Intentional sharking or not?

Archie Bolton

Moderate sharking keeps the audience engaged.
Perhaps Matchroom is interested in maintaining situations that people would want to discuss, which is why there is no rule to sit still.
Barry Hearn mentioned that as a sports promoter, his favorite player is Earl Strickland.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Moderate sharking keeps the audience engaged.
Perhaps Matchroom is interested in maintaining situations that people would want to discuss, which is why there is no rule to sit still.
Barry Hearn mentioned that as a sports promoter, his favorite player is Earl Strickland.
Eek!!

nmh2008

Does Robbie have a poor reputation amongst the top players? The Tyler/Margaret Styer response to this whole thing felt a little bit personal – if they want to talk about professionalism, they should start by keeping their hands out of another man’s pockets. Calling for a fine and suspension for THAT is whack.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching some of those Philippine pool matches on youtube where money is flying back in forth, spectators have to get out of the way for them to shoot, marking the table before shooting, and all the movement of the spectators while they are shooting, and it not bothering the shooters, even for big money, I have to think that supposed sharking of a professional player is just gossip and nothing more.
Maybe what we need for professional pool is actually more supposed sharking. Really hard to believe stupid stuff like this actually bothers any professional pool player.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it was probably nervousness, capito used to be very fidgety. he has worked a lot on the mental side. i hadn't seen any of his matches before the filler match, but he looked like a changed man from last i saw him, much calmer and also a new rhythm to his game. not everything goes away though

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if your sitting in the chair put there so you are not in the way, you should not have to freeze movement to appease those that are looking to blame something on their misses. if they need you to move then they should ask.

in every sport there are distractions going on around you constantly. if you cannot adapt you are the problem. and need to correct it.

intentional ones that are obvious and have an effect are another thing.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha, Mike Panozzo deleted his original post trying to do damage control. May be too little too late. Good luck in putting out fire on socials like Facebook, this ain't some old traditional print media. Poor guy. "Not a good look" for him :LOL:
https://www.facebook.com/michael.pa...SnWEPL5sfq4UxcYBjFV7QnPnmdbfx9WszaHk6MZVVcuUl

p2.png

nmh2008

Haha, Mike Panozzo deleted his original post trying to do damage control. May be too little too late. Good luck in putting out fire on socials like Facebook, this ain't some old traditional print media. Poor guy. "Not a good look" for him :LOL:
https://www.facebook.com/michael.pa...SnWEPL5sfq4UxcYBjFV7QnPnmdbfx9WszaHk6MZVVcuUl

View attachment 758010
One thing I can say with 100% certainty is a casual person (I.E. not someone that dedicates time and energy to pool) who stumbled across this broadcast (1) would not have even noticed it and (2) definitely wouldn’t have thought it was somehow impacting the outcome of the game.

Panozzo (further exacerbated by Styers) literally made this into an issue.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
pro players are a complete joke that complain over things as petty as this. and worse for their followers that agree.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I can say with 100% certainty is a casual person (I.E. not someone that dedicates time and energy to pool) who stumbled across this broadcast (1) would not have even noticed it and (2) definitely wouldn’t have thought it was somehow impacting the outcome of the game.

Panozzo (further exacerbated by Styers) literally made this into an issue.
I was going to say the same exact thing, but you put it much more concisely then I could have.

jbart65

The same pro players deal with lots of distractions at events like the Derby.

Ok, I get it, pool is more like tennis than football or basketball. You want the noise at a minimum when players are shooting. Fine.

But geez. At my pool hall, there’s tvs all over, music, talking, drinking, loudmouth drunks and … none of it bothers me when I am down on a shot. It’s like there is only silence in my head.

Pro pool needs to be more raucous, not less, imo. It’s one reason the Mosconi cup is so great to watch. And why the Hanoi open last year was fantastic.

Last edited:

nmh2008

I was going to say the same exact thing, but you put it much more concisely then I could have.
There were people in the comments of the original post that seemed to think that the issue was Capito getting out of his chair before the balls all stopped moving. These are people that clearly love to play and watch pool and even after the video being clipped and posted and commented on, they didn’t even identify what the fuss was about.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nothing compared to Petri cleaning his shaft with a bright white beach towel while opponent down on shot. Neils or Albin

Glad to read it if it was Niels! He pulled the same move on an amateur that had opened up an early lead in a set after calling the amateur for far less. To his credit the amateur got off the shot and told Niels to behave.

Hu

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Tyler/Margaret Styer response to this whole thing felt a little bit personal – if they want to talk about professionalism, they should start by keeping their hands out of another man’s pockets. Calling for a fine and suspension for THAT is whack.
Tyler sounds like a class act :rolleyes:

tyler.jpg