Insurance Policy

kamdaswani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
need help guys..

am planning to take out an insurance policy for my cues as their collective value is getting substantial.

any idea how insurance companies would value such items ? cost basis / replacement value ?

or if any of you actually do valuations, your input and advice would be much appreciated.

if i can't get a policy issued then i may have to trim my collection down to about $50,000.-

really don't want to hold such a large inventory without protection...

at 50,000.- my basic home owners policy would cover "miscellaneous" items :)

thanks
kam

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/kamdaswani/TheGroup1.jpg

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I have inquired

into this. Your basic homeowners policy (for me renter's policy) covers as a property item at replacement value. Please note that it is only covered

Specific policies written for special items, verification of said items is needed as to content and value, and you have to discuss where and when the items are covered per their company's coverage. Plus, such a policy would probably be higher than you normally experience.

The best and cheapest policy is your attention to your collection, and your watchful eye and care for it when you are out and about.

I would suggest that you call yiour insurance agent and discuss it with him or her. I don't really know of any insurance company that might specialize in this area though.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My homeowner's policy only covers incidentals like this to $5000, not $50,000, and they are not considered part of contents if it is a collection, similarly to coins, etc. You need to insure them like you would jewelry, and they are independently insured to whatever value you choose, but if lost, stolen, burned, whatever, you would have some burden of proof to verify the value.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Insurance

Keep reciepts in a safe deposit box. Have appraisals for anything without a reciept. Video records or pictures are also a good thing to have.Take this information to your homes underwriter. They will be able to write you a seperate policy for your collection.
Nick :)

I used to work as a property claims adjuster for a large insurance company. It's the worst possible job in the world that does not involve slaughtering animals or working naked in sewage pipes.

There are two insurers that specialize in high society clients, and would offer the best coverage for collectible items. I did not work for either of these companies, so no loyalty BS here, just straight dope.

Fireman's Fund

Chubb

I directly linked to the info you are looking for, but read on for some details.

Not only does your homeowner's or renter's policy not cover your pool cue collection past the limit of coverage for personal property (which can be limited even further by limitations clauses in the policy), but it only covers your personal property from loss due to specified perils. So if one of your cues were to simply fall over and break, it would not be covered at all.

Homeowner's policies have three types of coverage; Coverage A (your physical home, garage, fences, sheds, etc.), Coverage B (your personal property, i.e. stuff not nailed down), and Coverage C (liability coverage for when your friend comes by, gets drunk, and breaks his neck while attempting to puke on your sofa). Forget Coverage C for this argument.

Coverage A COVERS your home UNLESS the cause of loss is EXCLUDED.

Coverage B COVERS your personal property ONLY if the property is damaged by a SELECT SET OF PERILS. This is an important distinction.

Damage to your home is covered unless it is caused by Flood, Volcano, War, Acts or Decisions of government authorities, etc. i.e. the exclusions.

Damage to your personal property is only covered if the damage is caused by certain events, such as fire, windstorm or hail, etc. Cue fell over and broke, sorry. Cue was eaten by moths, sorry. Cue got moldy in storage, sorry. There are many many scenarios in which your cues would not be covered. On top of that, your policy probably deals with replacement cost in a manner which will piss you off. Generally they pay you "actual cash value" up front, and replacement cost only if the item is replaced with an item of "like kind and quality". Depending of the insurer, or the adjuster who's mother just died, like kind and quality and actual cash value can mean many things. There is also a time limitation of one year for replacing the item. Try and get a Searing etc. within one year!

The only problem you are going to have is valuing the cues. Most special policies of the type I linked to above require independent appraisal. This costs money, and the insurer has the right to not accept the appraisal (before selling you the policy, after it's sold they are stuck).

I would contact an agent for each of those companies, see how they would go about valuing your stuff, how much the coverage costs, and decide based on that. Also, your current insurance company probably offers special riders to your homeowner's policy that cover these types of items in the same way, but be careful, policy language rules, and your agent generally has NO CLUE about claims handling.

Good luck.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
State Farm

I have State Farm insurance and mine has been insured for about a year or maybe 2.

I would have never thought of it but this was a topic here and later found out that another local player had done it too.

Wasnt a big deal, as I have about $25K worth of cues.

Good points.

1. I am paid if broken, stolen, name it, its covered.
2. Piece of mind.
3. Airlines, shipping it to and back as in repairs or refinishing.

Bad points.

1. The must have pics and descriptions before it is covered. So when I am in Louisville, they wanted me to take pics and email them before they were covered.

2. I would have preferred a $25K or $30K "blanket" because I buy and sell cues and it is a pain to have to document.

So far, its been worth it to me.

Ken

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:
I have State Farm insurance and mine has been insured for about a year or maybe 2.

I would have never thought of it but this was a topic here and later found out that another local player had done it too.

Wasnt a big deal, as I have about $25K worth of cues.

Good points.

1. I am paid if broken, stolen, name it, its covered.
2. Piece of mind.
3. Airlines, shipping it to and back as in repairs or refinishing.

Bad points.

1. The must have pics and descriptions before it is covered. So when I am in Louisville, they wanted me to take pics and email them before they were covered.

2. I would have preferred a $25K or $30K "blanket" because I buy and sell cues and it is a pain to have to document.

So far, its been worth it to me.

Ken

Would you feel comfortable giving a ballpark cost for your coverage. I would assume that there will be differences based on specific home location, but just curious.

kamdaswani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for all your input ...

will speak to the agent on monday with all this data .. let's see what i can work out ...

and if i can't, guess i'll be selling several cues :)

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big-Tattoo said:
Hi Simon,
no problem with 5 miles long.
Ralf

He, he! I don't think he will sell that one pal but we can only hope. I wouldn't stand in your way. Share the cues thats what I say.

Philip Green

Registered
I used to work as a property claims adjuster for a large insurance company. It's the worst possible job in the world that does not involve slaughtering animals or working naked in sewage pipes.

There are two insurers that specialize in high society clients, and would offer the best coverage for collectible items. I did not work for either of these companies, so no loyalty BS here, just straight dope.

Fundamental Insurance Brokers

Chubb

I directly linked to the info you are looking for, but read on for some details.

Not only does your homeowner's or renter's policy not cover your pool cue collection past the limit of coverage for personal property (which can be limited even further by limitations clauses in the policy), but it only covers your personal property from loss due to specified perils. So if one of your cues were to simply fall over and break, it would not be covered at all.

Homeowner's policies have three types of coverage; Coverage A (your physical home, garage, fences, sheds, etc.), Coverage B (your personal property, i.e. stuff not nailed down), and Coverage C (liability coverage for when your friend comes by, gets drunk, and breaks his neck while attempting to puke on your sofa). Forget Coverage C for this argument.

Coverage A COVERS your home UNLESS the cause of loss is EXCLUDED.

Coverage B COVERS your personal property ONLY if the property is damaged by a SELECT SET OF PERILS. This is an important distinction.

Damage to your home is covered unless it is caused by Flood, Volcano, War, Acts or Decisions of government authorities, etc. i.e. the exclusions.

Damage to your personal property is only covered if the damage is caused by certain events, such as fire, windstorm or hail, etc. Cue fell over and broke, sorry. Cue was eaten by moths, sorry. Cue got moldy in storage, sorry. There are many many scenarios in which your cues would not be covered. On top of that, your policy probably deals with replacement cost in a manner which will piss you off. Generally they pay you "actual cash value" up front, and replacement cost only if the item is replaced with an item of "like kind and quality". Depending of the insurer, or the adjuster who's mother just died, like kind and quality and actual cash value can mean many things. There is also a time limitation of one year for replacing the item. Try and get a Searing etc. within one year!

The only problem you are going to have is valuing the cues. Most special policies of the type I linked to above require independent appraisal. This costs money, and the insurer has the right to not accept the appraisal (before selling you the policy, after it's sold they are stuck).

I would contact an agent for each of those companies, see how they would go about valuing your stuff, how much the coverage costs, and decide based on that. Also, your current insurance company probably offers special riders to your homeowner's policy that cover these types of items in the same way, but be careful, policy language rules, and your agent generally has NO CLUE about claims handling.

Good luck.
Haha when your friend comes over and gets drunk and breaks his neck while puking on the sofa LOL, I bet this happens more often than you think.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You need a Personal Articles policy. I had it for my camera equipment for years as I took stuff when I traveled internationally or to Hawaii. They even paid when a flash head malfunctioned. I’ve pared down quite a bit and don't travel much, so i dropped all that. I cover a few pieces of my wife’s jewelry, at least the ones in the low-mid five-figures. The annual policy cost is usually reasonable. She lost one of the Bulgari earrings I gave her, and they paid immediately. I just dropped off the other one at the agent’s office. These policies are generally zero deductible.

You’ll need appraisals, preferably filed with them in advance (probably required). I have those for all the jewelry items.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I used what is called an "Inland Marine Policy or Rider" -- an all risks policy or addendum that has no geographic restrictions. Covered my guns, pool cues, and jewelry. Separate insured value on each item based on appraisals on big items and negotiated on smaller. No depreciation. Total losses -- ins. co. pays insured value. Katrina put 5 feet of water in my house and we put the policy through its paces -- worked perfectly. I cannot stress enough "all risks" because you are not having to depend on different policies with different provisions -- no wind/water/earth movement issues. Theft is covered, too. No geographical restrictions is important -- in car, in house, on boat, on airplane . . . Hong Kong to the Canal Zone. Talk to a good independent agent and double check what he tells you. Shop premiums.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I have not read a "standard" policy in a few years, but it used to be that pool cues were insured as "sporting goods" and there was a very small limit of liability for all items in this category (same way with "electronics/stereo"). Tread carefully and document all representations through writings from insurance agent/company, preferably signed -- you know the drill.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
There are "Collectables" policies out there that include coverage for cues, just about all perils, including shipping. All mine are insured under one of those.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do a lot of business insurance shopping annually, though brokers do the actual work.

The market has tightened significantly, whether due to the rona or the election or the policy writers thinking the economy is currently erroneously inflated and due a correction...they aren't currently writing coverages InThe manner of years past.