Irving Crane interview --- some great stories and insight

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
Great stuff! This is Irving, a close friend of mine, just as I remember him, a consummate gentleman at and away from the table. He was in his early 70's when this 1978 interview took place, and he was still among the top ten straight pool players.

One thing I found fascinating is how Irving recalled the times the greatest legends of the game during his youth (Greenleaf, Ponzi, etc.) passing through his town in upstate New York. Years ago, he had told me about this, but he never mentioned that he was often the local player participating in the exhibitions. He obviously learned a lot from them, and promising players everywhere shouldn't take it lightly when they are afforded the opportunity to watch, or compete against, today's superstars.

I don't think I've ever met a classier gentleman who played pool professionally than Irving Crane. though I rhink Ralf Souquet conducts himself in a way that Irving would have greatly approved of and admired.
 
Last edited:
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I finally got around to watching these interviews & I have to tell you that I wish the modern athletes (not just pool players) would model their persona after Mr. Crane. What a well-spoken, gracious champion! I have a whole new level of respect for him.
 
Back
Top