more research but now that I have a CNC my problem is kind of resolved.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use India ink after the 1st coat. Never had a problem other than occasionally overloading the pen with ink leaving larger letters or numbers. Wipe off with lacquer thinner, reapply.

Geosnookery

I’m not signing any cues but curating fossil, rock specimens daily. I once used ink on specimens but in the last decade or so use Archival ink pens that come in various tip sizes. Sometimes we’re cutting rocks using water or oil and afterward the lettering or numbers are as crisp and clear as when first applied whether left bare or coated with a dab of Polyurethane. I don’t order them but likely $10 or so each.

Attachments

• 73495AC4-0189-4215-91D4-2EA1A38EB6FF.jpeg
    73495AC4-0189-4215-91D4-2EA1A38EB6FF.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 109