Is $169 a bad price for a CF shaft?

Is $169 a bad price for a CF shaft

• Yes, too cheap

• Yes, too expensive

• No, great price

Results are only viewable after voting.

PracticeChampion

I found a Chinese company that advertises high quality carbon blanks, at a low price.

I emailed the company and discussed coating the shaft wood colored. The company said no problem ( under $75).

So yes a low cost Carbon shaft is doable.

I did not purchase yet, so buyer be ware! Attached is the site...
I can't speak for them and I'm sure all cheap shafts aren't the same but a few cheap ones I've touched have a very noticeable ridge running down them.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
We used to put a little spit on toilet paper and apply to the ding. It kind of pops the wood back if it is a small ding.
Yeah small dings. Hot water works a bit better... but the moisture will also raise the wood slightly and possibly cause a rough spot... requiring a bit of sandpaper just to smooth it back out.

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
Wha
What benefits does cf give you over maple shafts in breaking?
Cf break shafts are a lot stiffer which means you get better energy transfer. You don't have to break that hard to get the same power you would with a wood shaft, therefore you can focus more on controlling the cueball.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m waiting on a CF shaft that the cuemaker says will have a full wooden tenon. I don’t know how far it will go. He also will use a ferrule instead of a “vault plate.” I just don’t see this going well.

I am surprised manufacturers would not coat the Carbon shafts a wood color. I have looked at buying a couple blanks and having them made that way (just to tinker). I would call my shafts "The Crossover"... 😂

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't speak for them and I'm sure all cheap shafts aren't the same but a few cheap ones I've touched have a very noticeable ridge running down them.
If it has a ridge/seam it was made using roll/flag wrapping and not done correctly. Roll wrapping can leave a seam after curing. It needs to be turned/sanded off before markings/logos go on.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am surprised manufacturers would not coat the Carbon shafts a wood color. I have looked at buying a couple blanks and having them made that way (just to tinker). I would call my shafts "The Crossover"... 😂
Problem with coating is you run the danger of losing one of the key benefits of a cf shaft: its oh-so-slick finish. I'd much rather have a super-slick natural black finish over a sticky one that looked like wood. I couldn't care less if it looks like wood or not. I don't look at it while playing.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Leaving it black is better for marketing... easier to identify from a distance over all the other wood shafts out there.

Grimper

Konollen and JFlowers are selling entire cues WITH a CF shaft for 300bux and based on what i've heard/read they are selling the hell out of them. Low price isn't hurting their action. People that know the game and have some knowledge of equipment will buy a shaft at this price-point. The $$$$$=quality is often used by posers just wanting to flaunt their bankroll. I think most pool players are smarter than that. If its well made and plays good the word WILL get around. I'd try one now if they were available.

$300 vs $160 is a huge difference.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Problem with coating is you run the danger of losing one of the key benefits of a cf shaft: its oh-so-slick finish. I'd much rather have a super-slick natural black finish over a sticky one that looked like wood. I couldn't care less if it looks like wood or not. I don't look at it while playing.

Aren't they coated now?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
$300 is for a WHOLE cue. Not just the shaft.
Most people already own a butt though so that would in many of their opinions be $140 wasted for nothing when they already could or even prefer to use the butt they have. The choice of a $160 shaft, or $300 to get the shaft along with a butt you don't need, is an easy one for many/most.

If these $169 shafts make it to market though, the guy selling the $300 whole carbon fiber cue will probably be the first one to go ahead and offer just his shafts for the same price though. He already values them for more or less around that amount, he just won't currently let you buy them separately but I would have to think that would change as soon as their is a shaft competitor in the same price category.